Outback Safari, Punta Cana

5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

• Outback Safari

by Cubalibrelover Updated Oct 18, 2010

Just got back from my adventure with Outback Safari, and I have to say it was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

I've been on trips all over the world (Ephesus in Morroco, a daytrip to Cairo, Historic St Tropez, Viking trail in York), but I have to say that this was by far one of the best and was really good value.

My family's guide was Leandro, and he made the day fun, exciting and informative. He was very knowledgable about the local wildlife and culture and joked around with us the whole way.

We visited a local farmhouse and sampled their homemade coffee and fudge. Then visited a school, where the children were really happy to see us. I have to admit some of the backroads we took were a little bumpy, but our driver skillfully stopped us from shaking about too much.

I have to say my favourite part of the day was lunch! We visited a pituresque mountainside ranch and ate a fantastic meal of fried chicken and rice. There was plenty of it and it was followed by ice cream (which was very welcome in the midday heat). The scenery is breathtaking from the ranch, we could see for miles right to the sea... The smoke from the coffee plantations gave the whole thing a very pirates of the caribbean look. Behind us were huge mountains. After lunch we sampled more Dominican coffee and then went for a tour of the grounds, which included watching cigars being rolled and a visit to (my son's favourite bit) the HUGE crocodiles and iguanas. I was personally very pleased that they were kept firmly behind lock and key (especially when they got fed).

After a visit to the rum shack (I forgot to mention we were kept well stocked with booze all day), we jumped back on the bus and headed off to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. As we rounded the corner I was gobsmacked at the sheer beauty of what I saw. The water was so many shades of blue and the sand was almost white, beautiful. I decided to relax but my wife and the kids all felt more adventurous and went boogie boarding with Leandro. They came back with huge grins and my youngest, Will, couldn't stop laughing.

Then it was back to the hotel for a much needed rest and a few more cuba libres!

I had heard so many reviews of safaris that didn't live up to their promises that I was a little scared to book this one. But I have to say that I'm glad I did. We booked through Thomson and felt that they had really checked this trip out properly.
    It really was a day that I will treasure forever and our guide Leandro deserves a pay rise!

Five stars out of five for a WONDERFUL adventure!!!!

• Adventure Travel
    • Safari

• Outback Safari Excursion

by berrygirl Written Apr 6, 2007

Our Apple tour guide helped us book our Outback Safari Excursion (for an extra fee, as this was not included in the price of the resort). A cross between a truck and a bus picked us up at our hotel and took us around the Dominican countryside. The tour guide on the bus was very friendly and helpful. He offered soft drink as well as alcoholic beverages and told us about Dominican life and culture. The truck made several stops so that we could get out and get up-close and personal with the Dominican landscape. Some of the stops we made on our tour included a coffee and vanilla plantation and a family’s home. It was a little odd walking through someone’s home. We wondered how much these people get paid for opening this house to curious American tourists and how do they manage to keep their house clean at all time in anticipation for the next tourist visit. For lunch, we stopped at a ranch but I was a little carsick from the truck and so could not eat. Instead, I fell asleep in one of the hummocks hanging between shaded trees in the ranch and woke up feeling much better. Before the end of the trip, we stopped at a beach and boogie boarded. At the very end of the trip the guide offered us Safari hats and T-shirt to purchase as a souvenir. While some of the other people on our truck complained that the tour was too long, too hot, too touristy and so on, I really enjoyed the experience and was glad I took the chance to get out of the resort and see something other than the beach.

Instant Answers: Punta Cana