Punta Brava Travel Guide

my mom is there at Santiago de Cuba
    The home I grew up
    by gwened
  • my home and entrance to grandparents right
    my home and entrance to grandparents...

Punta Brava Things to Do

Parque Central

by gwened Written Dec 24, 2012

the center of the town, and the everyday life of it was and is the Parque Central or central park.

Around it you had the clinic/hospital, the fire dept; the main church, and behind it my first school of the sisters of the church; this was it.

My aunt lives across it and me was about 400 meters from it; rides and bike was the thing here and to mingle with your classmates.

Recently the cupola in the park was renovated so it looks as it was when I live there.

cupola at Parque Central
    • Architecture

Punta Brava Restaurants

Paladar at Calzada: Great local cuisine big portions

by gwened Written Apr 19, 2012

wonderful local paladar on the main old Carretera Central to Pinar del Rio, off before the turn to Guatao on left, the resto is on the right hand side.
    Friendly local service , great portions ,and great prices in local pesonacional

the restaurant of doctor (Eduardo Perez Monserrate) avenida 251 esq. 42 Punta Brava

Favorite Dish: pork steaks ,yucca,tostones or green plantains in garlic sauce, moros black rice, coffee and four Cristal beers all for 10 CUC for two persons

The dish mentioned above at Paladar

Punta Brava Transportation

just a local bus

by gwened Written May 11, 2012

you have the train from Havana old terminal , moorish style very nice.
    Then you have Viazul bus , and the more local Astro bus ( Avenida de la Republica) where there is places available if pay in CUC the exchange money for tourists, long lines but thats Cuba today. There is a bus from here that takes you to the Aquarium in Playa Havana

Viazul bus

Havana
    Cuba
    Tel: +53 7 8709401
    ext. 110,136 and 7 8703397

Taxi Colectivo can take from bus station for example about 10 CUC to Santa Clara; official company is cubataxi.

The roads of Cuba The town roads of Cuba the local bus

Punta Brava Local Customs

• gwened's Profile Photo

Well you have an idea......lol!!!

by gwened Updated Sep 12, 2013

this is me with my heritage, do you see the origins....Tenerife. Many in the community were from Galicia, Asturias, and Andalucia.However, most were from the Canary Islands.
    I spent my first 10 years here, with finally going out to Madrid, Spain, and then on to the world. Came back here twice in 2012 for briefs few days each. Totally different now.

a lot more on the town in official link in contact in Spanish

That's me folks as a torero lol!!! me playing in the central park of town me from a photo studio shot El Arte play in the front porch of my house coming home from school

• gwened's Profile Photo

Catholicism was strong and now coming...

by gwened Updated Dec 24, 2012

The arrival of the Patron Saint of Cuba to our little town was a huge event beyond explanations. This is a country sunk into atheism from the communist dictatorship for years, when the Pope John Paul II visited the country it was like a new revival of customs, and it has gain little by little more and more.

The patron saint of Cuba is Caridad of the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary. It is warmly call by Cuban Cachita.

The gathering was in central park, the one I play as a little boy under 10, many many years ago.

arrival of mobile car with the statue of Virgin the crowds gathering to see the virgin
    • Religious Travel

• Punta Brava Hotels

0 Hotels in Punta Brava

Punta Brava Off The Beaten Path

• gwened's Profile Photo

Don't look at building just mingled

by gwened Updated Mar 4, 2014

one of the thing you need to do to really get to know the country and its special situation is to walk the Streets,and not just see the decaying buildings but the way people talk to you,and their daily life"s needs.

The photos are from my maternal grandparents house overlooking my native town ,don't have many but sure are precious. Found some more looking across at my uncle's home. same street on your way to Santa Fe beach and Hemingway's Marina.

towards Santa Fe beach thru the homes looking towards the beaches of Santa Fe and marina looking out to central highway and city center towards old central highway thru the homes
    • Architecture

Punta Brava Favorites

Go back to the roots at Punta Brava

by gwened Written Jun 7, 2015

Favorite thing: One of my must trip is to stop by the house I was born, even if brings some sad memories and to see the house now is stressful, it is a magnet to come see the old neighborhood.

I can see my house where I grew up as a young boy, then my paternal grandparents home next door where I was babysit for years until 10. And ,also my maternal grandparents home, that is better kept as it is still in the family hands and the last home I visited before leaving Cuba.

The town is in the old central highway on your way to cigar country, and still in Havana city, you have a nice paladar restaurant on the edge of the road going to Guatao , the cementary.
    For a taste of the real Cuba.

Fondest memory: seeing the house I grew up as a young boy.

The home I grew up my home and entrance to grandparents right paternal grandparents home side of paternal grandparents home my maternal grandparents home

walk historic Punta Brava

by gwened Written Apr 20, 2012

Favorite thing: As it happenned many towns are forgotten by the modern tourist, but if you want to be with the locals, sample the country in real terms and be where history was made then come here to Punta Brava

this is the place on December 7, 1896 that General Antonio Maceo leading a group of men against colonial Spain lost his life. The Bronze Titan as he was called, took the war of independance from east to west of Cuba.

Fondest memory: walking its streets as was born here many moons ago.

calle 50 going to Santa Fe beach arriving on Carretera Central, old national expway new road to Punta Brava

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Instant Answers: Punta Brava

Comments

Punta Brava Travel Guide
Map of Punta Brava