Puerto Viejo Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Puerto Viejo

Chile Rojo: Chile Rojo - Excellent Curries

by sean420 Updated Nov 18, 2007

Chicken curry - YUMMY!

Immensely popular spot which is packed every night. The curries are all really good but could have been more spicy. They offer a breakfast special ($4) which are good as well. They also do an all you can eat sushi ($12) on Thursday nights but I've heard from several people that the service is unusually slow and they only bring you one or two pieces of sushi at a time.

Favorite Dish: The chicken curry with rice was pretty darn tasty!

• yvrguy2's Profile Photo

Selvin's: We're talking local cuisine...

by yvrguy2 Written Jan 17, 2004

It serves 2 main dishes every night and stays open till they run out of food. No menu, the waitress just "sings" it to you. Place only has about 5-6 tables and could not serve any more than about 20 people max. The place is not for the squeamish types. If fish eyes staring at you on your plate bother you you, stick with MacDonalds and don't come here.

Favorite Dish: Fish (the other was chicken)

• Lotus Garen Restaurant: Jordan's Jacuzzi Suites

by dkjg33 Updated Mar 13, 2007

This was the best meal we had on our trip. The seafood is so fresh and the sushi is endless and actually quite affordable. We ate like kings and queens! We decided that we liked this place so much that we inquired about the cabinas in the back. They were these amazing rooms for rent which were really romantic and had air conditioners and jacuzzis in the room! We were amazed! This is the hidden gem of Puerto Viejo. Our next trip, we plan to stay here...the hotel part is apparently called Jordan's Jacuzzi Suites. Jordan is this great guy from Chicago of all places, and the whole place has a real family feel. We plan to make it our home away from home when we return to PV.

Favorite Dish: All you can eat Sushi!!!

El Loco Natural: Awesome meal and entertainment

by sean420 Written Sep 3, 2006

The best meal I had in Puerto Viejo was at El Loco Natural. Located on the second story of a building this open air restaurant serves excellent Thai and caribbean fusion dishes. Some nights they also have live caribbean style music. Best to get there early as this place fills up fast and people tend to linger and listen to the music.

We had orderves, cocktails, 3 beers, and entrees and it came to about $24/person including tax and tip

Favorite Dish: Peanut citrus sauce over rice and vegetables - soooo good!

• Lidrokz's Profile Photo

Bread & Chocolate: mmmmmmmm

by Lidrokz Written Mar 23, 2009

We love this place. The breakfasts are excellent...real strip bacon too. The coffee is served in individual press type containers. They have really nice baked goods & the truffles are to die for.

Favorite Dish: I love the fact that we could actually get bacon strips just as good as we get in Canada.

• Lidrokz's Profile Photo

Cili Rojo Restaurant: They saw us coming

by Lidrokz Updated Mar 23, 2009

We were last at the Chili Rojo in Dec. 2008 & it was down near the beach. Since then it has opened in the new mall type building on main street. I'm sure the prices will be even higher now.

Favorite Dish: We had burgers...not bad...not great. We also had the 2 for 1 Mojitos...they were good but the price was pretty steep so the 2 for 1 deal was basically mute. For 4 of us to have 2 sinks each & burgers...over $60.00 US! Ouch!!! We told our very good friend who lives there how much it cost & she flipped & went & confronted the waitress. She asked why it had cost so much??? The waitresses response..."they were tourists". We won't be back.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Tasty Waves: Tasty Waves

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 1, 2013

A beachside bar/restaurant run by a group of people from California I think. Stopped in for something to eat about 7pm, and had a couple tacos and a beer. They run free movies on a wall at 7:30 and 9:30 too, so sat around and watched that. They gave out free popcorn. Not much else to do at night anyway, so it was nice. The next day they had a band for their 3 year anniversary, and $2 tacos.

They have a pool table too.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Veronica's Place: Mostly veg restaurant

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 1, 2013
    cutting a coconut

Veggie restaurant upstairs. Big menu, mostly vegetarian, good juices.

I ordered a coconut water, but they were out of coconuts. No problem, the guy stepped over the railing, walked across the corrugated roof to a coconut tree and cut 1 off the tree.

• Salsa Brava: the Bad and the Ugly

by jerseyboy07030 Written Mar 3, 2008

AVOID! CLIP JOINT! AVOID!

One fine evening this past February, my wife and I went for a stroll along the main drag of P.V. in search of a restaurant. We were suckered into trying our luck at Salsa Brava. The torches, the waterfront location, the 2-for-1 cocktail special, the spiel of a drunken old ex-pat from New York--we bought the pitch hook, line and sinker.

Straight out of the gate, there was trouble. Something about the 2-for1 cocktails; a qualification. My wife smoothed it over. Two drinks arrived.

We ordered entrees. Tuna, Japanese style for me; calamari for my wife. The plates arrived. My tuna tasted fine, but was raw in the middle. I told my wife I wanted to send it back for more cooking--and by the way, how was the calamari? She said it was like rubber. I tried to cut it. Sure enough, it was like a Bridgestone. Impossible.

I summoned the waitress, a young Tica, and told her the following: I was enjoying the tuna, but would like it broiled until the was medium in the middle. My wife, unable to cut the calamari (see for yourself, show it to the chef, etc), would like to order another dish. The waitress had no trouble with my request for additional cooking time; she had trouble, however, with my wife's request for a substitute entree. She made a face and acquiesced. My wife ordered the same tuna that I had ordered.

A few minutes passed. The waitress brought out my tuna, which presumably had spent time on the broiler. As she was placing it before me, I requested that she please keep my entree warm until my wife's entree was ready so that we could eat at the same time. The waitress said no.

SAY WHA? I said, my Jersey blood beginning to boil. You mean to tell me that my wife and I have to eat in shifts?!?

Correct, I was informed. The kitchen wasn't set up to keep entrees warm.

Things were getting uglier, but once again my wife defused the confrontation by suggesting that we share entrees; we'd share mine, then share hers when it arrived. I tossed a mental coin. Heads, I turn over my table and look for a fight, devil take the hindmost; tails, out of deference to civility, I suck wind and we eat. Tails came up. My wife and I shared the entrees, but as you might imagine, the dinner was ruined.

Getting our check was the last straw. The waitress ignored all our requests for the tab until we got up and began walking out. All of a sudden the check appeared.

Stay out of this joint. The food is overpriced and the service is worse than awful. They treat diners with absolute contempt.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Surfing

• El Dorado: If you don't want to get ripped off......

by kcroswell Written May 2, 2008

My boyfriend and I were lured into this one restaurant, located right off the main street in Puerto Viejo, because of their happy hour which was 2 for 1 cocktails. The special was from 3pm-6pm and stated so on their sign they had placed out on the street. As we cruised along the road, we noticed the sign and decided that we would come back when happy hour was in business. When finally coming to the restaurant around 4:45pm, we sat down at the bar and ordered two cocktails. The girl, a very unfriendly tica, made our drinks and gave us our bill. Problem #1: The bill didn't include the happy hour price. When my boyfriend asked her about the happy hour special, without even eye contact the whole time, the girl responds back with, "the sign isn't out so you don't get the special." My boyfriend tried again saying that the special was done at 6pm and it wasn't even 5pm yet. She then responds with, "the sign isn't out, so you don't get the special." Not wanting to argue, he decides to just pay and we'll leave because he was so mad that they were ripping us off. Not even five minutes had passed where the girl went outside, grabbed the sign, and putt it more in an area for people to see it. So rude! Problem #2: They charged us $9 per cocktail. I mean, it was ridiculous how expensive these two cocktails were. Needless to say, the terribly rude bartender girls and the shady business they conduct there were enough for me to come home and write about it. DO NOT GO TO EL DORADO if you're a tourist. They hate you. No joke.

Favorite Dish: I didn't eat the food to know if it was good. We were too turned off by the bill of the drinks and the mean service that we didn't want to blow anymore money or waste our time.

• Study Abroad

Stanford's: Stanford's - dont bother

by sean420 Written Nov 16, 2007

We were promptly brought our drinks along with our appetizer of guacamole and chips. The guacamole was good but the chips were pretty soggy with the oil used to fry them. We then waited for a really long time for our arroz con pollo. It was almost as if they had to wait for the rice to grow and the chicken to hatch and mature so they could make our meal. I don't know if the cook forgot or was taking a long break, getting high or what. We saw other dinners waiting quite some time as well. I guess when the tips are included in the bill there isn't much incentive for fast service. We won't be going back to Stanford's.

Lizard King: Lizard King - Good food but slooooow service

by sean420 Written Nov 18, 2007

We ordered chips and guacamole, tacos, and enchiladas. The chips and guacamole took a loooong time to arrive (30 minutes) and then we didn't get our main courses for another 30 minutes after that. The food was all really good but I wouldn't recommend it based on the slow service.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

El Loco Natural: The best food in town

by easterntrekker Written Feb 3, 2007

You have to look up to see this. We loved it here. Wonderful atmosphere and the best food. Very fresh. They serve chicken or fish with several sauce options.

Favorite Dish: I loved the spicey coconut chicken!!

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Lotus Garden: Sushi!!

by easterntrekker Written Feb 3, 2007

If you´re in the mood for sushi this is the place. Made with a caribbean twist and using local ingredients. Good!! Nice setting too.

• Singles

• sean420's Profile Photo

Bread and Chocolate: Excelent sandwiches!

by sean420 Written Nov 16, 2007

Grilled cheese and salad

Fantastic sandwiches -
    jerk chicken = really good
    grilled cheese and salad = wow!

The chocolates are completely out of this world.

Instant Answers: Puerto Viejo

Comments

Puerto Viejo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Puerto Viejo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Viejo sightseeing.