Immigration and Customs, Havana

3 Reviews

Know about this? Rate It!

  • Immigration and Customs
    by fga
  • russian_yaz's Profile Photo

    Carrying laptops with U

    by russian_yaz Written Apr 27, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Favorite thing: Yes, U can bring laptops with U but for sure the customs will ask U why U bring one. Just say is for working or for your own use.

    If U plan to give it as a gift, don't say that.

    Maybe the will need the serial number to check that U've it with U in your way back....

    if U plan to give someone as a gift in your way back just say it was stealed or just that U loose it somewhere and nothing will happend, this is tipical.

    Don't bring VHS players or DVD players, U could be stopped at customs.

    Related to:
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • havanaivan's Profile Photo

    CUBA: Important tips

    by havanaivan Updated Jan 7, 2003

    1.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Favorite thing: Immigration and Customs

    To enter Cuba, you need a valid passport and a tourist card (visa) issued on a separate sheet of paper. We provide the tourist card with all tickets we sell. The tourist card (visa) is valid for a 30 day stay, renewable for an additional 30 days, for leisure and recreational purposes. It is not valid for any other travel arrangements. Upon departure, you must present the tourist card together with your passport and ticket.

    American citizens are warmly welcomed in Cuba. In fact, Cubans often dream of visiting the USA, where many of their relatives live. Cuban immigration officials usually do not stamp American passports. However, just to be sure, ask the immigration officer not to stamp your passport prior to handing over your documents.

    You are allowed to bring personal belongings into Cuba, such as jewelry, photos and video cameras, portable radios and recorders, portable computers, sports gear, fishing gear and musical instruments.

    American citizens connecting with a flight in a Canadian gateway do not need a passport to enter Canada; proof of American citizenship is sufficient. Non-American citizens may require a visa for transit via Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for more information.

    Cuban departure tax
    Remember to have US$20 cash on hand in order to pay the Cuban departure tax. You must pay this tax at the airport when leaving the country. We suggest you put US$20 in your passport once you have reached your destination.

    Was this review helpful?

  • fga's Profile Photo

    LanguageThe official language...

    by fga Written Aug 24, 2002

    1 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Favorite thing: Language
    The official language is Spanish, which is spoken in the entire island. It is often peppered with special Cuban phonetics and witty popular metaphors that colour each region. However, at Cubanacan hotels and resorts there are highly skilled personnel capable of communicating in various languages, especially English.

    Tourist facility prices are indicated in U.S. dollars. Dollars have free circulation in Cuba and are used in all tourist installations and resorts.
    The national currency is the Cuban peso which contains 100 cents (centavos). There are 50, 20, 10, 5, 3 and 1 peso notes as well as 1 and 3 peso coins in circulation. Other coins are in 40, 20, 5, 2 and 1 cent (centavos) denominations.
    No credit cards or traveller checks issued by a U.S. bank are accepted. Visa, Master Card and Thomas Cook traveller check issued from non-U.S. banks are accepted. Consult your travel agency or a Cubanacan office regarding the use of any other type of credit card or traveller check.

    For tourism travel all you need is a valid passport and the corresponding visa or tourist card which will be issued by your travel agent or the Cuban consulate.

    Cuba follows the international practices established for this purpose. The following goods may enter Cuba free of taxes:
    Personal jewelery
    200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250 grams of cut tobacco; or an assortment of all three with a weight not exceeding 250 grams
    2 bottles of alcoholic beverages
    You must take articles such as cameras, video cameras, radios and tape recorders with you when you leave the country. The following goods may not enter Cuba:
    Firearms, except for hunting and with prior authorization
    Non-processed vegetable or animal products
    Narcotics and psychotrophic drugs
    Pornographic material or any other obscene or morally offensive material
    Blood based medications
    National currency, except that imported by travellers authorized by the proper Cuban autorities
    It is forbidden to export the national Cuban currency. When leaving Cuba you may freely exchange up to (ten) Cuban pesos to any exchangeable currency.
    You may export duty free all durable goods purchased in the network of stores submitting receipt of payment. You may also take with you up to 200 cigarettes; live or dried specimens of Cuban flora or fauna may only be exported with the corresponding sanitary and export documents.

    Health restrictions only apply to travellers from countries with yellow fever and endemic cholera or countries declared infection zones by the World Health Organization. In those cases a vaccination certificate isssued at least ten days and no more than ten years prior is required.
    The import of meat products is only allowed if they are sterilized and canned; products of vegetable origin only if they havbe been industrially processed; pasturized dairy products and ripe cheeses. Also fresh and dried fruit, accompanied by the appropriate Agricultural health certificate.
    If you are travelling with animals, plants or any of the above mentioned products which do not meet the requirements, you must contact the Cuban health Authorities upon arrival in order to learn more about the regulations applicable to each case.

    Cubanacan, Havanatur Transtur and Panauto's have car rental services at airports, hotels and tourist centres. Cubacar offers a large fleet of vehicles including models by: Mitsubishi, Toyota, Hyundai, Suzuki, etc. The only requirement to renting a car is a valid drivers license and your passport.
    Cuban traffic signs follow international codes and driving is done on the right hand side of the road.

    Special regulations apply to taking photgraphs and taping or filming audio-visual materials in museums. It is strictly forbidden to do this in military zones. Regulations are also in force in industrial centres, factories scientific research centres etc. for which previous authorization must be obtained. On the streets, men and women will always respond to your camera wiht a smile, but it is correct to ask them before taking their photos.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Havana

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

84 travelers online now


View all Havana hotels