Isla Saona Travel Guide

by quartinb
    by Robert_Hun

Isla Saona Things to Do

• Iguanas

Along the sailing, if you are lucky, you can see the iguanas sunbath over the rocks. I didn't see them.

• The village

The fisherman's village is worth seeing. There are some stalls on the beach and women sell the usual tourist merchandise, while men go to fish. Their little coloured houses are a great view.

• Starfishes

This place is called Natural Swimminpool and you can swim in the water about 1 meters and half high and see the starfishes. Take care to pick up them. They can't get out of the water or else they could die.

Isla Saona Restaurants

by Joan58 Written Feb 11, 2003

The restaurant is homespun. Just tables and benchs with a tatched roof. In this way they don't ruin the beauty of the place and you can have lunch on the beach protected from the sun.

Favorite Dish: Grilled fish and several foods you can take at the buffet. Inevitable the pasta (you know, Italian people can't do without it!).

Enjoy the food!!

Isla Saona Transportation

by Joan58 Written Feb 11, 2003

To reach Isla Saona you have to go to Bayahibe, where the motorboats sail. In 1996 I left from here. After 40 minutes by boat I arrived at the island. This time I stayed at a holiday village along the coast, so I took less time.

The leaving

Isla Saona Shopping

by Joan58 Written Feb 11, 2003

At the village there are some stalls who sell beautiful naive paintings.

What to buy: I bought a bottle of coconut oil by an itinerant seller on the beach. They get the oil from the coconuts and fill up empty bottle of rhum. Obsiouvly when I came home the oil became solid. Never mind! I'll use it the next summer.

Isla Saona Local Customs

• People

People here are so cheerfull and nice! They like being photographed. They pose also with curlers on their head.

• Children

Where you are in the village many children sorroud you asking one dollar. I don't like give them money. I had just a packet of chewing gum. Bad idea! They swallowed them! I think it's better if you get them pastels, pens and exercise books. A fact is certain, if you give them something, you don't shake them off. But they are so nice!!

• Isla Saona Hotels

0 Hotels in Isla Saona

Isla Saona Warnings and Dangers

• The other side of the coin

This paradisiac place has a little hell. In the hurrican season it can happen that the storm passes down here. In September 1998 hurrican George caused great damages. Luckly don't happen frequently; about every 15-20 years people are obliged to take refuge in the mainland while the hurrican are destroying everything. After they come back and...

• An exciting experience

The sailing is an exciting experience. The motorboats go very fast (I think the drivers are just a little crazy!) and you'll take many bumps that shake you violently. For this reason children and pregnant women are not allowed to the trip.

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Isla Saona Tourist Traps

by Joan58 Written Feb 11, 2003

I've been here 6 years ago. At that time the beaches were desert and wild. Today many tour operators took possession of part of these beaches, fitting out them with deckchairs and open air restaurants. Luckly they placed what is strictly necessary and didn't ruin the beauty of these places. Personally I liked better once.

Isla Saona Off The Beaten Path

• On Saturday

Saturday is the day of supply. A boat arrives at the island and people unload goods. Also the children help and work hard, but always with cheerfulness. I think it's a great joy for them who live in an isolated place.

• It's just a dream...

Going around the village I've found the house of my dreams. What do you think about? Nothing more but sun, sea, sand and a blue sky. This is the life!!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Isla Saona? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Isla Saona Favorites

by Joan58 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Every day many tourists arrive at Isla Saona. On the whole is a nice trip, beginning from the leaving. The voyage is an adventure in itself. The motorboats sail along the coast of the Parque Nacional del Este, so you can see the wild nature and an enchanting sea with changing colours, from deep blue to turquoise...and green...and light blue...What a sight!!

Fondest memory: I've been here before in 1996 and I wanted to come back because this place is what I mean thinking at the Caribbean. The things I like most are the incredible colours of the nature and I filled my eyes with them. The blue of the sky, the torquoise of the sea, the white of the sand and the green of the palmtrees. They look like a picture of Garden of Eden.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Isla Saona

Comments

Explore Deeper into Isla Saona
Map of Isla Saona