Sports Events in Costa Rica

Reefrunnr dive shop
    by Diverdan28
  • Sports & Outdoors
    by blueskyjohn
  • There is a gate to the parking are on the left
    There is a gate to the parking are on...
    by blueskyjohn

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Costa Rica

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Zip-lining in Costa Rica

by TheTravelSlut Updated Jul 26, 2006

Zip-lining over the rain forest canopy is a unique experience and although it can be considered a "touristy thing" to do, I would recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure.

It is hard to describe my feelings as I left for the top of the mountain. I knew that I would have to go first, otherwise I was afraid I might lose my nerve about the descent through the trees. The safety briefing was good but I was still a little nervous.

NOTE: I am so sorry I can't recall the name of the tour company.

Equipment: While in downtown La Fortuna, I booked a horseback trip up the slopes of Arenal volcano that included a zip-line adventure. The tour company picked me up at my hotel.

THE TRAVEL SLUT TIP: For the zip-line canopy tour and horseback ride you will want to come prepared wearing loose-fitting clothes including a t-shirt,long-sleeved shirt and long pants and insect repellent.

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo

Jaco Beach.. Surfer Dudes and Dudesses

by frank_delargy Written Jan 10, 2005

If you are into surfing, you don't need this tip, but if you are a regular tourist to CR, you may notice as you are on your way to Manuel Antonio, a plethora of surfing shops. This coast is very popular with the surfers. It's a combo of waves and way of life. Plus, I guess, the ability to drive to the other coast if the waves are better in the same day can't hurt! :-)

Equipment: rent a surfboard and get some lessons. Be prepared to find out that it isn't as easy as balancing on a log.

• Beaches

• ABankerMU's Profile Photo

Costa Rica Rios Whitewater Rafting, Turrialba

by ABankerMU Written Jan 4, 2005

Costa Rica Rios runs full or half day rafting trips on the Pacuare River out of Turrialba. The group is owned by young Americans, one of which accompanied us on our full-day trip. All the staff were extremely friendly and energetic, and all spoke at least some English. The van ride to the start point was long, but enjoyable, as the owner answered questions and pointed out sights along the way. Once in the water, the scenery was breathtaking. There were plenty of opportunities to swim along the rafts during lazy portions of the river--depth around 4ft most of the time (suppose this changes depending on rainfall). We stopped at a small stream cascading over a rocky embankment and hiked up to a larger pool at the end of which was a large waterfall. We all tried, unsuccessfully, to swim up to the waterfall, but the flow was too strong to allow it. The rapids are a blast. No rafts flipped, but we did fall out occasionally. The guides are very professional and get you back into the raft in a jiffy. There is a safety kayaker following behind if you get separated from the raft. Costa Rica Rios keeps the number of rafts at a minimum to enhance safety. We did run into several other groups at different points with larger groups of rafts. I was happy to be with the smaller, more familiar group. Lunch was served on an upside-down raft and consisted of various freshly-cut fruits, sandwiches, guacamole (prepared on-the-spot) and chips, and homemade cookies for dessert. It was delicious. Pineapple has never tasted so good. The rest of the river yielded plenty of action and plenty of scenery. More waterfalls, indiginous villages, etc to be found. I've done a fair amount of rafting in Colorado on different stretches of the Arkansas, and it does not compare at all. If you're into rafting, this is a must-do!

Equipment: Swimsuit
    Fleece (or something that stays warm when wet)
    Change of clothes
    Waterproof Camera (buy in the states)

• Water Sports
    • Kayaking

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Surfing at Tamarindo Beach

by Paul2001 Written Jun 28, 2003

The surfing at Tararindo Beach is very good. It is in fact supposed to be at times fantastic but while I was there the waves were fairly low. That said that makes this a great place to learn to surf which a lot of people were doing while I was there. In fact I observed a seven year old English girl who took up the sport like a natural. (I wonder if there is a good place to surf in England?).

Equipment: Surfboards can be rented a numerous shops in case you did not bring your own.

Futbol

by SumTingWong Written Apr 21, 2003

Football is very popular in Costa Rica. I saw a few matches in Santa Elena at the school field. Its a lot of fun anf you really get involved with the culture. Kids screaming for their team, its fun! Go out and watch, or try and play in a Football match!

• Study Abroad

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo

Up for some awesome Zip Lining?

by SumTingWong Written Apr 22, 2003

Jungle Zip Lining is one of Costa Rica's most thrilling activities. The Adventura Canopy is the best zip lining in Costa Rica, located in Monteverde.

What is zip lining you may ask? ...well zip lining is where you have the oppertunity to fly through the jungle as you are hookes with a pully on a cord through the treetops. There are guides to help you and connect you to the cords along the way. It's really a lot of fun!! You must do in if you are in Monteverde!!!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• daffodil's Profile Photo

Zip lines!

by daffodil Written Aug 27, 2004

There are many places in Costa Rica that offer Zip line tours of forests. I would definately advise people to try it out. I am a totally afraid of heights and after you get over your fear (if only a bit temporarily) it is totally cool! It also offers a different perspective on the landscape.
    Regulated by the Costa Rican government all zip line operators must always have your harness attached by a safety line and the pulley. We did a zip line in Monteverde, so you can check out that page for more in depth info.

Equipment: They provide it, but you should try to sneak in a small camera to take photos!

• vicky_cannae's Profile Photo

surfing!!!!

by vicky_cannae Written Feb 5, 2003

the best spots in costa rica are Tamarindo,jaco and there are a lot more breaks on the pacific and they are less crowded!!
    The best spot on the carribean coast is Puerto Viejo

Equipment: the best place to buy a board is jaco and tamarindo...i bought a board for 100 dollars and sold it when i left!!It depends on the size of your board...if you wanna buy a longboard you pay a lot more of course!

• balieyes's Profile Photo

Punta Banco

• VdV's Profile Photo

Rio Pacuare Rocks!

by VdV Written Jun 29, 2005

Before my trip, I had heard great things about the incredible beauty of the Rio Pacuare. Although I had never been rafting before, I sought the advice of a work colleague, asking whether a novice like myself should raft on the Revantazon or Pacuare. His advice was: "Don't waste your time on the Revantazon--it's basically a float trip (i.e., not very challenging)...You MUST raft on the Pacuare! It is incredible!" When I mentioned I had never been rafting before, he laughed and said, "Well, you MUST raft on the Pacuare!"

I'm so glad I took his advice. The Rio Pacuare was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life. The rafting experience was incredible--a good mix of floating/scenery with good doses of whitewater challenges that definitely gets the adrenaline pumping!

Rios Tropicales is the outfitter we used, and they have a good reputation. They offer one day trips (about $95 USD pp), and 2-3 trips as well. They will pick you from your San Jose area hotel, feed you really good, hearty breakfast and lunch, provide you with shower facilities, and take really incredible digital photos if you'd like to purchase the photo CD (it was well worth it for my first time rafting.)

The guides were all very nice and friendly, and the experience top-notch.

Do it!

Equipment: If you go on the one day raft trip (you spend about 3.5 -4.5 hours on the river), do not bring much. They will secure your totebag/backpack with change of clothes, etc. on the bus, but when you are rafting, bring nothing but the clothes on your back (bathing suit/trunks; wear a t-shirt if you want to avoid sunburn) and rubber-soled strapped sandals or sea socks.

One major tip: DO NOT FORGET TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR THIGHS. Everyone always forgets, and doesn't realize until the next day that this is the part of your body that gets the most sunburn, as you are sitting in the raft, with water splashing on your thighs, and the sun burning down directly upon then.

The other major tip: PADDLE HARD! during the rapids, it is important to paddle hard, even if you are scared out of your pants. If you do not paddle, your raft will spin, causing you and your raftmates a harrowing experience. LISTEN and FOLLOW your guides.

HAVE FUN! PURA VIDA!

• Kayaking

• Nansen's Profile Photo

Horseriding in Rincon la Vieja

by Nansen Written Apr 5, 2005

Costa Rica is a good country to practise all kinds of sports which have to be with nature.
    So, the Pacific beaches are a good place for surfers (specially northwest, in Nicoya region) and to dive. You can do rafting in some rivers (Reventazon,...), and the famous canopy. Although you can find canopy (a rope above the forest where you descend faster and faster) all over the country, i recommend practise it in Monteverde.

Equipment: Horseriding in Costarica´s forests is a unique experience. I recommend to do it in Beuna Vista Lodge, near Liberia and the Rincon la Vieja Natural Park.

• Horse Riding
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• satyagraha's Profile Photo

Surfing

by satyagraha Written Nov 6, 2003

Great surf in Playa Giones and in Garza. Places are 3 hours south of Tamarindo (tourist trap) with comparable surf. 5-6 foot swells are common. Sonny Garcia has a surf school here.

Equipment: Bring your board or rent and take a class

• Beaches
    • Fishing

• monica71's Profile Photo

ATV Tours in Arenal

by monica71 Written Apr 29, 2008

Tourist companies also give you the option to book an ATV tour. We did not do this, but we saw few people riding them. Hotel La Pradera del Arenal has ATVs on site and you can rent them if you want to.

• BEETLE_VERTE's Profile Photo

Sportfishing for sailfish!

by BEETLE_VERTE Updated Mar 9, 2005

Sailfish are not to be missed by any fisherman! The experience is incredible and remains one of my best memories in Costa Rica (even thought I came for the birds!!).

These big and muscular fishes will give you the fight of your life, as they rush away and jumped many time on your line. They are amazing and beautiful to see, purple, dark brown and gray ballet dancers on the ocean!

Best place we found was on the Pacific side, in the world renoun city of Quepos. We went in the beggining of February, during the best time. Many charters there, we choose Aventura Poseidon for their good prices, info, recommendations and equipment. We weren't let down! We paid 495$ each day, plus the fishing licenses (15$) and tips. It included one of the smaller boat, the Wahoo, 22-24' with outboard engine (very powerfull, we topped every other boat!) and t-top, lunch and drink (a lot of drink, don't worry!), two guides and all the fishing equipment and baits. They take us out on the ocean, about 32 miles (1 hour) at sunrise, we troll for sail fish and if opportunity arise other wonderfull fishes (mahi-mahi, rooster fish, yellow tuna, wahoo, red snapper...) and they bring us back to shore just before sunset.

The promoter was very efficient. We called him the night before and he arrange for a taxi to pick us up at our hotel and bring us to the docks. Always on the radio, he immediately called our boat and work as a translator with the taxi driver. At night, he offered to call a taxi to take us back to the hotel.

A nice point we found: these fisherman are not only very good, experience and proud of their fishes, but also very conscientious. They use circa hooks not to hurt the fish. And once the fishes are by the boat, the only take them out of the water for a few seconds (for the picture of a lifetime).

More pictures of boat, staff and (most of all) sailfishs in the travelogues of my Quepos page.

Equipment: Everything should be included in your deal. You only need maybe sunscreen, hat, shades and camera. We were recommended to take remedy against sea sickness but since it causes drowsiness we didn't took right away... and never needed it later. When we were there the sea was calm and even in our small boat we never came close to being sick.

PS We went back a year later, hired the same team since we were so happy with what we had the first time. Same great experience! See the second year's pictures in my Quepos traveogues.

• Fishing

Horseback Riding

by SumTingWong Written Apr 22, 2003

All over Costa Rica you will have the oppertunity to go horesback riding. From Monteverde to Jaco Beach the horses are everywhere. You can get to see some really cool scenery and sunsets no matter where you are. If you like horseback riding Costa Rica is the place to go.

Equipment: Have long pants and sneekers or shoes.

• Horse Riding

See nearby hotels
Birrí Hotels
7 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Costa Rica

Comments

Costa Rica Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Costa Rica sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Costa Rica sightseeing.
Map of Costa Rica