Puerto Viejo Favorites

• LisaValencia's Profile Photo

NOW is the Time to Visit the Caribbean

by LisaValencia Written Aug 28, 2011
    Romantic Puerto Viejo

Favorite thing: What many people do not realize is that the weather on Costa Rica’s Caribbean side is quite different from the rest of the country. When it is rainy season on the Pacific side it’s dry and sunny here in the Caribbean, where I live. Yet the temperatures are milder than mid summer. Ask anyone else who lives here, September is the most beautiful month of the year.
    In September and often into mid October, the skies are bright and sunny and the water is calm and clear. Yesterday I was at everybody’s favorite beach in Punta Uva and it was like a HUGE swimming pool. There were families out for a Sunday picnic; there was a beach wedding held in the afternoon, yet the beach was not too crowded for a lovely swim. And there’s river there that flows into the ocean - with a rope swing - the kid’s favorite.
    All year long Puerto Viejo is a great place to go with its good restaurants, great live music every night and warm friendly people. But if you come in September you have the special bonus of practically perfect weather every day. I hope to see you here soon!

Fondest memory: When I am away from my Caribbean home I really miss the lovely people here, the gorgeous beaches and the chill relaxed attitude.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Leaving is a hard thing to do

by arasnosliw Written Jul 12, 2005

waiting for the bus to take me away

Fondest memory: I’m waiting for the bus to take me away from Puerto Viejo. Kids’ colorful paintings adorn the trashcans and buildings. It’s hard to part with such a beautiful and laid-back town, but I knew that if I stayed any longer I may have spent the rest of my vacation here. It’s sad but true. I encountered many people here who have been down here indefinitely for weeks or months. They become so laid-back that it turns into utter laziness. Who knows if they’ll ever leave. Bye bye, Puerto Viejo. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you again.

• big scary insect

by arasnosliw Written Jul 12, 2005

a crunchy meal!

Favorite thing: What in the **** is this? It looks like a giant mutated grasshopper. Well, whatever it was, it made quite the fantastic photo. The sucker kept scratching me with its needle-like feet. And after I held this and snapped a few shots I had orange pus of some sort all over my hand. If anyone would kindly inform me as to what this is so I don’t have to go do some extensive google search, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Beaches

• don't you wanna live here on the beach, literally?

by arasnosliw Written Jul 11, 2005

home sweet home

Fondest memory: This is a surf bum’s paradise. Great waves, laid-back atmosphere, no big crowds. Such a paradise in fact, that I encountered a family just living on the beach. They had their pick up truck parked on the beach nestled in some trees. Some hammocks were strung up. Their baby was running around buck-naked. The smells of food cooking in an outdoor fire permeated the beach. Don’t forget the dog; it would bark at passerbyers and keep guard of the family’s most treasured possessions – their surfboards. They would just sit back and relax all day in the shade, waiting for some good waves to catch.

• Surfing

Instant Answers: Puerto Viejo

Comments

Puerto Viejo Favorites

Reviews and photos of Puerto Viejo favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Viejo sightseeing.