Safety Tips in Dominican Republic

A seller on Playa Dorada beach
    A seller on Playa Dorada beach

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Dominican Republic

• melosh's Profile Photo

Beware of high asking prices

by melosh Written Jul 5, 2006

Throughout the Dominican Republic I was surprised by the high initial street and market asking prices. In some countries you would be justified in feeling that a 20 percent discount from an initial asking price would be reasonable. In other countries, like Mexico, you would fairly often need to get to about 50 percent, but in the DR, especially for paintings, you will have to aim for 70 percent.

Of course, the correct price can never be found on the basis of a percentage of the asking price. You should shop around and see what the cheaper stores want to charge. Then finding the same quality item of the street you should expect to save at least 10-20 percent after extensive bargaining.

asking price can be very high - buy price low

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

Beware the Tarantula

by ScubaCat Written Feb 26, 2006

I never realized that the Dominican Republic had tarantula's in their country. I'm scared of spiders & this one is huge! You won't find them in the resorts nor on the beach's, so you can breath easy there. The tarantula's are in the country & jungles of the Dominican. We went on the jungle tour & was clipping along the countryside & made our 1st stop at a village of dominican's. Our guide did not tell us until we were standing under the trees to watch for these big huge spiders, as they live in the trees as well as on the ground. His next word of warning was, if 1 of us received a hairy visitor on us, not to panic but to stand as still as possible & calmly tell him we had a spider on us so that he could remove the tarantula before it bit us. Oh great, NOW he tells us! I watched like a hawk to make sure no spiders were anywhere around me for the rest of the tour ! Our next stop was the waterfalls....safe there, at least I didn't see any of the big hairy spiders so common to the Dominican. Our next stop was a roadside liquor store where we could buy liquor at 1/2 price, stretch our legs & go to the bathroom. Oh My God! As soon as I stepped from the jeep I saw those huge black hairy things all over the parking lot! Thank god they were squished & dead. Of course I had to go to the bathroom. On the way there I didn't see any live one's, or I might not have gone. Once inside the bathroom I did my duty & began to pull up my shorts. Why I decided to look up at that moment I'll never know, but I wished I hadn't as I couldn't pull up my shorts fast enough to get out of there. Up above me, crawling across the beams were 5 -10 tarantulas. I thought I was going to lose it! Once safely out of the stall I started to take a deep breath of relief when I saw more of those huge tarantulas crawling up the side of the liquor store that I didn't notice before. I ran to the jeep & did not get out again till our next stop. I have to admit that although our group was surrounded by these spiders, no one in our group got bit.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel
    • Safari

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Drink Plenty of Water

by Hermanater Written Jan 12, 2006

The majority of people today, do not drink enough water. While you may be having a few cocktails around the pool, the alcohol does not replace water for total water consumption. All the resorts have purified water to drink. Bring along a water bottle and fill it before any excursions you take. We did not get sick from drinking the water. It would be too bad if your vacation was ruined because your got sick from being dehydrated????.

If you don?t believe my look what can happen?.you act delirious like my daughter in the picture?.

Effects of dehydration

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Too Much Sun

by Hermanater Written Jan 12, 2006

As nice as it is to make friends envious with a winter tan, remember, your skin is not use to it. Wear sun screen. It is not worth it to have a few miserable days because you fell asleep in the sun.....

• Water Sports
    • Beaches

• kbl's Profile Photo

Driving a car at night is soo dangerous

by kbl Written Oct 23, 2005

The roads in the Dominican Republic are in very bad shape. There is no inspection to the cars either. Almost nowhere outside the touristic areas, there are lights next to the roads. So you will find yourself on a really dark road at night, where other cars with and without lights are driving, where dogs, donkeys, cows and other people are walking, etc...
    This is why most cars in the DR have these "bull bars" on the car or truck...

• quartinb's Profile Photo

small warning

by quartinb Updated Oct 1, 2005

inside a all inclusive resort there are no warnings
    if yu have the oportunity to go out just take the everage messures to face any danger as yu do in every part of the world. arrassment is the biggest problem with dominican people, but ignoring is the best way to avoid it.and when on a tour with guides they provide that locals don´t aproach tourists and ask for a small coin.

Mosquitoes

by micas_pt Updated Sep 5, 2005

Pretty annoying! Sometimes you don't notice them and then ... bingo! You just notice the bite and the hitch. I was told that mosquitoes "appear" near the sunset time and by the water. I wasn't particularly affect by them, but some people complained a lot. Just in case, pack a repellent.

Resort

Strong sun

by micas_pt Updated Sep 5, 2005

The sun is very strong so you must be very careful with sunburns and dehydration. Be sure to always apply a good sunscreen and drink plenty of liquids during exposure to sun (not alcohol though!) ;-)

Even on cloudy days there are a lot of sunburns. If traveling around don't forget that the sun has the same affects as when you're lying on the beach or by the pool.

Sailing or snorkeling exposes you to very strong sun, so better be even more careful.

Beach and boat

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

The traffic rules (or lack of ...)

by micas_pt Updated Sep 5, 2005

Before traveling, I read in many guides that Dominicans drive without a license and that we weren't advised to rent a car and go on our own. That's true!!! There are almost no traffic signs and nobody respects the few existing ones! Drivers just horn on crossroads and expect you to get out of their way. So, even if you find a pedestrian crossing be very careful. And if you hear someone horning you'd better stay out of their way quickly!

Higuey

Coral and Shells

by micas_pt Updated Sep 5, 2005

With the purpose of protecting local fauna and flora there are some restrictions concerning coral reef and some kinds of shells. So don't be tempted to grab some little bit and take home, since it can be nasty for you if they find out about it on the airport. I was also told to be aware of some vendors who might try to sell you this kind of products. Actually I can’t remember exactly what is forbidden or allowed, so you'd better ask for some information in your hotel before diving.

Under water

The water

by micas_pt Updated Sep 5, 2005

Everyone traveling from Europe or North America is advised NOT to drink water, unless it's bottled. Even though in some places they might say the water is properly treated for drinking I was told that its mineral composition is different from ours and this may cause diarrhea and other stomach disturbs as well. So, you'd better stick to bottled water, just in case, ... I was even advised about the quality of ice - they say that if it is "manufactured" from tap water it will have the same effect as if you drink that water, ... I guess I was lucky and got no diseases at all even though I drank a lot of drinks with ice.

Restaurant at the resort

• trek06's Profile Photo

Safari Tours

by trek06 Written Jul 18, 2005

One thing that quickly becomes apparent is that in the countryside their is a very young population. There are kids everywhere. The children have been accustomed to recieving candy from foriegners driving by. So the children run after tour trucks in the hopes of getting something. DO NOT THROW CANDY FROM THE VEHICLE as this is dangerous for the children. Have your tour guide stop and hand it out so that kids don't have to pick it off the gound in the middle of the road.

Villiage
    • Spa and Resort

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Pesky vendors

by fairy_dust Updated May 10, 2005

Sometimes, vendors on the street or at the beach can get annoying. Even if you say you don't want to buy anything, they won't stop bugging you to buy something. If you don't want to buy something, don't even look at them. Turn around and walk away. If they see you looking at them, they'll come right over to you and try to sell you something. Only show interest in their wares if you actually want to buy something from them.

Also, some "vendors" will offer services, such as shoe-shining. One guy in my group was wearing leather boots, and a shoe-shine man came right up to him and tried to bug the guy to shine his boots. Also, often at the beach, women will offer to braid your hair into funky hairstyles. Again, just ignore them and/or firmly say "no!" if they bug you.

If you do want to buy something from them, don't just accept the price they give you. They expect you to haggle the price and you can often buy for a lot cheaper if you do that.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• sbb11578's Profile Photo

Expensive Phone Calls

by sbb11578 Written Mar 10, 2005

We had some issues with our plane tickets so we had to call the States. 30 minutes of phone calls amounted to about a $50 US charge on our bill. No other options existed on the resort, so my only advice is if you must call out of the country, talk very fast.

• sbb11578's Profile Photo

Airport Luggage

by sbb11578 Written Mar 10, 2005

We had an alarm clock, hairdryer, and our disposable camera taken out of our bags from their security personnel. Of course, we didn't know this until we got home. Those aren't big losses, but the lost camera was the biggest disappointment since it had our last 2 days of film.

Dominican Republic Hotels

22 Reviews - 39 Photos
Higüey Hotels
1 Review - 1 Photo

Instant Answers: Dominican Republic

Comments

Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Dominican Republic warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dominican Republic sightseeing.
Map of Dominican Republic