Fun things to do in Dominica

• Things to Do
    Champagne reef
    Flounder

Most Viewed Things to Do in Dominica

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Island tour with Reyno Tours

by Dabs Updated Jan 28, 2010

With three cruise ships in port the day we visited, I had waited too long to book the most highly recommended tour guide on the Cruisecritic.com boards Bumpiing Tours but I found another recommendation for Reyno Tours. They don't have a website but they are easily reachable by email. They wrote me back very quickly and suggested that we take a group tour instead of a private tour and that they would hit the most popular locations on the island. The cost was $40 per person plus we had to pay the $5 admission to both Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls bringing the cost per person to $50. They didn't provide any drinks or a snack but we did stop at Mr. Nice's fruit stand where we could sample some fruit and all of the stops had vendors selling drinks.

Reyno wasn't our guide as he was doing another tour, I can't remember the name of our guide but she was knowledgable about the island, just not very enthusiastic. Our tour was in an air conditioned van with 13 people in total. We started with a visit to Trafalgar Falls, a very brief stop to see a sulfur spring at Wotten Waven, a drive through the Botanic Gardens, a visit to Mr. Nice's fruit stand and the final stop of the day was the Emerald Pool. We were going to continue on to Champagne Reef but our guide didn't seem very enthusiastic about it and quite frankly I had been disappointed in the other stops on the tour so we ended up just heading back to the ship early. When the driver called back to Reyno, he seemed genuinely disappointed that we didn't go to Champagne Reef as did the driver but the guide certainly didn't seem disappointed.

Boiling Lake

by iamcan Written Aug 25, 2006

Started my Boiling Lake adventure out with a 1 hour or so drive from Salisbury. Guides waved me down in Laudet. I requested and agreed to the guides wages. My guide and I struck up a instant friendship. Once the hike started Breakfast River came up fast.We only paused there for a drink and moment of appreciation. My guide was very knowledgeable about the trail and often stopped to point out fauna and flora, birds or interesting tidbits. I am also happy to recall his passion for local politics, which I soaked up as I too like my local politics. The trail was strenuous but made far easier by the enjoyable conversation and insight of my guide. I was often in awe of the beautiful and at times surreal surroundings. The hike is far richer then just the amazing Boiling Lake, it must share the spot light with the valley of desolation , hot pools to soak in, birds, views and the Titou Gorge. A Guide is a must for this hike and I would recommend Kelvin Noel who lives in Laudet. Cheers!

Valley of Desolation going up titou gorge

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Wotten Waven

by Dabs Updated Jan 31, 2010

Dominica is a volcanic island, there are several hot springs and sulfur springs around the island. I'm still a little perplexed at to why we stopped in Wotten Waven at the particular spot we did, the sulfur spring that we were shown was no bigger than a small hot tub, you could see that there was a larger spring in the distance from all the steam but what we saw was not at all impressive. As it's a sulfur spring, it smells like rotten eggs. Apparently there are tubs/spas in the area where you can pay to take a bath in the natural hot water but that wasn't on our itinerary. If you want to try that, ask your guide to include Screw's sulfur spa on the list of things to do that day.

sulphur spring

Wavine Cyrique

by iamcan Written Apr 30, 2007

Wavine Cyrique is found between Rosalie and La Plaine. I stopped at it only by chance thinking it was something else. From the sign on the main road you drive up a steep ridge to the end then follow a path to a cliff. The climb down (marked by a plastic jug on a stick when I was there) is a thrill. You must scamper down using a series of ropes and natural roots. Tough but not all that long. Wet conditions could make the descent dangerous. Once you get to the bottom you are greeted by a beautiful black sand beach. It sparkles in the sun. After a short hike north (left when facing the water) there is a water fall cascading down from the top of the cliffs.

Ropes and roots Wavine Cyrique falls and beach One of the views from the top of the ridge Steep climb

Chaudiere Pool

by iamcan Written May 1, 2007

Chaudiere Pool (sometimes called the Bense Pool) can be found after driving through the village of Bense ,situated on the northeast side of the island near Calibishe. A bumpy road leads you to the trail head. A reasonably steep trail takes you down to a fork in the river. Cross the first river and continue up the second to reach the pool. You can jump into the pool from the rocks on the sides. It was fun!! I was told you can take a loop trail on return but I just back tracked. If your lucky you may see parrots. There is a store on the left once you return to the village, a good place to get a snack and cold drink. The hike is not long and the scenery is beautiful. A must do if you are in the area.

Snokeling

by iamcan Updated May 15, 2007

> Scotts Head --

Park on the isthmus. Walk to the top of Scotts head for nice views. Snorkel in the protected cove out to a drop off.

> Champagne Beach --

Once on the rock beach turn left and head till the end. Snorkel out from there. Bubbles rise from the sea floor. Touch the sand bottom and it feels warm. Push your hand under the sand and it is hot!!

> Rodney's Rock --

An interesting rock to snorkel around. A fair walk along a stone beach from the parking.

> Cabrits National Park --

Once inside the park goto the shore line. Follow the stone beach to a straight line of buoys marking a snorkeling area. --

The stone beaches are hard on the feet. Sturdy footwear is advisable.

ON TOP OF SCOTTS HEAD CHAMPAGNE BEACH SHOT WHILE SNORKELING AT CABRITS NATIONAL PARK
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • National/State Park

Jacko Steps

by iamcan Written May 15, 2007

My Jacko Steps hike was filled with the discovery of plants, fruit, product & farming techniques as shown by my guide. The history of the steps makers, runaway slaves called Maroons, is what put this hike on my must do list. It was a memorable outing which included a river crossing, farm visit and swim.

JAKO STEPS RIVER CROSSING FARMING LAYOU RIVER

Middleham Falls Cruise Excursion

by iamcan Updated May 18, 2007

My wife & I first came to Dominica on a cruise ship in 2000. We chose Middleham Falls as our shore excursion. A combination of this hike, the islands natural beauty, our tour guide's (Peter Green) genuine friendliness, and the sense that a stay on the island could be an adventure and not just another beach holiday instilled in me a desire to return. Several trails lead to the falls. I believe the one we took started in the village of Cochran. Once on the trail it began to rain off & on, very appropriate, as it is a rain forest. In places gnarled roots cover the trail. A tree spontaneously fell & loudly crashed to the forest floor. I wonder if we weren't there would it have made a noise?! ;-). A cleared opening in the forest provided a great viewing spot of the tall slim falls. Soaking in the pool below was like being in a storm as the heavy spray of the thundering water pelts your body and face. The guide climbed part way up the falls and jumped into the pool. To finish off the trek our tour group stopped at a hotel and sat on the terrace over looking a valley and enjoyed cool refreshments.

BOTANIC GARDENS

by iamcan Updated May 18, 2007

I parked on the bay front in Roseau and wandered through the city to reach the gardens. Once there I watched children playing cricket for a moment then continued on to the bird sanctuary. It was closed as it was the birds breeding season. Guess they like privacy ;-) . Next to the sanctuary is Jacks Walk which I took up to Morne Bruce. Great spot for a panoramic picture of Roseau, if you came in by ship you will see it in the port from here. I walked a bit around Morne Bruce, very peaceful. Back in the gardens I saw a school bus crushed beneath a tree during Hurricane David. Just across the road from the bus is an amazing Giant Ficus tree.

TAKE JACKS WALK FOR A GREAT VIEW OF ROSEAU CRUSHED DURING HURRICANE DAVID GIANT FICUS TREE BOTANIC GARDENS CRICKET
    • National/State Park

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Tropical History

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went to the Dominica Museum. It is on the second floor and was small but interesting, and didn't cost too much - it was $3 US each. It also allowed an opportunity to get out of the rain, and take some photos of the ship, harbor and market from the second floor.

The website says:

Housed in an old market house dating from 1810, the museum’s permanent exhibit provides a clear and interesting overview of the island’s geology, history, archaeology, economy, and culture. The displays on pre-Columbian peoples, the slave trade, and the Fighting Maroons—slaves who resisted their white slave owners and established their own communities—are particularly informative.

Closed Sunday.

Photo 2 shows the pre-Columbian area, photo 3 shows a living room of a plantation owner, and photo 5 shows an ordinary person's house. Photo 4 is the septure of authority.

Museum from the ship (upstairs) after closing Canoe used before Europeans arrived Recreation of a room in a planter's house Symbol of Authority Room in an ordinary person's house
    • Museum Visits
    • Eco-Tourism

Milton Falls

by iamcan Updated May 18, 2007

If you go out to Syndicate or Morne Diablotins you might as well stop and take in the short , easy and satisfying trek to Milton Falls. At a brisk pace, it took only 40 - 50 minutes return to complete and I left with a smile on my face. Ask your tour guide to take you there. For the guideless - Along the road to Syndicate look for a shack on the left hand side with a small hand painted (white background) sign that says "Whitnel". A few feet past the shed on the right hand side of the road you will see a dirt road going into farming land . Park there. Although signs warn of 'no trespassing' and made me wary to continue, I asked field workers and a passing motorist and all said it was o.k. to go to the falls. Take the dirt road straight up, do not go right. Passing through the tropical farmers fields was interesting to me as it was so far out of my normal existence. I passed a workers shed close to the road and asked if they had any cold drinks to sell. I bought a Kubuli Beer for $2 US. The river is was only 2 minutes past this shed. Go up stream following the river.

Trafalgar Falls Suprise!

by iamcan Updated May 3, 2006

Trafalgar falls is high on the list of tourist attractions and is a popular cruiseship tour. The twin falls (Mamma and Papa) are sure to please nature and photo buffs. I assumed it would be nice but definately tame. Surprise !! With a tour group it is not a long hike but in a few a places it can be challenging. Do it alone and try going up to Papa and it will be a thrill. There is much more to see and do at Trafalgar than the main cruiseship tour. Ask about , if you are fit , taking the short hike up to Papa and/or taking a dip in a hot water pool. A guide would make this easy and memorable. If you are staying on the Island , read about it, spend the extra time to find out all the wonders of this spot. Live a little and swim at the base of Mamma or Papa. Enjoy !

Papa Vertigo ! path down from Papa Hot water pool (Trafalgar falls below Mamma)

Campbell Nature Trail

by iamcan Updated Sep 27, 2011

An excellent off the beaten path hiking trail, above the western coast village of Mahaut, in Campbell, Dominica. A guide is a must. A good contact for this trail would be Allyne (amaximea@hotmail.com ). He is one of three police officers who in their spare time lead hikes on this trail.
    Click for Campbell Nature Trail video

• Eco-Tourism

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

Stroll around the shops and market stalls

by crazyman2 Written Sep 25, 2007

Just wander, browse around the stalls (and barter!) turn a few corners to get away from the main streets, shop in the commercial shops ---lots of jewellers and trinket sellers.

Beware: Saturday is early closing ---and so if you are coming off a cruise ship then do check the shopping hours carefully.

a main shopping area market style! there may be poverty just around the corner....

VICTORIA FALLS

by iamcan Written Jun 6, 2007

Chances are you will meet Moses (dubbed "keeper of the falls" on one web site) or one his family members at the start of this trail. A welcoming host and a pleasure to meet! Ask if they will cook for you and at the end of your hike you can try some authentic Ital food. Victoria Falls is on private property and you will be asked to pay a small parking/user fee.

It is possible to do this hike on your own. Just stay with the river and don't take any paths that lead away from it. You will be required to do several river crossings. At one point you will see a dry (stone) riverbed to the right. Take this instead of the river as it leads back to the water and is a easier path. Stay to the left on your final approach where you will have to do tricky boulder climbing before reaching the falls. I did find it difficult choosing a path over and around the large slippery boulders and gladly joined a french couple and their guide who happened along. The falls are a lovely sight and a nice spot for a swim.

As always, a guide will make this hike a more enjoyable and safer experience. You can hire one at the start of the trail. Victoria Falls rates high among all the hikes I took in Dominica.

MOSES  VICTORIA FALLS DIRECTIONS  :-) ITAL FOOD SERVED UP BY MOSES

Dominica Hotels

• Beau Rive

Beau Rive is an amazing bed and breakfast style hotel. The proprietor, Mark Steele, took years to...

• Floral Garden Hotel

DEFUNCT Reserve naturelle indienne, Aeroport de melville, Concord Village, , 12975, Caribbean

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Cocoa Cottages

Bobby Frederick is the owner, tour guide, leader, general all around helper and just plain good...

Top Dominica Hotels

Castle Bruce Hotels
See nearby hotels
Calibishie Hotels

Instant Answers: Dominica

Comments

Dominica Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Dominica things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dominica sightseeing.
Map of Dominica