Know about this? Rate It!
El Jardin Botanico. its a...
El Jardin Botanico. its a beautiful place were you can know a bit more about the fauna and flora of this country.
And also Los Tres Ojos, there you will see how nature can divide three different types of water in the same place by using caves.
A nice walk after work, National Botanical Garden
The Jardin Botanico, located in Santo Domingo, is a wonderful place for nature/bird lovers, families, joggers, couples, and just about anyone else to spend a morning or afternoon. The well-maintained park has a main road the loops around the entire garden, allowing you to see all parts easily. The Japanese garden is lovely and meticuously maintained.
Bird lovers will want to visit in the morning, preferably on a weekday, before the crowds arrive. At the park, you'll see the ubiquitous palmchat, the Hispaniolan woodpecker, hummingbirds, flycatchers, and even aquatic birds such as the purple gallinule. Reptile lovers will want to keep a lookout for fauna; a beautifully patterned little boa slithered across the path when I visited.
The park has a rather noisy train that circles the park. Anxious to finish the last circuit of the day, our driver led us through at what seemed like break-neck speed. The train was pretty crowded, with people leaning out, etc.--not what I'd consider safe. If at all possible, I strongly recommend walking rather than viewing the park by train. You'll see a lot more--and burn the calories from all that Brugal and Presidente you've consumed!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Santo Domingo Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Porto Covo
- Celbridge Hotels
- Sasolburg Hotels
- South West Rocks
- Santolan Hotels
- Province de Tetouan Hotels
- Coos Bay
- Ile d'Orleans
- Tokyo Off The Beaten Path
- Malibu Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Springs Off The Beaten Path
- Vietnam Off The Beaten Path
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- Other Place to Go
- Kassel Off The Beaten Path
- Sligo Off The Beaten Path
- Southport Off The Beaten Path
- Riomaggiore Off The Beaten Path