Local traditions and culture in Grenada

Most Viewed Local Customs in Grenada

PATRIOTISM

by DAO Updated Apr 11, 2008

All across Grenada you will see the Pan-African colours of Red, Gold and Green. These are also the colours of their flag. Grenadans are rightly proud of their beautiful island, peaceful democracy and African heritage. You will see streets, pavements (sidewalks), houses, telephone poles, shops, walls and even rubbish containers brightly painted in the national colours. Long live Granada!

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Just relax and do what you need to do tomorrow

by Henrik_rrb Written Feb 5, 2007

The most important thing to think about when you go to the Caribbean islands it to switch from "stressful european style" to the laidback "don't do anything today that you can do tomorrow - or next week"-style. You WILL go crazy otherwise, as the tempo at all islands we visited (except for Barbados which was crazy...) is very slow and calm.

So walk slowly, don't stress when for food when you get into a restaurant, don't expect to get service from the first minute in the shops.

But just enjoy it! If you're european, like me, you could definitely need some time off from that terrible tempo we use over here.

Stay away from the ganja though, we don't want you to go too relaxed, do we? :)

THE COAT OF ARMS

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Coat of Arms of Grenada is a load of colour and variety, much like the island it represents. In the centre is a shield, which is divided into four parts by a golden cross. In the centre of this cross is Christopher Columbus' ship the Santa Maria. In the upper left and lower right are the golden British lion on a red background and golden crescent moons in which a lily grows. On the shield there is a golden crown with several branches of Bougainville bushes. Within the garland are the seven red roses representing the seven communities of Grenada. Holding all this up are an armadillo in front of a corn stalk and on the other side is a pigeon in front of a banana plant. In the background are a grassland scene with a lake and at the bottom is a ribbon with the motto: "Ever conscious of God we aspire, build and advance as one people."

Complicated.

• Spa and Resort

DEMOCRACY

by DAO Updated May 9, 2008

Since the restoration of Democracy in 1983, Granada has a thriving democratic political process dominated by 2 main parties: New National Party (NNP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) . There are smaller parties, but they have only small support. There is a Parliament with two chambers. The House of Representatives has 15 members, elected for a five year term in single-seat constituencies. The Senate has 13 appointed members. The head of state is the Prime Minister.

• Study Abroad

• bianchis's Profile Photo

steel band

by bianchis Updated Feb 8, 2003

Local steel band music is a must in your agenda.
    Comes from Trinidad and Tobago. It was developed, at least in part, because white colonizers of the 1930s and 1940s outlawed the use of more traditional wood and animal skin drums by black laborers. U.S. Armed Forces surplus supplied the raw material, and the ubiquitous 55-gallon oil drum became the substitute for traditional drums. Through an evolution of form, the steel drum became a percussion instrument capable of providing not only rhythm, but melody as well.

• DreamingSpain's Profile Photo

Understanding the beach boys' enthusiasm

by DreamingSpain Written Apr 9, 2010

I learned some important facts about the boys who work on Grand Anse Beach. I didn't understand at first and got upset. During my three week stay, I came to understand and love the boys and the work they do.

I think that what I have to say largely is due to the fact that I was a woman travelling alone!

So ... Don't be surprised if you get hissed at, clapped at, whistled at or have your physique commented on. They do NOT mean to be rude, hurtful, insulting or threatening!

Local men culturally do this to all women, not just tourists. It is their way of trying to strike up a conversation.

I learned during my three weeks that I had choices : I could ignore them, or I could engage with them. Several times I said "I don't find that a great approach - I'd love to talk to you, but I feel a bit like an object when you whistle or hiss at me and I don't know if I should be scared or not" ...

They were just amazing. They had never seen my perspective at all, and from that very moment on were completely delightful, funny, good company and respectful.

They also told me that something we strangers have to bear in mind is that not so long ago, women just like me would go there to pick up a young local. Yes really. Many young men have travelled the world due to being taken off the island by rich single lonely foreigners ....

So be lovely to them, as they are lovely people. And definitely spend your money with them as they really do deserve it.

• Beaches
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• AnitaJRT's Profile Photo

This was the only country to...

by AnitaJRT Written Aug 26, 2002

This was the only country to which we have traveled that is SO pro-American. We passed one dilapidated barn with the words, 'God Bless the USA and the 82nd Airborne' written on the side in huge letters. I am so used to NOT being quite so welcomed.

• Ash59's Profile Photo

Grenada

by Ash59 Updated Feb 23, 2003

The island is essential British in origin, even though it swopped hands between the British and French no more than 14 times! The people speak excellant English and are extremely friendly.

You may get approached while in St Georges by someone who will start to talk to you about the town and Granada. They are trying to get you to allow them to show you around the town, expecting something for their trouble at the end of it. The other tourists that took them up on their offer enjoyed the experience but I can not comment as we did not take any of the offers up. Generally, I found that if we did not want to buy something from a hawker, a 'no, thankyou' was sufficient for them to leave you alone with good grace. Some people where just happy to stand there and talk to you, even if you did not want to buy anything so please don't be rude about it.

WHAT TIME IS IT?

by DAO Updated Apr 12, 2008

The time in Grenada is UTC/GMT -4 hours. UTC is Coordinated Universal Time, GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. I would not trust any of the Church clocks as they are all unfortunately broken.

• jel118981's Profile Photo

People of Grenade

by jel118981 Written Mar 30, 2008

I found some interesting people here in Grenade, of course Eze, our taxi driver who discover the magic island for us.
    People from Grenada are very friendly and with a big sense of humour!!!!!!!

Grenada Hotels

23 Reviews - 91 Photos
Belle Isle Hotels
2 Hotels

Instant Answers: Grenada

Comments

Grenada Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Grenada local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grenada sightseeing.
Map of Grenada