Sosúa Local Customs

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

~ Departure Tax ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written Apr 25, 2007

~ Get Your Dollars Ready ~

You have to pay a departure tax when leaving the Dom Rep.

It is 20 US Dollars per person.

Make sure you save this at the beginning of your holiday, we kept it save inside our passports so we didnt spend it. But it has been known that people havent had the money when leaving the country.. not quite sure what happens there though.

We had to go through check in and security then you pay your departure tax once you get inside the terminal building, they then announce which gate it is that you pay your tax at.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

~ Tourist Visa ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written Apr 25, 2007

~ US Dollars ~

You can buy your tourist visa before you travel to the Dom Rep or you can get it on arrival at Puerta Plata airport. We were worried that there was going to be anormous queues of people wanting to get a visa but i was surprised.

All we did was go straight through to a counter, they check your passport and you give them 10 US Dollars per person. Try to give the correct money otherwise dont expect any change back!
    They give you a little card with a stamp on, that is your tourist visa. Then you get your passport stamped again and they take the card from you. Simple as that!

• Bachata

by TitAnik Updated May 30, 2005

I'm very fond of this popular music of the Dominican Republic. Basically, it was the music of the poor people. The most popular bachatu is Anthony Santos. When I went for the 1st time in DR in September 1996, I heard in the streets of Sosùa the hit song "De ti" from the bachatero Andy Peña, named el beiby del Amargue. I loved it and bought his souvenir cassette album "Nunca es tarde".
    One of my favourite bachata singers are Monchy y Alexandra, Zacarias Fereira, and the band Aventura.

• Music

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

Bachata

by Bigjones Updated Dec 8, 2003
    Aventura

I learned how to dance "bachata" in a bar in Sosua ("Plutus"). With merengue, bachata is another style of popular music in the Dominican Republic. "Bachata" derives from the countryside of the Dominican Republic and sounds more melancholic. It appeared about one century after merengue and is more the music of poor people. Songs are about the lack of work, the sadness of a love long gone, etc. Pretty sad, but very nice to dance on it. One of my favourite bachata bands is Aventura and one of my favourite songs is "Obsesion".

Instant Answers: Sosúa

Comments

Sosúa Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Sosúa local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sosúa sightseeing.