Places to eat in San José

Most Viewed Restaurants in San José

Sangria: Nice hotel bar-restaurant

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 7, 2015

This restaurant is attached to the Best Western Irazu. The staff are friendly but their English is not very good. I checked the menu and it has some good options. The Filet Mignon caught my eye, especially for the price. So I gave it a try.

The meal was good although I order the steak medium and it came out rare. Still good. It came with only home fry type potato and covered in a mushroom sauce which is not mentioned on the menu. The steak was also wrapped on the outside with a strip of beacon, again not mentioned on the menu. The portion was rather small which explains the affordable price for Filet Mignon.

I would eat here again but not go out of my way to visit when in San Jose.

• Singles

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Chelles: Great for late night or breakfast

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 6, 2015

Some years ago I ate here several time late at night for a snack. Chelles is rather small with maybe 8-10 tables. This visit I stopped in for breakfast. Staff took my order right away and the food was out nearly as fast. This is unusual in Costa Rica.

I ordered the eggs with rice and beans. It also came with fried plantains. The meal was good but a few of the plantains were too greasy. Chelles also makes their own hot sauce that is tasty but very hot. Use sparingly.

Overall a good option for breakfast.

El Gran Pan: Nice pastries

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 6, 2015

Tis is a nice little bakery at the very busy intersection of route 2 and Calle 9. Plenty of options. However nothing is really labeled so you must know what you're selecting or you may have a big surprise. I ordered what I thought was a chocolate croissant but it turned out to be black beans. On the inside was some marinated meat. It did taste ok but when you're expecting to bite into chocolate and get beans and meat was strange.

Monday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Saturday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Sunday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm

El Patio Del Balmoral: Not Bad with an interesting menu

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 4, 2015

I stopped in late one night. Checked out the menu and definitely had some interesting items. One that caught my eye was the Pizza A La Tica. The description states it is "mashed black beans, chorizo, tomato, hearts of palms, cheese and avocado. Sounds great! Took a seat and of course, when it came time to order, the were not making pizza. From what I can tell it was too late at night. Only 9:00pm.

Well I decided to stay. It is a nice place attached to the Hotel Balmoral. I eventually ordered the Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken). Sounds boring but the rice was full of peas, corn and carrots. It wasn't bad.

I will definitely return to try that pizza.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

La Dona: Typical Soda

by dustmon Written Dec 14, 2011

Around the corner from the Ritzli Hotel, we had a typical meal of rice/beans, chicken and salad with a Pepsi for about $8 each---missed out on the special of the day since we got there after 2pm...good local vibe...

La Dona restaurant

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Alma de Cafe: Cafe inside Teatro Nacional

by dustmon Updated Dec 14, 2011

This is the place everyone says to come and have coffee and people watch around the National Theater---we did that once---great Cafe Britt coffee and great views of the park across the street from the window table. We also came back for lunch and had a veggie sandwich crammed full of veggies, avocado, sprouts and cheese and I had spinach crepes with mushrooms and a salad----all that came to 10,000 colones, about $19 including a milk and a coke, and a signature hot chocolate. They also had a big case full of cakes and pastries, but we demured this time...

Favorite Dish: spinach crepes

inside Teatro Nacional cafe
    • Theater Travel

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Avicola Portela: Chicken

by grandmaR Written Apr 7, 2010

For our first day in Costa Rica, we had dinner at a little chicken place called Avicola Portela which was near the bus station in the CocaCola district. This was a very basic local place.

Favorite Dish: In 1996, we paid $2.68@ for a quarter chicken combo with a flour tortilla, and a coke.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

American Fast Food Chains: Default to the Familiar

by grandmaR Written Apr 7, 2010

There are various American chains - in addition to Burger King, there is Pizza Hut, and McDonalds. We were staying at a Hampton Inn out near the airport They had breakfast there, but no dinner. When we had the energy and a car we could drive out to a restaurant. When we had no car, sometimes the airport van would take us out to a restaurant. But if we had no car and no energy we could get fast food delivered.

Favorite Dish: We had a pizza delivered from Pizza Hut ($10.59 including tip) one night.
    We had Big Macs for dinner (delivered on a motorcycle). ($9.39 + tip) on another night

San Jose streets
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Cassava: Fresh, homemade and in lovely garden setting

by sojournine Written May 6, 2009

This restaurant is new on the scene and sits in Escazu near its centre square. An older house with lots of ambiance and only location in Escazu where outdoor eating overlooks tranquil garden. It serves a mixture of local food and international cusine, fresh made breads and jams and it is lovely while you eat if you are outside on the verqandah you can hear the river.
    All the food is home made and fresh and I had Dutch pancakes which I had to try since I am from Holland - they were great! Turns out one of the partners has Dutch parentage.... Then I tried the fish cakes - they were better than I expected and came with a sauce to die for and my husband had the pasta which was also super delicious.
    It was different and the food certainly great value considering it's freshness and quality.
    I heard that the owners are Italian and British/Dutch - maybe that explains the eclectic menu choices...
    Iempie Westra

Favorite Dish: Mushrooms on Crostini

• Birdwatching

Pops: Ice cream!

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Supposedly the best ice cream in the city, according to a tour guide I overheard. Many locations throughout the city, including one right across from the pigeon-filled plaza. It’s good, not the best ice cream I’ve had though. Some great flavors like banana, mango and pineapple-orange. Also shakes and sundaes and such. One scoop cono, about $1.50.

Comida para Sentir: Veggie food in San Pedro

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Had the plate of the day, which was Meatless Paella. It resembled the typical Costa Rican plate of beans and rice to a great degree. It came with potato salad and a salad with a lot of sprouts on it. Has vegetarian food, catering to the local student clientele. Has good bakery in the window. Food was so-so.

restaurant and owner 'Paella' and salad

Shakti: Healthy and tasty meal

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Located a block from where I stayed. A natural food store/restaurant. Has about 14 tables or so, lots of seating. Very clean restaurant, and very good food. I had a combination plate for about $6. Lemonade, salad, carrot soup, lasagna, and something else that slips my mind. Then they give you a choice of dessert, pineapple cake and a few others that I didn’t catch. A small bakery up-front has goods for sale. They serve complete plates-of-the-day, salads, soups, veggie burgers, fresh juices...etc

lasagna and salad menu Restaurant

• Kindra's Profile Photo

El Candil: Great typical food for a great price

by Kindra Updated Nov 14, 2008

This is a wonderful little restaurant owned by sisters Maritza and Nela: they also rented rooms to some of my fellow interns and are really great people.

El Candil is open during the day and frequented by local professionals, university professors and UCR students. A hang out for the NGO, human rights crowd. It has a beautiful little terrace in the back that is covered in case of rain. Some evenings, there will be live music or poetry readings.

Favorite Dish: Specials change every day. Will usually offer several dishes including fish, chicken or beef, sometimes pasta, an Asian rice dish. All meals come with soup to start, are accompanied by beans, rice and salad, a refresco (fresh fruit drink such as Blackberry, Pineapple, Passionfruit) and a coffee to end off the meal. Basic meals start off at 1800 colones. A great deal!

On special days, try the CAZUELA de MARISCOS which is a seafood chowder with octopus, shrimp, squid etc. in a creamy broth topped off with cheese and accompanied with rice and avocado. A special treat and goes for about 3000 colones, also including drink and coffee.

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Don't Eat Here!!!

by Snipernurse Written Jun 24, 2008

Lord forbid that these sort of places start to spread to La Fortuna, Monteverde, MOntezuma, Tamarindo and etc. Support local resteraunts, don't help these chains take over. McDonalds and Church's Chicken do nothing for atmosphere

• Josilver's Profile Photo

cafe Q: great for people watching

by Josilver Written Jun 7, 2007

Located right in the middle of San Jose, the upstairs section give a great veiw of Avenida central. could can sit here for hours just watching people go by and an added bunus they make a great cup of coffee.

Favorite Dish: Tuna Salad mmmYum

Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu
InterContinental Real Costa Rica
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: San José

Comments

San José Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San José locals.
Map of San José