Mercado Central - Central market, San José

4 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

Looking into a shop from the bus
    From the bus window 1996
    by grandmaR
    Market area from the bus
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Central Market

by grandmaR Updated Jun 9, 2012

From the bus window 1996

On our first day in San Jose, we walked through some of the Central Market but did not see anything worth buying.

Friday morning March 1st we went to the Mercado Artesania. We did our last souvenir shopping here. I was trying to buy a creche but couldn't figure out the Spanish for that. I didn't want a ceramic one because I figured (correctly) that they wouldn't ship well. I did get a wooden puzzle box and I did eventually find a creche.

Then we took the bus back to the hotel, and flew out that afternoon.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Busy, big, Market

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 20, 2008

Consists of about 3 blocks and storefronts of market things, fruits, t-shirts, veggies, bakery, etc…. Supposed to be many pick-pockets working the area, but it wasn’t all that crowded and didn’t seem that way to me. Near the Coca-Cola train station, which is supposed to be a bit dangerous too—especially at night.

• Mercado Central (central market)

by arasnosliw Written Jul 12, 2005

test your bargaining skills here

The central market in the city center is more of my type of market than the craft one. This one is a huge indoor market where vendors sell items catered more towards locals. Buy fresh meats, vegetables, drinks, or meals here. Get cheap clothes, shoes, jewelry, luggage, whatever. Try some olla de carne; apparently it's a special here. The labyrinth market is not as daunting as some I have seen in other countries. It is actually quite manageable. Once again, try your luck with bargaining. It always helps if you know a little bit of Spanish.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

by TempNomad Updated May 29, 2003

One entrance to the exciting Mercado Central

Mercado Central is located at the end of the pedestrian mall in downtown San Jose. It's a truly eclectic experience. You can find knick-knacks, pack-packs, t-shirts, crafts, flowers, and whatever else you never knew you needed.

There are "sodas" if you want cheap eats and there is the most amazing sorbet/ice cream place nestled somewhere in there. I just kept asking for "los helados" until I was directed to the correct place.

Mercado Central could probably also go under tourist trap or warnings. Just be smart and watch your back and pockets. Definitely worth the trip!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Nov 22, 2008

Mercado Central

This is San Jose's main market in a colorful building of Av Central. It ranges from souvenirs to fresh meat and fish.

• boltonian's Profile Photo

by boltonian Written Jun 2, 2007

Hardly Tommyfield Market

Listing in the guide books as a 'must see', I disagree.

A run down market that sells fruit, cheap and tacky tourist goods, and smelly meat. Have a look, but nothing great here to see.

Instant Answers: San José