Places to eat in San José

Most Viewed Restaurants in San José

• penumbra's Profile Photo

Gran Hotel Café Parisien: Watching the City Go By

by penumbra Written Sep 1, 2006

Open 24 hours per day the cafe has great food and is a great place for people watching. Although set back from the street the hotel has its own paved plaza. Its central location makes it an ideal resting point or meeting area while visiting other attractions in the downtown region.

An outdoor cafe protected from the rain The Gran Hotel
    • Casino and Gambling
    • Archeology

soda Billy Boy: Billy Boy

by pollon Updated Apr 30, 2003

in spite of its name, it's not a fast food but a soda, which means a local restaurant, and I advice it for a quick snack or calmer meal: there is a good choice of dishes and the chicken or meat with the unfailing arroz (rice)

entrance of the Teatro Nacional

soda Cheller: sodas...

by pollon Updated May 6, 2003

after I had just been materially pulled away from my proposal to enter a soda near the zone of the streetwalkers, I chose the soda Cheller in the avenida central.
    Some curious look (with my so white skin - maximum I get honey colour or burnt when I get tanned - I don't appear exactly like a tico even if I have been nicknamed itala-tica :-) by a Costarican) and good local food in a real tico atmosphere.
    But I don't seem to have caught the exactly right moment infact only afterwards I have read on a guide that here I should have tried a breakfast in the very early morning to real experience San José, it's open 24 hours.

Teatro Nacional

• besbel's Profile Photo

Automercado: Automercado

by besbel Written Feb 18, 2003

For backpackers and people with tight budgets, this is the option. Automercado's prices are less expensive than average, and you could find anything you want: fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, milky products, seafood, wine, and all the stuff you find in a supermarket.
    I went to the Automercado at Multiplaza Mall, but you can find AutoMercados at:
    - Plaza del Sol (in Plaza del Sol Mall)
    - Los Yoses (next to Mall San Pedro)
    - Centro (around Parque Morazán)
    - Plaza Mayor (in Plaza Mayor Mall)
    - Multiplaza (Multiplaza Mall)
    - Tibas-Moravia (400 m. west Colegio Lincoln)
    - Heredia (north of police station, autoroute to Barva)

Favorite Dish: What you cannot miss here is buying coffee. My favorite coffee-related product was Britt's grains of coffee covered by chocolate. It was delicious, but please don't eat them at night, because your tireness may be gone :-)

Logo Automercado

El Patio Del Balmoral: Not Bad with an interesting menu

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 4, 2015

I stopped in late one night. Checked out the menu and definitely had some interesting items. One that caught my eye was the Pizza A La Tica. The description states it is "mashed black beans, chorizo, tomato, hearts of palms, cheese and avocado. Sounds great! Took a seat and of course, when it came time to order, the were not making pizza. From what I can tell it was too late at night. Only 9:00pm.

Well I decided to stay. It is a nice place attached to the Hotel Balmoral. I eventually ordered the Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken). Sounds boring but the rice was full of peas, corn and carrots. It wasn't bad.

I will definitely return to try that pizza.

Sangria: Nice hotel bar-restaurant

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 7, 2015

This restaurant is attached to the Best Western Irazu. The staff are friendly but their English is not very good. I checked the menu and it has some good options. The Filet Mignon caught my eye, especially for the price. So I gave it a try.

The meal was good although I order the steak medium and it came out rare. Still good. It came with only home fry type potato and covered in a mushroom sauce which is not mentioned on the menu. The steak was also wrapped on the outside with a strip of beacon, again not mentioned on the menu. The portion was rather small which explains the affordable price for Filet Mignon.

I would eat here again but not go out of my way to visit when in San Jose.

• Singles

Shakti: Healthy and tasty meal

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Located a block from where I stayed. A natural food store/restaurant. Has about 14 tables or so, lots of seating. Very clean restaurant, and very good food. I had a combination plate for about $6. Lemonade, salad, carrot soup, lasagna, and something else that slips my mind. Then they give you a choice of dessert, pineapple cake and a few others that I didn’t catch. A small bakery up-front has goods for sale. They serve complete plates-of-the-day, salads, soups, veggie burgers, fresh juices...etc

lasagna and salad menu Restaurant

Comida para Sentir: Veggie food in San Pedro

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Had the plate of the day, which was Meatless Paella. It resembled the typical Costa Rican plate of beans and rice to a great degree. It came with potato salad and a salad with a lot of sprouts on it. Has vegetarian food, catering to the local student clientele. Has good bakery in the window. Food was so-so.

restaurant and owner 'Paella' and salad

Pops: Ice cream!

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Supposedly the best ice cream in the city, according to a tour guide I overheard. Many locations throughout the city, including one right across from the pigeon-filled plaza. It’s good, not the best ice cream I’ve had though. Some great flavors like banana, mango and pineapple-orange. Also shakes and sundaes and such. One scoop cono, about $1.50.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Le Chandelier: French Food with a Spanish Accent

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 12, 2007

I have been told that Le Chandelier is the classiest restaurant in Costa Rica. Whether that is so or not, it happened to be the place our group was taken for lunch on the day of our San Jose tour.

The thing I didn't like about it is that our busload of about 40 people was ushered into our own private dining room so we did not get an authentic experience of eating here. Still it was interesting. At our table for eight there were four couples, the others being from Alabama, Vermont and the Netherlands, so we still had an international dining experience with good conversation.

The restaurant is said to have an extensive wine list and excellent champagnes. Reservations are recommended; major credit cards are accepted.

Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 11:30am - 2pm & 6:30pm - 10:30pm
    Sat: 6:30pm - 11pm

Favorite Dish: We were served a buffet with a choice of chicken, beef rice, vegetables, breads and a desert. I sampled a little of everything and found it quite satisfactory.

Le Chandelier Karen in front of Le Chandelier My lunch at Le Chandelier Karen & Stephen at Le Chandelier

El Gran Pan: Nice pastries

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 6, 2015

Tis is a nice little bakery at the very busy intersection of route 2 and Calle 9. Plenty of options. However nothing is really labeled so you must know what you're selecting or you may have a big surprise. I ordered what I thought was a chocolate croissant but it turned out to be black beans. On the inside was some marinated meat. It did taste ok but when you're expecting to bite into chocolate and get beans and meat was strange.

Monday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Tuesday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Wednesday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Thursday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Friday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Saturday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm
    Sunday: 5:30 am-9:00 pm

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Chelles: Great for late night or breakfast

by blueskyjohn Written Jan 6, 2015

Some years ago I ate here several time late at night for a snack. Chelles is rather small with maybe 8-10 tables. This visit I stopped in for breakfast. Staff took my order right away and the food was out nearly as fast. This is unusual in Costa Rica.

I ordered the eggs with rice and beans. It also came with fried plantains. The meal was good but a few of the plantains were too greasy. Chelles also makes their own hot sauce that is tasty but very hot. Use sparingly.

Overall a good option for breakfast.

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Restaurante Lubnan: Sheesha, belly dancing and the middle east in CR!

by Kindra Written Jul 18, 2006

Tired of rice and beans? For great Lebanese food and ambiance, this is the place to be. The main dining room features belly dancing on evening weekends and the backroom bar is dark, sultry and has several large tables where you can sit, try tasty finger food and smoke sheesha (hookah). It is not a big place and the front and back areas are generally full by 9 pm on weekends. Get there early to get a spot or be insistant while waiting for a table (don't wander into the back or you will never get to sit).

Favorite Dish: Try the vegetarian combo appetizer dish with falafel, pita, hummus, babaganoush and garlic sauce. Don't miss out on the flavoured tobacco smoked through a water bong called a hookah. Flavours are generally fruity and 2000 colones will offer relaxing smoking for at least 4 people for a good hour.

Smoking some strawberry flavoured sheesha

• pollon's Profile Photo

soda...???: good bye meal...

by pollon Written May 6, 2003

I'm sorry I don't remember the name of this soda which is near the Jada Museum, in the Avenida 7, between the Calle 9 and 7 and it's not the first you meet (coming from calle 9) but the second...
    Shortly I was going to reach the airport for the flight back and it was a sort of good-bye meal expecially after that the waitress asked me about where I was going and she said I had to come back and then when in two only we ordered only one postre (dessert), she brought a second, courtesy of the house...
    in the pic Parque España, in front of the Jade Museum

that shadow is me...

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

La Cariollita: Good Tico Restaurant

by easterntrekker Written Jan 12, 2007

If you want to mingle with the locals and have a good sampling of Tico food this is the place. Lovely inside with huge dining rooms , wooden tables with bright green tablecloths...and a non smoking area!

The service is friendly , english is limited , although there is some english on the menu. Good food. , cheap...and big servings!

Closed at 8PM and all day Sunday

Favorite Dish: The sea bass is wonderful ..liked the buttered bass the best ,. Hot garlic bread come with the meal. The black bean soup is a meal in itself!! Dinner for two with a beer was $23.00

• Seniors

Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown
Aranjuez Hotel
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: San José

Comments

San José Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and San José locals.
Map of San José