Train, Santiago de Cuba

Know about this? Rate It!

train
    by rsudic
  • Train
    by Zap-b
  • rsudic's Profile Photo

Servicio rapido

by rsudic Updated Apr 4, 2011
    train

www.cuba-individual.com/ s_horario.htm. to check timetable
    Some trains are really nice, clean and fast (but not always, don't expect Thalys or TGV).
    Santiago is connected with Guantanamo, Camaguey, Ciego de Avila, Santa Clara, Matanzas and Havana.
    Price Santigo-Havana from 30 CUC do 60 CUC one way.

• Trains

• Zap-b's Profile Photo

We took the Viazul bus (coming...

by Zap-b Updated Oct 4, 2002

We took the Viazul bus (coming from Trinidad - $35 and 8 hours). Upon leaving took the Viazul to La Habana - $51 (overnight 14 hours). Viazul has its advantages in that its air-conditioned and so probably worth it over Astro (the real Cuban transport option) for the mere $4 dearer it is to Astro. Though its in no way Cuban and just for tourists and priveledged Cubans.

The train also goes from Santiago to La Habana for just $35 and I'm sorry I didn't take this as there is an overnight and I love train travel - next tiem for sure!

The flights from Santiago to La Habana are about £80 and take about 2 hours I think though you have to add the $20 taxi ride from the airport to central Habana though this is perfect if you intend to fly directly out of La Habana - a Wicklow man I was travelling with - Paddy - was hoping to do this but alas flights are often booked up and so think about this in advance!
    Santiago is quite compact. The only places that are far away and really worth it are the Castillo del Morro and the beach and for these there are a few options -

1. you could take one of the peso trucks though these are very very packed and hard to get for this reason

2. a taxi or better still an old 1950's America car - providing you haggle you'll get it for a good price. We went to the Castillo for $8/return with the driver waiting for us there for 2 hours. To the beach we paid $16/return when the driver originally wanted $20. We just told him when to pick us up and paid him on the return to the city centre.

3. Renting a moped costs $15/day and will get you everywhere. Be careful though to bring it back the day you said you would as they charge double for days past the return date of the contract.

4. Organise a bike rental through your casa particular - I didn't do this but if you're good you can get this as part of the deal for renting the room. If not, I wouldn't pay more than $2/day for this (if you ask me!).

Instant Answers: Santiago de Cuba

Comments

View all Santiago de Cuba hotels