Monte Verde Travel Guide

Monte Verde Things to Do

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

by ZeekLTK Written Apr 26, 2011

If you're only going to go ziplining in one place in Costa Rica, make it Monteverde!

We went with Extremo Canopy Tours (set up by our hotel, Cabinas El Pueblo), and they even came and picked us up from our hotel. The price was $45 per person and it was definitely worth it!

You get a quick demonstration on how to zipline and then off you go. There were probably anywhere from 8-10 ziplines that we did, plus a free fall drop (while connected to two ropes), a "Tarzan" swing, and a final "superman" zipline where you go basically laying on your stomach (if you could "lay" in mid-air) so that you can look down as you go over the vast landscape.

It was awesome! If we had stayed in Monteverde any longer I would have probably wanted to do it again.

You are welcome to bring your camera with you (I didn't because I was worried it might fall or something, but I felt like if I had brought it it would have been completely fine) or they have their own photographer who takes pictures throughout and then you can buy the CD at the end for $10 (or 5000 colones).

If you are even remotely near Monteverde, you HAVE to do this!

• Adventure Travel

• by endbegins Written Jun 7, 2005

You can get in alone or with a local guide. They all say it's better with the guide. I don't think you'd be able to find any of the typical birds by yourself (quetzal, tucan,etc)
    The best place for Botanists: hundreds of different plants, trees, bushes, flowers, etc.

Quetzal

• by endbegins Written Jun 7, 2005

Imagine yourself flying, suspended on a cable, for 500 m long and 115 m high.
    That's the highest and longest tirolina in Monteverde, one of the several you'll have to ride on, on your 1,5 hour trip over the forest.
    Definetely an absolute must¡¡¡
    Very safe and lots of fun.

Monte Verde Hotels

Monte Verde Nightlife

• by dave&jenn Written Sep 16, 2005

It was quiet the evening we were there, and that was exactly what we were looking for.
    Service, without being obnoxious (Thankfully this seems the norm in Costa Rica).

Dress Code: None, that we know of . I had shorts and a button-down shirt that I'd worn all day, Jenn Had a skirt and , um, something else (I'm a guy! Dammit!) We went walking afterward, so its pretty casual.

• by endbegins Written Jun 7, 2005

There's hardly one in the whole town but it's quite nice and fun. Ask for direction at the hotel, you can't miss it. Young locals, young Americans, not that young Spanish, hanging around. Cheap drinks and music till quite late. Good place.

Dress Code: As casual as you can or want.

• Monte Verde Hotels

1 Hotels in Monte Verde

Monte Verde Transportation

• by dave&jenn Written Sep 16, 2005

Take a cab, or walk.
    The cabs are hilarious, sorta like tame 4-wheeling.
    To get one from town, they all line up across the street from the La Esperanza Market, in Santa Elena...like all four, haha. Theyre very reasonable, we thought.
    To get into town, just ask the desk at youre lodging and they show up promptly...and they're quite polite (so says my wife).

• Casino and Gambling

Monte Verde Shopping

• by endbegins Written Jun 7, 2005

In the main street, there're several stores. One of them is quite big and has got everything you could buy as a souvenir: t-shirts, coffee, dolls, wooden boxes, parrots, mugs, stones, post cards, etc. at reasonable prices.

Instant Answers: Monte Verde

Comments

Monte Verde Travel Guide
Map of Monte Verde