Punta Cana What to Pack

• luvthesun's Profile Photo

Bring Bandaids!!

by luvthesun Updated Oct 31, 2004

My hottie husband!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Women - I like to get dressed up when I go out! (due to staying at home with kids and living in sweats and pony tails). So when I get a chance to put on makeup and nice clothes, I do! I read alot of reviews saying-"dress is casual, bring comfy shoes, blah, blah...."
    I bought a dress for every day of the week, changed for breakfast, beach, dinner and disco-and I was not out of place.
    Everybody dressed in everything from shorts for supper to dresses . So wear what you want to to!! Have fun! After all how often do you get to eat lobster looking out at the Caribbean, or stroll hand in hand with your man at midnight-full moon, waves crashing on shore-it is truly amazing!

Men- my husband wore sport coats, slacks, no ties. He looked good. No one will ever say-"hey, you look to good to be here."
    The people we went with(20 of them)-wished they brought nicer clothes.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring bandaids!! Especially those gel bandaids, I don't know what they are called, but they are gel like and skin toned, they are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't forget those blister bandaids, they are for blisters, and if you're like me, you'll need them!

Photo Equipment: Bring Film and water proof cameras!!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Don't forget to pack...

by travelgirl3 Updated Dec 2, 2004

Kids at the Local School

Luggage and bags: Bring an extra bag for the stuff you may buy there.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Immodium
    Immodium
    Immodium
    and don't forget the Immodium!

Bring a coloured facecloth. Sounds weird, but you probably won't get one with your daily towels. Don't bring a white one, as it may get mixed in with the Hotel laundry

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Make sure you pack an insulated cup with a snap-on lid. You can fill it with coffee for your morning walk on the beach. Then rinse it out (don't use tap water!) and throw it in your beach bag. Once the beach bar opens, have the bartender fill it up. It's much more efficient that using the tiny little cups offered at most resorts, and they would much rather make up 1 large drink than 3 little ones. Plus, the snap on lid will keep the sand out, and the cold in. If you're tight for space going home, leave them behind for another traveller. You'll make a new friend!

Miscellaneous: Don't forget the children! No, I don't mean leaving your own behind in the restaurant!! I'm talking about the Children of the Dominican Republic. We brought along 2 bags of school supplies, grabbed a cab to the nearest town, and dropped them off at the school. All the kids were in 1 room, regardless of their age/grade. The teachers were very appreciative, and the kids were so happy to get items they wouldn't normally have. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest - just hit the Dollar Store before you leave and stock up. And remember, no candy!! They don't have the access to dental care we have come to expect. Bring toothbrushes and paste instead - or sugarless gum.

• thetimidtraveller's Profile Photo

I'm not saying sunscreen

by thetimidtraveller Written Jun 24, 2006

Luggage and bags: Pick up a mesh beach bag... the kind that you can throw your sunscreen, towel, book and sunglassed into. I loved coming across this tip somewhere. All of that sand that you would otherwise be hauling back to the room at the end of the night just falls right out of the mesh. Definitely a good buy.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack light... do yourself a favor. One sweater. That's all you need. Two pairs of long pants for dinners. Other wise bathing suits and tank tops and shorts. Oh... and don't do what I did and buy a pair of sandals and bring them without ever wearing them anywhere. My feet were KILLING me and I wound up having to buy the only pair of sandals that would fit me with no thong affect to hurt my already blistered toe. I spent the week in a pair of purple kids sandals with little girls all over them!!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring a couple of everything. If I had to do it all over again I would have brought two of every pill known to man just in case. Antibiotics, allergy meds, pain killers, saline solution!! There was a day when all of the drinking and sun hit me hard and I could have used a seriously fast hydration drip.

Photo Equipment: Bring your camera darnit. I listened to all of the warnings that said to not bring anything valuable... that you would be taking a huge chance on things getting stolen. So I left my camera behind. Boy did I regret that. My friends had their's of course so I did get some pics but there were sooooo many things that I wished I had captured. Sooo many people and moments. In the future I will call any stolen cameras collateral damage incurred upon trying to capture memories.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I brought a towel. How silly is that. It was so easy to go to this little hut by the pool and give them your towel card in exchange for a towel. Then you'd give it back at the end of the day. I read a tip somewhere that towel and beach chairs are hard to come across so I packed my own.... boy did I ever overpack for that trip.

• Snacks!

by sheriPA Written Feb 13, 2007

Luggage and bags: I'd bring a small carryon bag with your swimsuit or shorts if you are arriving before check-in time (usually 3 p.m.) and an extra beach towel if you will be staying at the resort after checking out.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A Bathing suit, cover-up for going into the buffet for lunch, and flip flops are what I wore 80% of the time. Of course you need something more for dinner/evening, men usually need to wear long pants to dinner, but I wore jean skirts most of the time and even then only had that stuff on for a few hours. Don't bring a bunch of clothes, waste of space.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Immodium, Pepto, Rolaids, Bandaids.

Photo Equipment: Lots and lots of film. Lots of memory space if you do digital, there are sooo many beautiful things you'll want to photograph

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Insulated mug, beach bag, sunscreen, hair clip if you have long hair because it's very breezy on the beach, sunglasses.

Miscellaneous: Bring snacks, chips, Doritos, pretzels, etc. if you like that sort of stuff. They have it at the resorts stores, but very expensive.

• jenrb73's Profile Photo

DRINKS!

by jenrb73 Written Dec 22, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Minimal clothing and LOTS of swim suit bottoms ;)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toiletries are very expensive! Bring aspirin, pepto and immodium, band-aids, lip balm with high spf, aloe and TAMPAX!

Photo Equipment: Bring plenty of batteries for the camera and a water camera.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Snorkle gear. You won't regret it.

Miscellaneous: Bring LARGE insulated cups with lids. Bartenders would much rather fill one large than five small ;) and wash clothes/face towels because they don't have them at the resort.

• Beer Tasting

• csc0911's Profile Photo

OFF Mosquito repellent

by csc0911 Updated Jul 22, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: One thing I was luckily able to find was individually wrapped towelettes of OFF! brand mosquito repellent. This worked perfectly as we could take a few of these packets with us when on a trip and easily re-apply a coating of the repellent. I found them at the local Rite-Aid in the states. 12 towelettes for $5.

Miscellaneous: Try this link to drugstore.com:

• quartinb's Profile Photo

light bags

by quartinb Updated Jan 12, 2005

Luggage and bags: very light luggage and bags,

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: __________________________________________________

cos yu only need to bring light clothes and "sandalias". thou' a nite gown, for ladies, and trousers, for men,are required to some resorts, for yu to dine or go to the discoteque.
    __________________________________________________

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: __________________________________________________

sunburn protection, of course, and headache and constipation pills.anyway they have medical centre at the resorts.

Photo Equipment: __________________________________________________
    digital digital
    with 2 or 3 hundreds MB avaible cards.

• toontown's Profile Photo

Bring your own pillows

by toontown Updated Jan 4, 2004

Luggage and bags: Make sure you bring a small beach bag or backpack for toting things to the beach for the day. The rooms are a short walk from the beach so it's better than walking back for stuff all the time.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Don't need much besides sandals and a bikini! OK, you will also need a couple of dresses/pants and shirts for dinner. The resort area is a little less casual than our trips to Mexico were, but still somewhat casual.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I got wicked mosquito bites on my legs (in the evening I think), so take repellant and lots of sunscreen, 'cause it's expensive to buy there.

Photo Equipment: Underwater camera for the coral and fishes!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We brought our own plastic drinking cups with lids. You can fill them up from the fridge in your room or from the bar with lots of ice and take them to the beach with you. The pool bar isn't too far from the beach, but the cups aren't very big, so it save you from to-ing and fro-ing if you're lazy like us.

We also brought out own air mattress for floating out on the ocean (not allowed in the pools).

Miscellaneous: The best thing we brought with us besides the obvious beach gear was our own feather pillows from home! I like the firmness of the mattresses but can't stand flat hard hotel pillows. We simply stuck them in a big bag with our snorkelling gear. It's important to get a good night's sleep after you've had a hard day on the beach!

• vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

Gifts from the Dollar Store

by vabchtraveler Written Oct 13, 2009

Punta Cana - Floating Around inParadise

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We purchased blow-up pool floats for use in the resort's swimming pools. Also, took thermos covered cups for swimming up to and returning from the swim-up bar. And, as always, carried our own snorkel gear -- some snorkeling from the beach -- saw a baby octopus, and, would rather use my own mouthpiece on party (group) snorkeling trips.

Miscellaneous: Since power outages can occur, we took a flashlight. We had no outage. We also took ponchos but saw no rain and mosquito repellent but saw no mosquitos. After reading what others had written, we went shopping at the local Dollar Store and took school supplies (crayons, pencils, pencil trimmers, erasers, coloring books, etc) which we parcelled out each day for our maids to take to their children. We also took old (good condition) costume jewelry. We still tipped our maids but felt that perhaps we provided some things that might not otherwise have access to.

Money is needed

by Umfufu Written Feb 25, 2003

Garry !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luggage and bags: Bring any thing you need with you, Punta Cana is very very expensive.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Nice cool clothing, when we were there in October it was not below the 25 degrees at night. Just one day i needed a sweather in the morning.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring this aswell...we need something and we were broke ha ha...no just bring it, as i said before its expensive

Photo Equipment: Like this little fellow up here,...bring your Pentax...or better bring a camera that works, bring films and a battery...make sure everything works before you leave home.

Miscellaneous: We didnt see a lot of musquitoos but you better bring the stuff with you.

• kwikwit's Profile Photo

things you don't leave at home

by kwikwit Written Jun 6, 2005

Luggage and bags: if your going as a couple one large bag each was fine along with a carryone each.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: ponchos for rain,water shoes as the ocean can cut your feet..pick them up cheap at walmart. I overpacked but didn't run out of clothes. An outfit of shorts for daytime and capries for night worked out fine for me..along with swimwear. Don't forget the insect repellent also. Some were bothered at night as I was.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: aspirin,antibiotics,all personal care,sunscreen,bandaids,pain medications, they charge an arm and a leg for any personal item in the gift shop.

Photo Equipment: Took my 35 mm. camera,my digital camera, and an underwater camera is fine. Didn't bother with movie as you would have to keep recharging it.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: cover up for bathing suite.,t-shirts for guys.,

Games and reading stuff

by Umfufu Written Sep 25, 2002

Rain in the pool

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Resort

Miscellaneous: A game to play, a good book or something else you can do when the rain comes....its not for very long this rain is falling but when it falls its like you are under a shower. But you could always go and swimm in the rain in the pool, cause the water is nice and warm.

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Casual and Beach Apparel

by windoweb Written Feb 17, 2006

Show at the resort

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring plenty of beach clothing - beach wraps are great to pack

Photo Equipment: Bring a waterproof camera for excursions

Lots of tanning lotion !

by Umfufu Written Oct 2, 2002

Fan in full speed

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Resort

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: After sun is needed, cause you cant bring a fan all day with you. In this hotel is one in every room. And airco too, so you can imagine that most of the time its very hot!

Snorkling gear

by Umfufu Written Sep 25, 2002

Yv and Poo-brown Frans

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Resort

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Snorkling gear is needed in a place like this, but remember the sun will burn you even 1 meter under the water...so bring a good sunblocker.

Instant Answers: Punta Cana

Comments

Punta Cana What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Punta Cana what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Punta Cana sightseeing.