Safety Tips in Grenada

along beaches.
    Manchineel leaves
    by bianchis
  • Manchineel fruit looks like a small green apple
    Manchineel fruit looks like a small...

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Grenada

• bianchis's Profile Photo

ATMs problem in Grenada December 2013

by bianchis Written Dec 12, 2013

Arrived in Grenada 4th December 2013. Both my husband's and my debit cards did not work although February 2013 the same cards worked on all the ATMs in Grenada and Carriacou.
    We contacted our bank back home and they confirmed that our debit cards were valid.

We could not understand what had happened in the meantime. Either the first ATM machine in the Mall opposite Grand Anse beach or going through security @ different airports must have destroyed the magnetic stripe on our debit cards and rendered them incapable of use .

Also our banks back home use the chip on the cards for identification etc, whereas the ATMs in Grenada use the magnetic stripes.

Lucky for us as seasoned travelers we carry a fair amount of cash on us so we can survive until our new debit cards arrive. In Carriacou there are limited places where you can use a credit card so this is not an alternative either. Getting money out of an ATM is quite expensive costing 3,5%.
    Wish us luck when our new cards arrive we are here 3 months and do need these to work.

• DAO's Profile Photo

DIAL 911

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hopefully you will never need to contact the Royal Grenada Police Force, Fire Brigade or an ambulance. If you do have an emergency – dial 9 – 1 – 1 from any telephone!

OTHER PHONE NUMBERS:

CARRIACOU 774

• Singles

• Driving at night

by mark719802 Updated Jul 10, 2008

If you have hired a car, watch out for locals driving at night. Lights at full beam all the time, and drive in the middle of the road seems to be the preferred method. And away from St. George there are no road signs, so you get lost a lot the 1st few days.

• DAO's Profile Photo

DON'T BLOW UP YOUR COMPUTER !

by DAO Updated May 17, 2008

Grenada’s electricity is DOUBLE the voltage of the USA & Canada. It is 220 volts at 50 cycles, and British style three-prong plugs are used. If you want to plug in valuable electronics like a computer I would suggest a very good adapter, not a cheap one. Alternatively leave it at home and enjoy your holiday more.

• Business Travel

• iwys's Profile Photo

Hurricanes!

by iwys Updated May 30, 2007

Grenada is at the outer edge of the hurricane belt and is rarely affected by them, but about once every fifty years, it gets hit by a really bad one.

In September, 2004, Hurricane Ivan, one of the worst ever, scored a direct hit on the tiny island of Grenada, leaviing 34 people dead and devastating much of the island.

Hopefully, it will be at least another fifty years before the next one strikes.

• Luxury Travel

• Caribbean_Gyrl's Profile Photo

A Safe Place - WATCH THE ROADS!

by Caribbean_Gyrl Updated Mar 12, 2007

Grenada in my experience is a very safe place. It is a very dense and mountainous island with lots of hills. My only warning is the driving conditions since the roads are very narrow and curvy whilst driving up the hills we came across some reckless drivers speeding around bends ''were thinking what the hell?lol'' apart from that no problems....just the usually precautions watch your pockets, hangbags in busy areas, the street lights at night are limited and dim so i wouldn't recommend venturing out of Grand Anse or to far at night.

• jacksimpson's Profile Photo

different driving

by jacksimpson Written Nov 27, 2006

While on our car tour of the island, be wary of the method cars use to go around bends or curves in the road. The local drivers do not slow down much when rounding the bend of a blind curve, they just honk their horn. Also remember that Grenada was once an English possesion and that they drive on the left side of the road!

• LisaMJ's Profile Photo

Mind the sea lice/thimble jelly fish larvae!

by LisaMJ Updated Jun 6, 2005

We went in March, and enjoyed a day trip snorkelling around a few sheltered bays on a catamaran trip.

Anyway, a snrokelling we were, until suddenly in quick succession, I was stung on the arms and legs. I looked in the water and saw nothing. My husband, who was directly behind and didn't get stung by anything the lucky soenso, also looked and saw nothing. I quickly swam back to the boat, getting stung a few more times on the way.

We weren't to close to the bottom, and hadn't touched any fire coral, there were no jellyfish in sight.

There were three of four stings about 3mm round, in little groups on parts of my arms and legs......... They were in a trail so it was almost like my arm or leg had passed through a group of whatever stung me.

Having sensitive skin, they turned a bit red, itchy and uncomfortable for a couple fo weeks. After speaking to the watersport guys at the hotel, it was summised that it was 90% likely to have been 'sea lice', or 'thimble jellyfish larvae' which have a tiny brown speck in the middle and is the size of a pin head!

Just be warned that between March and July you can get stung in the Caribbean. I was stung in Grenada in March, but previous years in Antigua and St Lucia, both times in June, I had never been stung.

Normally you get stung where you bikini or bathing suit covers your body, and the larvae get trapped, but I was stung all over.

You can buy a lotion which is supposed to protect called Safesea , from www.ifsogo.com

• TuanRonski's Profile Photo

Grenada Roads Are Terrible

by TuanRonski Written Jan 30, 2005

I had heard that the Grenada roads were hilly and curvey, and I've driven on backroads in several countries, but I was not prepared for how bad the driving is on Grenada. No one should attempt to drive from the airport to distant resorts at night. The roads are bordered by 2' to 3' dropoffs, or bordered by concrete walls or 10" high concrete curbs- you have no where to escape. The roads are pockmarked with chug holes, and I didn't see more than a couple of road signs anywhere I went. Many people just park their cars on their side of the road, so drivers are constantly negotiating around parked cars in addition to traffic and chug holes, and cave-ins from Ivan.
    But get this- Grenada probably has more speed bumps than anywhere I have been in the Caribbean- I don't understand why, when there are very few straightaways where you can speed up.

• TuanRonski's Profile Photo

Beware the Manchineel Tree

by TuanRonski Written Jan 29, 2005

The Manchineel tree (Hippomane mancinella- from Euphorbia Family -Euphorbiaceae) is one of the dangers which can ruin a vacation for those unaware of its poison. It grows along beaches, and lures people (and animals) by offering them shade and small yellow apple-like fruits. The tree can grow to 30’ high (or more), with gray/brownish bark and shiny leaves that have a round base, with a pointed tip, and may have jagged edges. Every part of the tree is poisonous, and the sap can cause blindness and severe burns or painful blisters, and the fruit can cause death if eaten.
    An effort to mark the trees with red paint to identify them has been undertaken by many Caribbean countries, but you should still be on the lookout for this danger.
    I've got an area of blistering on my hand about 1" x 2" to remind me to be more careful next time!

• Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

Mosquitos!

by Rachael71 Updated Jun 10, 2004

Mosquitos don't usually trouble me and on the rare occasion I am bitten, it's not a problem. However, the mozzies in Grenada made a real meal of me, and I reacted very badly - more than 40 in the first couple of days, many of which led to large, ugly hives on my skin.

If you are sensitive, make sure you take a good repellent (unusually, Autan didn't work), and pack some anti-histamines just in case. The hotel provided us with a local herb-based repellent, but the only thing that it repelled was my boyfriend, lol. Spraying the room with 'Bop' just before we went out in the evening helped a lot, unfortunately we didn't discover this until after I'd suffered a lot of bites.

We stayed in Lance aux Epines, and I gather that area is particularly bad for them. I would consider taking a mosquito net with me to sleep under if I went again.

• Luxury Travel

• hattifnatten's Profile Photo

try to avoid checking in luggage on Jamaica Air

by hattifnatten Written Apr 18, 2003

delayed luggage on Jamaica Air ( I flew direct from NYC) is apparently routine, the locals know and almost expect it.
    If you must check your luggage in, don't put anything valuable or something you can't be without in there, and don't lock it ( then the airline will be able to deliver it to you after passing customs inspection).

• JeanCooke's Profile Photo

Bonus is view of islands from...

by JeanCooke Written Aug 25, 2002

Bonus is view of islands from the air. This is St. Vincent.

LIAT, the 'Caribbean Airline' can arrive early and take off early, so check in at least 1 hour early and proceed to the gate. Carry all valuable with you; don't check them in luggage.

Grenada Hotels

23 Reviews - 91 Photos
Belle Isle Hotels
2 Hotels

Instant Answers: Grenada

Comments

Grenada Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Grenada warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grenada sightseeing.
Map of Grenada