Sports Events in Dominican Republic

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Dominican Republic

• starship's Profile Photo

Skeet and Trap Shooting

by starship Updated Sep 25, 2006

One of the things my son and husband liked about the stop at Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic was the chance to do some skeet shooting. They booked this as an excursion from the ship and though a little pricey, this would be not much more expensive than at home. The cost was probably around $75 USD. They were able to shoot for quite a long time, and got much help from the attendant at the resort who really went out of his way to make this an enjoyable experience for the guys. Targets can be geared to fly at different heights and directions so success is of course, according to your ability.

After the shooting session was over, they were also had a chance for a little respite from the heat and take in some cool drinks in another part of the massive resort area in a little cabana of sorts with a thatched palm roof --- very tropical. The guys had a great day and said they would definitely try this again if we ever return to Casa de Campo.

This sport was once available on cruise ships, and I remember being intrigued by having such activities available on a cruise ship. But due to environmental concerns and the liability and safety issues, skeet shooting on cruise ships is a thing of the past.

Equipment: Wear comfortable and loose clothing. Due to the intense sun and heat, you might do well to wear a visor and sunglasses and sunblock. The resort provides all other equipment.

• starship's Profile Photo

"Teeth of the Dog"

by starship Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of the many things that the Casa de Campo Resort is known for is its golf! Designed by Pete Dye, the legendary "Teeth of the Dog" is ranked the No. 1 golf course in the Caribbean and ranks in the top 50 courses in the world! Playing a round of golf on "The Teeth of the Dog" course will set you back around $200 (2005) and that does not included the golf cart (shared cart, $25 pp)!!

The "Dye Fore" course is priced about the same, but the "Links" is the least expensive of the three. "Teeth of the Dog" course is supposedly currently closed for landscaping (although I've seen info. that says you can still play there at a discount for the inconvenience) but the 2 other courses on are open.

Look for the mobile "Oasis Bar" that makes its way around the course selling drinks and snacks for your convenient pleasure! Reserving tee time here is critical if you don't want to miss out on some of the best golf and scenery in the world! They make it easy for you by being able to reserve tee-times on line!

NOTE: Surcharges, etc. may apply to any rates mentioned above. Call or e-mail to confirm your costs in advance.

• oldhippy's Profile Photo

Name Your Sport.,You'll Find It Here - Ex. Skiing!

by oldhippy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rather Than me telling you all the sports and activiites...which includes all categories of sports listed...Here is a couple of links that detail:

"If you are looking for action...You are going to find it in the DR!"

Go to either of these links below:

North Coast Sports Link

• Windsurfing

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

General Tips

by marielexoteria Written Jan 8, 2008

All AI (all inclusive) hotels offer an array of sports for those of you who want to do something else other than lay on the beach (which is great IMO). Their range of activities is different from hotel to hotel but a few ones are kayaking, snorkeling, and on the "dry" (not beach) side volleyball, tennis, bike riding, horse riding, etc.

AI guests enjoy a free hour of most of the activities and should they exceed that time, they pay a small fee which should be asked for or published/written on a blackboard or a list. For the motorized sports/activities and a few others like banana boat, windsurfing, diving one must pay a fee.

Equipment: All hotels offering sports have their own equipment, either free of charge or by paying a fee. Consult the hotel.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Extreme Sports

by marielexoteria Written Jan 9, 2008

Dominican Republic offers to those who like extreme sports: canyoning, river rafting, trekking, mountain bike and excursions to Pico Duarte, the highest mountain in the country and the Greater Antilles (Cuba, DR/Haiti, Puerto Rico and Jamaica), being Jarabacoa/Constanza where the action is. A lot of tour operators do from day trips to week long tours, depending on the activity.

The tour operator that offers the most complete array of extreme sports tours is Colonial Tours and for those who want to go by themselves, then Rancho Baiguate is *the* place to contact.

Equipment: All necessary equipment can be rented at the place.

• Eco-Tourism

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

Let's go Diving!

by ScubaCat Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Dominican, being the largest island in the Carribean, has got a lot of dive sites with a lot of diversity. Up North on the Atlantic side you have a chance to see big mammels such as sharks, rays or dolphins, but beware, this area has extremly rough waters & is preferred by many windsurfers & sailboats. Still on the Atlantic side but in the Punta Cana area, you have an opportunity to see the big mammels again, if your lucky. I for one didn't see much. This area is known for it's wreck diving. The one dive I did in the Atlantic was a drift dive & happened to be my 1st dive right after certification & boy oh boy, I almost hung up my fins on that one. Thank goodness there were several veteran divers around to assure me that no, this doesn't happen very often & even the divemaster felt sick (I got seasick watching the current move the sand around on the ocean floor at 60 feet....I had to ascend, but unfortunately didn't make it. I got sick in my regulator & then when I did reach the surface I feed the fishes bigtime. At least I wasn't the only 1 heaving. The best area for diving, imo, is on the Carribean side. It's much calmer & although you don't have the opportunity to see big mammels, you see lots of colorful tropical fish, eagle rays & we did the most terrific wall dive I have done yet. Just hanging there at 65 feet, we had visibility for another 150 feet. Gosh it was gorgeous with the Sun streaming in above & looking down, down, down into never, never land.

Equipment: Once again, no need to bring a thing other than your own mask & fins. Which I always recommen that people own their own masks & fins in order to not fight with keeping the fins on or getting water in their masks. We dove with Scuba Caribe on the beach at Punta Cana along the strip of Riu hotels & they were fantastic. We rented the BCD, wetsuit, tank & weights. They took wonderful care of us! Even when my cumberbund on my BCD came loose & the divemaster tried to tell me about it, (dummy me, couldn't figure out what he was saying) so he swam over & fixed it for me. Could have been disastrouris had I lost my BCD & tumbled to never, never land.

• Beaches

• ScubaVirgilio's Profile Photo

" HAVE FUN DIVING WITH ME!!! "

by ScubaVirgilio Updated Jun 7, 2003

Why Scuba Diving? Because can give you wonderful and rare EMOTIONS, because you can have the sensation to FLY, because the underwater world is FUN and EXCITING, because you can meet only SIMPATHIC people, because I'm your best scuba FRIEND instructor!!! :-)

Equipment: VentaDiving use MARES Equipments, the worldest famous for safety: our masks, fins, wetsuits are the best for your FUN and ALL INCLUSIVE in all our PADI scuba courses!!!
    Also, I'm a MARES Equipment Instructor!!!
    ( go to www.mares.com !!! )
    The tanks are filled with Bauer compressor: safety of FRESH air always !!!
    You just add your ADVENTURE and HAPPINESS to dive with the best for Scuba!!!
    Come on my friend, jump with me into the RED SEA!!!
    Visit me since 15th of june to 15th of december 2003!!

• Women's Travel
    • Spa and Resort

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

The local young men love sports

by fairy_dust Written Jan 28, 2004

Many Dominican men love sports, especially baseball and basketball. The basketball court in the town I was in during the family stay was always filled with guys. I went there to look for someone in the group who was there, and I was the only girl there (except the girl I was looking for). I think that in general, sports are considered a guys-only thing in the DR.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

The National Sport

by Firestar24 Updated Jan 14, 2006

I don't know anything about baseball at all, but it seems to be the sport this country loves and so, when passing the Red Sox training academy I obediently angled and flashed my camera (in my novice style) and captured most of the building and part of a lady's cap.

We're told Sammy Sosa is a Dominican-born shoe-shine boy who went on to find fame & fortune through his baseball talents.

• ScubaVirgilio's Profile Photo

" Play soccer with me in the desert!!! "

by ScubaVirgilio Updated Jun 2, 2003

Obviously, I put this picture with my lovely MILAN shirt, because I like to tease my Juventus " friends "......MILAN WONS THE 6th EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP!!!....we are the champions my friends.....ah! ah! ah! :-)
    Also, my father ( to the right of the picture ) is a Juventus supporter....what a party I did in front of him when my Milan wons!!! ah! ah! ah!

Anyway....Venta Club "Marsa Alam" can offer you: beach volley, tennis, aerobic, acquagym, stretching, ride with horses, 4 wheels motorcycle in the desert...WOW!!!

But if you'll want to play soccer with me in the desert, don't forget your suntan oil!!! :-)

Equipment: " Friends, bring your fun, happiness and laughters!!! "

• Spa and Resort
    • Women's Travel

• SydneyBoundBabe's Profile Photo

Kite Surfing and Wind Surfing in Cabarete

by SydneyBoundBabe Updated Sep 1, 2008

Kite surfing harnesses the powers of wind and water by combining a small board with a large, buoyant sail to tow the surfer and allow for great tricks and great air. Beginners should allow at least 3-7 days and a few hundred dollars to learn how to kite surf. Cabarete is the global capital for kite surfing, hosting championships and attracting the world's best every year.

Wind surfing, in which a sail is attached to a special surfboard, is another great water sport to try out in Cabarete. It requires a bit more strength and balance than kite surfing but keeps anyone afraid of heights a bit more grounded. Expect about the same cost as learning to kite surf but a few more days to learn.

Equipment: There are many outfits along the beaches in Cabarete to explore and choose from for kite surfing and wind surfing. Many offer traditional surfing and sea kayak rentals as well. When learning extreme water sports, I recommend well-fitting swim suits or one-pieces (for the ladies) so that you don't have to choose between chasing your suit and holding on to your sail! Wetsuits are a great idea if you own one or venture to the beach in the colder seasons.

• Beaches
    • Surfing

• Canada_Guy's Profile Photo

Fishing for Marlin !!!

by Canada_Guy Written Oct 17, 2004

4 hrs out fishing for Marlin // 80.00 US Priceless ... We caught 3 Marlins on our trip out and crew was just as exited as we were and helpfull

Equipment: Everything is Supplied // 80.00 for 4 hrs out !!!

• Fishing

• FoxTango's Profile Photo

Shooting with the arc

by FoxTango Written Oct 21, 2004

We could make full with plays individually, like the shooting with the arc, shooting with the rifle, table tennis, billiards...
    Or collective plays like football, volley ball, plays...

Dominican Republic Hotels

18 Reviews - 47 Photos
Los Minas Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Dominican Republic

Comments

Dominican Republic Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Dominican Republic sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dominican Republic sightseeing.
Map of Dominican Republic