Jarabacoa Things to Do

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Salto de Jimenoa

by ValbyDK Updated Apr 6, 2014

The fall

The waterfall, Salto de Jimenoa, is located a few kilometers outside Jarabacoa. There is a parking lot at the entrance, and from the parking lot you must take a 20-25 minutes walk to reach the fall. Most of the walk is along the river, so it's a really nice walk.

When you get to the waterfall, it is possible to take a swim in the second pool after the fall – it’s prohibited to swim in the first pool. At the fall, there is a very small track or path going up – its nearly hidden – and from the top you can have a small glance of the fall from above. BUT it is not a part of the official track system and it’s a difficult track – therefore I will not recommend doing it.

There used to be a restaurant at the waterfall (El Salto Restaurant), but it was closed - and it looked like it has been closed for some time. Remember to bring you own food and drinks (water if it’s a hot day).

There are four falls in the area of Jarabacoa, and Salto de Jimenoa is not the highest fall - but the only one I have visited...

Admission fee:
    In 2006, the entrance fee to the waterfall area was 20 peso, and you must also pay a few pesos to use the parking lot.

• Water Sports

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Rancho Baiguate

by marielexoteria Updated Sep 20, 2007

This is *the* place for trekking, rafting on the Yaque del Norte river (the longest on the country and the Caribbean) and canyoning. They also offer a tour to the Baiguate and Jimenoa waterfalls on horse back or on jeep and excursions to Pico Duarte, the highest mountain in the Antilles.

If you feel like spending the night there, you can choose between their own hotel or Hotel Pinar Dorado. Rancho Baiguate also has a buffet restaurant and their a la carte El Rancho.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Visit La Confluencia

by marielexoteria Updated Oct 26, 2007

La Confluencia is a place where 2 rivers meet: Yaque del Norte (the longest river of the country) and Jimenoa. As a child I remember it to "swim" and play and have fun with other kids on the Jimemoa river side, as it was the less deep one. If you're going there, take precautions if you want to swim by the deep part, sort of in the middle of the "intersection", because the currents there can become strong enough to cause accidents (and they have).

• Gold Panning Adventures

by kdtjr Updated Feb 19, 2010

Panning the creek

Jarabacoa Gold Company is the only ones who offer this type of excursion. They offer 1/2 day and full day Gold panning trips to the creeks and streams around Jarabacoa. We went on a full day excursion to Manaboa, near the base of Pico Duarte, although they have several sites in which they take guests. We had a great time, great food, great views that most people don't get to see and I found a little over a half gram of Gold flake that day. Be sure and take water and insect repellent as one of the sites we panned there were a few bugs. All and all well worth the time and money. They also can help you with white water rafting, hiking, horseback riding and lodging.

• Hiking and Walking

• The Undiscovered Waterfall

by mcouhig Updated Jul 28, 2007

There are many guides offering their services in Jarabacoa. Most of them will not recommend a visit to Salto De Jimenoa Uno, the tallest waterfall in the area. They will instead recommend Salto De Jimenoa Dos and Salto Baiguate, two smaller waterfalls. That's because Uno is hard to get to -- or more accurately, it's hard to get back from (you walk down perhaps 2000 vertical feet to arrive at its base). The guides have no interest in pulling that hill.

Do it anyway. This is the waterfall used in Jurassic Park, and it is appropriately spectacular. The chances are you'll be all alone as you enjoy it. Among the pleasures are the epiphytes, including Spanish moss (which startled this Louisiana boy), and spectacular bromeliads. Near the large smooth black rocks at the base of the waterfall, look too for ginger growing wild. You'll recognize it by its saber leaves and its wonderful, fragrant white blossom.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Mountain Climbing

• T-H's Profile Photo

Gold Panning

by T-H Written Mar 9, 2010

gold panning

Explore the middle of the island of the Dominican Republic. I got to know a guy doing gold panning. Was really great !! Going all day to the river panning for gold and REALLY found a lot of gold you can keep. BIG fun and a great experience.

www.jarabacoagold.webs.com

• Jarabacoa Gold Panning and Horseback Riding

by doctorevil Written May 12, 2010

My family and I are currently visiting the Dominican Republic. None of us know any Spanish at all, except for Hola (hello). I have my brand new English to Spanish book in hand. The kids are saying we're on a great adventure. We arrived in Santo Domingo and spent a few days there. The Colonial Zone is fantastic. There are lots of places to eat and lots of architecture to see. We went to Columbus park and saw the statue of Christopher Columbus. We were on a photo walk and took quite a few pics. We decided to take some advise from a friend here and took off for Jarabacoa. Jarabacoa is beautiful. There are mountains all around and it's much cooler here than in Santo Domingo. We went horseback riding near the river and then saw a place called Rancho 2 Rios. They had horseback riding as well, but we didn't know it at the time. The property is beautiful. There is a large pool and a jacuzzi. We decided to stay the night. The rooms are large and very nice. The kids love it because they show movies at night on a large flat screen tv outside. At breakfast we were asking what there is to do and as they were going through a great list of possibles they said something about gold panning. My husband perked up. This was something he's been wanting to do for a while. Now the kids are all jazzed up about finding gold and striking it rich. We were given the number of the Jarabacoa Gold Company. They told us about an all day trip to Manabao, in the mountains. We all had a great time looking for and finding some gold.We also were told a lot of history about the Taino indians and Christopher Columbus. The kids were hanging on every word.When it was lunch time we were taken to a very small village. There were Dominican ladies standing outside in a outdoor kitchen making our lunch. We all had a great time and have so many great pictures to share. Here are a few. We'll let you know how the rest of the trip pans out. Next step Samana.

• Adventure Travel

• Hiking in Jarabacoa and Manabao, D.R.

by Linda881 Written May 23, 2010

On a recent trip to Jarabacoa I had the pleasure of going on a Hiking trip in Manabao. We went on a day trip which started by car transporting us up into the mountains where we started our hiking journey. The area was very remote and absolutely beautiful. We hiked for about an hour through, what was at times, heavy jungle but still a walkable trail. Other times it reminded me of hiking in either the mountains of Tennessee or Georgia. Lots of pine trees and Spanish moss. We came upon a waterfall, in the middle of nowhere. This definitely wasn't a site that most visitors to this country experience, untouched and completely natural and it looked to me that we were probably the first visitors this waterfall had seen in some time. Midway into the day, we stopped at a village where our guide had made prior arrangements for lunch. The ladies served up a Dominican style lunch that was excellent. This trip gave me a view of the Dominican Republic that I will never forget. Being an avid hiker, I was in heaven. Some may think the terrain was a little tough in areas, but not me. The guide did tell me that they have other hikes not quite as physically demanding for people that just like to take a nice easy adventure, photo walks etc. I recommend this trip for anyone that likes to hike. You defiantly will want a guide as finding the trails and knowing where to go would be almost impossible without. My next trip to Dominican Republic I am going to Pico Duarte.

• Hiking and Walking

• Adventure Activities at Rancho Baiguate

by HBUChip Written Jun 16, 2009
    Baiguate Waterfall

Rancho Baiguate offers lots of fun activities. I went horseback riding to the Jimenoa and the Baiguate Waterfall, white water rafting on the Yaque del Norte River, and did the Ropes Course. All the guides and staff were really fun, friendly and helpful. For the horseback riding, you have local boys riding with you on the back of your horse, some as young as 8 years old! It's a wonder how he saw over my head!

Instant Answers: Jarabacoa

Comments

Jarabacoa Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Jarabacoa things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jarabacoa sightseeing.