Taxi Legal and Illegal, Varadero

Know about this? Rate It!

Mercedes-Benz 240D taxi, Varadero, Cuba.
    by mwe
    Cab view in Havana
    by Junglejym9
    Varadero - Taxi Driver Noel (2004)
    by Kaspian
  • Melgund's Profile Photo

Getting to Varedaro

by Melgund Written Mar 27, 2008

There are taxis just outside the arrivals area that can take you into Varadero. Be sure to change some money into Pesos from the bank in the arrivals area to pay.
    I have never taken one but I suspect it would cost about 15 pesos.
    To save some money, try talking to the representatives of the tour companies that great all the flights. Each company has buses for transfers. You may need to ask a couple to find a bus going to your hotel. My may also need to "tip" the driver 5 pesos or so.
    Hope this helps.

Melgund

• mwe's Profile Photo

Taxis

by mwe Updated Dec 8, 2006

Not all cars on Cuba are clapped out museum pieces (I mean highly desirable rare classics), Cuban taxis can be rather nice, like this late 1970s/early '80s Mercedes W123 waiting at the Sol Palmeras Hotel's taxi-rank proves.

Mercedes-Benz 240D taxi, Varadero, Cuba.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Taxi from Varadero to Havana and Back

by Kaspian Updated Sep 29, 2004

Once we checked into the bus tours of Havana from Varadero and calculated the driving times and stops involved (a cigar factory and Copacabana), we could tell we would only have about an hour to walk around Havana. We like to explore cities and towns on foot and decided this wasn't for us. (There's nothing more frustrating than seeing cool things from the windows of a tour bus that doesn't stop).
    Our hotel offered us the option of a taxi to Havana for the entire day for $200 USD. So we had our own private driver, Noel. He was great! He drove very very safely, gave us a personal tour of Havana, was very knowledgeable about things we should see, friendly, spoke fairly good English, and stopped wherever we asked him to.
    He would stop at something, we could decide a meeting time, and meet him back at the car when we were finished. We got to spend 4 or 5 hours in old Havana while he would have coffees and chat with other taxi drivers. He was such a good guy I think I tipped $20. Pricey, but a cab for the entire day? Very much worth it!

Varadero - Taxi Driver Noel (2004)

• 416Guy's Profile Photo

No Money, No Problem

by 416Guy Written Sep 1, 2002

Cabs are not usually more than 5 dollars to and from anywhere in Varadero. But what I do is start walking in the direction where I'm headed and wait for an empty mode of transportation that's heading in the same direction (Mini Cab, Horse Carriage, Taxi) and flag him down. I tell him where I want to go and say I don't have any money but (conveniently) I have some T-shirts, or dolls or, on one occasion, a Santa Hat (They went crazy for that Santa hat, I could've bought a house with it). Since they are already headed in that direction and something is always better than nothing they will usually snap up your trade and take you on your way. Not once did I pay for a ride anywhere.

The Benz is actually a cab!! Not too shabby!!

Instant Answers: Varadero