Plaza De San Francisco, Havana
Named after the convent next to it PLAZA DE SAN FRANCISCO or San Francisco Square, once served to stockpile goods arriving by ships from the harbour. Residences of the Captain Generals were built around the plaza.
The Square once had a busy commercial life, with locals buying and selling a variety of goods.
Located in San Francisco de Asis Square, in Habana Vieja (Old Havana) the FUENTE DE LOS LEONES or Fountain of the Lions, was built of white carrara marble, by the Italian sculptor Guiseppe Gallini in 1836.
It is a towering sculpture and very beautifully done and very popular for taking pictures.
plaza de san francisco which houses the fountain of the lions,built in 1863 was moved to different locations but was finaly put back were it was first built.
Fondest memory: shoping in the open air markets, good deal's in home made souvenirs.And getting a good buy on cuban rum and cigars.