Quepos Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Quepos

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Guided jungle walk

by Helga67 Updated Feb 19, 2006

We walked the trails of Manuel Antonio NP with an experienced naturalist guide. The walk took about 3 hours and we paid 20 USD. The guide gave an excellent in-depth explanation of the natural history and the wildlife of the park. He had a good fieldscoop with him which gave us the opportunity to see the animals up close. We were even able to make close-up pics through the fieldscope. It was a great experience. I recommend it to everyone.

We were very satisfied with our guide Juan. You can find his website below.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Manuel Antonio National Park

by Helga67 Updated Feb 19, 2006

Manuel Antonio NP - Cathedral point

Although it is Costa Rica's smallest national park, it is one of the most beautiful and bio-diverse areas in the country. Manuel Antonio contains a charming combination of rain forest, beaches and coral reefs. The beaches are one of the most beautiful in the country. The forest is home for sloths, iguanas, howler monkeys, white-face monkeys and the rare squirrel monkeys.

One of the special features of the park is Cathedral Point. With its forest topped cliffs this peninsula was once an island, but is now connected to the coast by a thin strip of island. This land bridge now forms the spine separating the parks two most popular beaches, Playa Espadilla Sur and Playa Manuel Antonio.

To get to the entrance of the park you have to wade across the shallow Río Camaronera. During high tide there are little rowboats available to bring you to the other side for a small fee.

The park entrance fee is US$7.
    Opening hours: 7 am to 4 pm. Closed on Monday.
    There's secure parking near the entrance: 1000 colones.

• Suzanne123's Profile Photo

Dolphin and whale watch

by Suzanne123 Updated Nov 1, 2005

Now Quepos is not on the Osla penninsula which is the optimal place to view these beauties, but there is still the chance to view them here. Your local hotel will book a spot on a private or chartered boat. I took the Pink Panther boat where our guide said they saw both whales and dolphins on the previous day. We saw pods of baby spotted dolphins on our trip three times and it was so exciting! Without being charged more, we were provided alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and a seafood/pasta salad. We snorked around a rock that attracted some fish, and we swam on our own private beach in Manuel Antonio. The guide provided very little useful dialogue during the trip, but it was a very enjoyable two-hour excursion. $60.00 per person. I booked mine in Quepos with Alvro at the inexpensive hotel Mar y luna (on the central avenue).

• Sailing and Boating
    • Whale Watching

• ppsskk's Profile Photo

Hike Manuel Antonio Park to Beach

by ppsskk Written Oct 17, 2005

Take a hike through the Manuel Antonio Rainforest Park to a great beach. Hike is not too strenuous and you get some great views of the ocean. Also have the chance to experience a rain forest close up. The hike is about 20-30 minutes to the beach where the water is warm and sun is bright. The beach is a bit "commercial" but nothing like the states or any other overhyped touristy places. Also, keep an eye out for the monkeys by the beach. They are all over the place in the trees at the edge of the forest as people feed them (which they probably shouldn't do).

Manuel Antonio beach

by BEETLE_VERTE Written Mar 10, 2005

Manuel Antonio Beach

Calmer, sweeter, purer than Jaco beach (about 50km south), the Manuel Antonio beach offers you white sand and blue water with a little less waves.

The main street is fringed by gifts and fruits kiosks. A few restaurants too, Cafe del Mar is the one we choose for a light and fresh salad and many many fruit juices.

Lounge chairs and umbrella on the beach welcome tourists (I'm not quite sure if you have to rent them but we spent the entire afternoon there without being ask for money).

The sun could amost be too much, be sure to protect yourself correctly and drink a lot...!

Crocodiles at the Rio Tarcoles

Wild Crocodiles

On the road south to Quepos and Manuel Antonio, about an hour before you get there, you will go over a big bridge over the Rio Tarcoles. You cannot miss it. There will be dozens and dozens of cars pulled over. There is a small warning sign about crocodiles. And sure enough, park your car & walk over to the bridge, and look over the side to see many crocodiles in the river. In fact, these are some of the largest crocodiles in the world.

Surfing at Manuel Antonio Beach

Little Surfer Girl

I took a 3 hour surf lesson at MASS (Manuel Antonio Surf School). It was $55 and I had the instructor all to myself. It was a lot of fun, and I felt very safe. This was my first time, and we did not go into the deep water. The school is set up right on the beach at Manuel Antonio, so you can't miss it.

• Water Sports
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Surfing at Manuel Antonio

Surf's Up

• Diving and Snorkeling

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo

by frank_delargy Updated Feb 14, 2005

Red Squirrel monkeys

Well, I'm guessing that the reason you are travelling to Quepos is because you want to see Manuel Antonio. If that is not the case and you are here, please make a point of going down to the beach and walking into the park.
    I have more details on the park in my Costa Rica page.

Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio

by BEETLE_VERTE Updated Feb 8, 2005

Manuel Antonio Park

Whether you like wild tropical nature, sandy virgin beaches, limpid waters or hiking in humid forest, you'll enjoy this place. A contrasting mix of paradisiac beaches along the curves of the peninsula and wild, deep, green, rain forest.

Apparently, with a guide, you can see both marine and terrestrial wildlife. But without one, we only heard a few animals run away... saw insects, reptiles and pelicans... and heard howler monkeys (which, when you never saw one, sounds like raging King Kong... quite impressive!). We also gase at numerous deserted beaches and choose one to our convenience to bathe a little. The water was calmer than in Jaco and even Manuel Antonio, since it's more secluded.

Bring drinking water and fruits (not sold inside the park), bathing suit and towel, shades and hat, sunscreen, walking shoes but you could easily walk the path in sandals. Enjoy!

PS The first part of the park will be the continuation of the city beach, but since it's inside the park, much less crowded and with no vendors. Entree fees may be worth it just for that piece and quiet! (6$ to get in, around 20$ more each for a guide)

More details and pictures of what we saw in the travelogue of my Quepos page

Went back a year later. Maybe we were luckier, maybe we knew what to look for, but we saw a lot of wildlife, even without a guide. Spider, anteaters, howler monkey, capucino monkey, agouti, coati, iguanas, ... Had a blast: 4 hours walking the paths, picnic in the rest area (table, water, ...) and the afternoon on the beach looking at pelicans fish.

• Photography

Sunset on the ocean

by BEETLE_VERTE Written Feb 8, 2005

Sunset on the ocean

I know, this is silly. And maybe as boring as a monday morning for half the people in the world. But this was my first time: a sunset on the ocean! I had a few sunrises (not as fun, not as romantic!), but in Manuel Antonio, up in the hill with the most beautiful scenery before me, I saw my first sunset on the ocean. And it was beautiful!

Sunset sail

by laura4n8 Updated Sep 21, 2004

For a different view of Manuel Antonio, Quepos and the neighboring Puntarenas beaches go on a sail boat. The one we booked was through Sunset Sails in Quepos. They market the sail is as a sunset sail -- which funny enough was at 9 a.m. in the off season (to beat the rain, they say). We saw a hunchback whale that played about 100 feet from the boat. We anchored and went snorkeling (Man! Those fish aren't shy!). And the captain fed us fish, rice, pineapple and ice cream!

Our captain's name was Minor and he was a gem! When he welcomed me on the boat, he said "Before the sail is over, you and I will have plans."

"Oh, really?"" I said. Of course, we didn't but I think it was more due to his attraction to men than to anything else. :)

The sail lasted about three hours. The water was rough when we went out and many people got a little seasick. But Minor swears it's only rough after a heavy rain.

• School Holidays
    • Singles
    • Sailing and Boating

by laura4n8 Written Sep 16, 2004

The beach inside Manuel Antonio Park

Manuel Antonio Park has the best variety of animals of any place I've seen. Plus, the beach beaches in the area are located inside the entrance.

The cost of entry is $6 US dollars. You also can pay in colones. The fee covers entry for the entire day. You can bring in food and towels and relax on the beach all day and take breaks to walk through the park and see some of the animal life.

The trails are great. One takes you to the top of the hill and provides an expansive and beautiful view of the water and islands. That same trail passes by a waterfall and through some very thick foliage.

You also can hire a guide outside the park to show you around the park and point out some of the animals you may not be able to see on your own.

• Singles

• jag17's Profile Photo

Monkeys Galore

by jag17 Written May 12, 2004

How Cute Am I?

The park is 1700 acres, and is absolutely beautiful. I could have watched the monkeys all day long. Seeing the animals in their natural environment was an incredible experience. The park is small enough to explore on your own, however a guide will point out many things you might otherwise miss. The photo ops are endless.

Canopy Tour

by laura4n8 Updated Feb 14, 2004

My friend Lisa swinging with our tourguide Erik

A canopy tour in Quepos is a must! I can't remember the name of our tour group but they are all probably about the same. We did about four hours of zip lines and repelling through the canopy of the forests. Although we didn't see much animal life (except a good number of reptiles like dart frogs and iguanas) our guides stopped every few minutes to have us smell some kind of leaf, touch a plant or taste something. Then after the thrill of zipping through the tops of the trees, we swam in a nearby stream and then had a rollercoaster of a ride back to town. I really don't see how those trucks make it very long.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Quepos

Comments

Quepos Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Quepos things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Quepos sightseeing.