Juayùa Transportation

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

From Juayúa to Santa Ana

by MalenaN Written Sep 25, 2009

Flowers in Juay��a

In Juayúa the buses for Santa Ana leaves in the corner of Calle Mercedes Pte and 5a Av Sur, just one block down from Hotel Anáhuac. I took the 9 o’clock bus, the next one doesn’t leave until 12 o’clock. The 9 o’clock bus left almost 20 minutes late, it took one hour to Santa Ana and it was 0.80 dollars (June 2009).

When we came out on the highway the driver drove very fast. After a curve there was construction work on the road and a stop in traffic on our side. The driver didn’t have time to break but turned the bus over to the opposite drive way. Luckily the meeting cars could break and go to the side in time. Well, on most of the bus journeys I took in El Salvador the driver was driving slower and more safer than this one.

In Santa Ana the bus stopped in the corner of 17 Calle Pte and Avenida Fray Felipe. I would have been closer for me to walk to Casa Frolaz if I had left the bus at Calle 25, but it was still walking distance.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Juayúa from Tacuba

by MalenaN Written Sep 21, 2009

4a Calle Pte and Hotel Mirador

The buses between Tacuba and Ahuachapán leave quite frequently. They leave from the main street, a few blocks up from the main plaza. When I was leaving a bus was standing there and I didn’t have to wait long before it left. To Ahuchapán it took about 40 minutes and it was 0.60 dollars (June 2009). The bus drove through Ahuchapán and then dropped the last passengers between the market and the Sonsonate highway turnoff. I crossed the roads and waited by the side of the road for the first bus to Juayúa. Other people were waiting there as well and we didn’t have to wait long for the bus. For Juayúa it took less than an hour and the price was 0.75 dollars.
    When I earlier, during the week, had passed Juayúa the bus had stopped at Parque Central, but as I now arrived during the weekend and the area around the park was full of food stalls the bus stopped three blocks west of the park (opposite the bank).

Bus Service

by gdilieto Written Mar 2, 2008

Bus Servicing the Ruta de las Flores

To get to/from Juayua, the alternative to private car and taxis is the bus. Bus line to Juayua is the one which serves the Ruta de las Flores and that goes from/to Ahuachapan to/from Sonsonate stopping in the villages on the way. If coming from San Salvador you shall get to Sonsonate first and then take the bus to Ruta de las Flores.

Buses operate with high-frequency during the day hours two to four times per hour. Price is few cents of US dollar per ride. There is no night service and if you end up staying in Juayua after 7:00 pm most likely you shall overnight.

I did not take the bus and I cannot say whether it is a comfortable ride. I suspect it is not (see photo attached, the service is operated with dismissed US school bus equipment), though I am sure it is an interesting experience.

There is also a minibus service (see other photo attached) which make the same trips in about the same time at about the same rates.

Guideline for Taxi Fares

by gdilieto Updated Mar 1, 2008

Taxi Stand in San Salvador

Tourists will likely get to Juayua by bus, taxi or private car. Taxi is a reasonable choice if you have made your base in San Salvador and plan to visit Ruta de las Flores (and Juayua) in day trip and stay only few hours. At time of my visit in May 2007 there were no taxi-stands in Juayua and you needed to have your taxi driver wait for you. I hired a taxi in San Salvador and agreed on a US$10/hour fare, though I suspect I might have negotiated harder.

Getting Around

by gdilieto Updated Feb 29, 2008

Juayua is a small village with a compact center and you are not going to need any other means to get around but the soles of your shoes. For visiting nearby sights, you will find moto-taxis (and also horse-pulled carts if you wish) for hire in the main square.

Instant Answers: Juayùa

Comments

Juayùa Transportation

Reviews and photos of Juayùa transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Juayùa sightseeing.