Beat up carro público
    Bread vendor
    Notice the 3 people in the motoconcho

• By taxi

Santo Domingo Transportation

Before leaving for my trip to the Dominican Republic I was able to call (for free) from the United States a taxi service, www.SantoDomingoTaxi.com at 877-375-7051. I wanted to fly into Santo Domingo because I could get a direct cheaper flight. I had two destinations I needed to go to. I spent a week in Juan Dolio and then I needed to go to the...

• Metro/Caribe Tours (first class buses)

Santo Domingo Transportation

One of the best and probably cheapest way to travel on the island is by bus with Caribe tour. The busses are equipped with air-conditionning and television. For a 4 or 5-hour-fare, you'll only pay +/- 100 pesos.

• By bus

Santo Domingo Transportation

In Santo Domingo we have 2 kinds of buses: OMSA buses: the government buses with scheduled stops, they come in 3 kinds: the ones without air conditioning and the cheapest ones, the ones with air conditioning and the express ones that make less stops. If you want to get off you simply pull the cord. Union buses: property of the various transport...

• Airports

Santo Domingo Transportation

I paid to have VIP Travel Services transport me from SDQ airport to Santo Domingo (Colonial District) but when I arrived no one from VIP was there. I was told it happens often. I had to take a taxi to my hotel. If you use VIP, plan for taxi fare just in case they do not show up.

• By motorcycle (motoconcho or mototaxi)

Santo Domingo Transportation

Another alternative when it comes to means of getting around. These are the most expensive and most dangerous. They're not as cheap as the buses or the share-a-taxis and they definitely do NOT have the same long routes. Dominicans also use motoconchos for transporting stuff.

• By share-a-taxi (carro público)

Santo Domingo Transportation

Convenient, cheap but less safe than the buses. The share-a-taxis are popular among capitaleños (people from Santo Domingo). You might have seen them: a typical car with the driver, 2 people on the front seat and 4 on the back. They'll travel the same route back and forth and will pick up and drop off passengers wherever (although not in the middle...

• By metro

Santo Domingo Transportation

A metro line is being constructed in Santo Domingo and it's expected to be fully operational in Feb 2008 but will be formally open to the masses in Apr 2008. The route consists of 16 stations for a length of 14,5km. Edit Apr 2009: alright, so we took the metro. The wagons reminded me of the Madrid metro and it's not so weird considering that they...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Distrito Nacional? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Have you been to Distrito Nacional? Write about Distrito Nacional to help travelers.

Distrito Nacional Hotels

Los Minas Hotels
Haina Hotels
El Castillo Hotels

Instant Answers: Distrito Nacional

Comments

Distrito Nacional Transportation

Reviews and photos of Distrito Nacional transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Distrito Nacional sightseeing.
Map of Distrito Nacional