Montezuma Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by Snipernurse
  • My horse Barney and my friend's horse Coyote
    My horse Barney and my friend's horse...
    by Kindra
  • The isolated area of waterfalls and natural pools
    The isolated area of waterfalls and...
    by Kindra

Best Rated Things to Do in Montezuma

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Hike up to waterfall, stop off for a massage

by Kindra Written Jul 18, 2006

The river leading up to Montezuma waterfall

On your way up to the waterfall, there is a first little part where there are very small falls and a small natural pool to bathe in. A local told us that if you sit in the pool with your back against the mini fall, it acts as a natural massage and helps soothe tired muscles (especially from bad mattresses while travelling!)

• ginguba's Profile Photo

Visit the waterfalls

by ginguba Written Feb 1, 2006

You can get to the Montezuma waterfalls from a bridge not far from town to the south follow a river to a dramatic falls. A second set of falls, is found further upriver. It´s a great combination of jungle, ocean and fresh water in nature's natural jacuzzis. Monkey families and colorful birds are often seen and their music accompanies you along the way.

Reserva Absoluta Cabo Blanco

by Snipernurse Written Jun 3, 2008

I'm not sure I can be an unbiased critic of this particular outing. I set out for the Cabo Blanco beach at the end of my trip, sore from long day of surfing and tired from battling a day of light travelors diarrhea. I expected for the bus to drop us off at the beach, I wore sandals and shorts and did not bring water. Reality hit hard. Getting to Cabo Blanco is a bit of a hike, 3 miles I believe, through jungle. The humidity in this reserve challenges any area I have ever been, I can not remember the last time I was so drenched in sweat, and when I arrived, tired, feet worn, thirsty, I sat on the beach for a few minutes as the sun beat down on me and was to worn to enjoy any beauty. If you want to make a day of seeing Cabo Blanco please come prepared with lots of water, hiking shoes, take ample time to get to the beach, enjoy the forest and rest in the shade you can find at the beach. Overall I think if you are prepared you can enjoy this trip, however, be aware of the difficulties and plan accordingly

• andy21's Profile Photo

Beach time

by andy21 Written Nov 10, 2004

Beach

The beaches are great.
    Go to the left from the town. The beaches are endless. Big waves and lots of fun.
    Be a bit carefull with the tides.
    Can be pretty heavy sometimes.
    Ask some locals or at the tourist information.

• Diverdan28's Profile Photo

Talk to Paul

by Diverdan28 Written May 11, 2008

Paul is an American expatriate who lives on the beach in Montezuma. Seen by some as a bit of a nuisance, he is actually quite an interesting fellow. He is on the main street every morning sweeping up the garbage in hopes of a bit of compensation from the merchants. He pan-handles most of the rest of the day but is more than happy to engage in conversation for as long as you want (or can take). He has quite a storey to tell and some of it rings very true. He is a VietNam vet and is well versed on that country from that era. He also has a great sense of humor and took my good natured scolding for using my "donation" for beer rather than the orange juice he had promised. Next time I'll buy the juice myself for him!
    Rather than being intimidated or scared of him, talk a few moments to sit down and get to know him. He's probaby one of my most lasting memories of Montezuma.

Day Trip to Tortuga Island

by Snipernurse Written Jun 3, 2008

Another popular and fun tour from Montezuma is a day tour to Tortuga Island. Again shop around as many tour operators offer this. I believe I paid 40$ a person for the full day. You depart from the beach in the morning and head out to the island area, stopping for an hour of snorkeling. You arrive to the Island for a lunch, laying in the sand or playing beach volleyball. The island itself is a wildlife sanctuary and is access to most areas besides one patch of beach is restricted. The island is gorgeous, with white sand and great shady palm trees. There is a souvenir shop (an expensive one) on the island as well. You have the option of going for a second snorkeling trip or lounging around the island. Engage in a beach volleyball game with some locals and enjoy the fresh cooked lunch. This tour is definately worth a day

• travelintraina's Profile Photo

It's the Pacific!

by travelintraina Written Oct 21, 2006

Shoot, you're at a remote tropical beach town in Costa Rica. Go to the beach! Swim, sunbathe, rent a boat and go fishing or snorkeling. The closest beach isn't that great, but a 5 minute walk north of town puts you on some fantastic smooth, sandy beaches. Also great for seeing the gull vs. crab battle when the tide comes in. I never knew crabs could jump so far!

• Excellent Photography Tour

by bentaylor49 Written Oct 6, 2010

I've wanted to learn how to take photos for a long time and finally, I found out the best way to do it while on vacation. John Ussenko is a professional photographer offering photography tips and techniques. He helped me understand the basic principles of aperture, shutter, and composition. The best part, we did this all in the rainforest. I have some incredible pictures. And best of all, I finally understand how to use my camera settings. Thank you John. I recommend taking John's Costa Rica Color Photography tours if you have a camera, period. He goes above and beyond to help you. His positive attitude and passion for photography is welcoming. He makes you feel like a pro yourself.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

• ginguba's Profile Photo

It's not far from Malpaís

by ginguba Written Feb 1, 2006

St. Teresa beach

From Montezuma you can check out the surroundings, and not very far is Malpaís. We usually went to St.Teresa beach in Malpaís. There's a bit more about it in my Malpaís page.

• dawnmc's Profile Photo

watch the surfers... or try it yourself...

by dawnmc Written May 1, 2005

Some local guys like to surf right next to the rocks, looks pretty dangerous to me... but also like fun if you know what your doing...

• Surfing
    • Beaches

Movie Night

by Snipernurse Written Jun 3, 2008

Shame on me for not remembering, but a resteraunt along the main drag of Montezuma has movies most nights, on nice plasma screen T.V.'s, relax with some dessert and a few drinks and enjoy a show

• tracynew72's Profile Photo

Great place to buy jewelry and Crafts

by tracynew72 Written Jun 22, 2006

making my necklace

as I mentioned earlier, some of my favorite jewelry came from Montezuma, Costa Rica. Most of it custom made!

• Adventure Travel
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Montezuma

Comments

Montezuma Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Montezuma things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montezuma sightseeing.