Marigot Travel Guide

spice market in Marigot
    by Jawnuta
  • Things to Do
    by henri123
  • Photo from in the pool with underwater digital cam
    Photo from in the pool with underwater...
    by grandmaR

Marigot Things to Do

by Waalewiener Updated Apr 25, 2005

This to me looks like Kite -Surfing I do not have info on this , I am not sure if this was a rented kite or somebody owned it , that would be my guess.

Yeeahh that looks like fun

Marigot Hotels

• Mercure Simson Beach Saint-Martin

Our stay: January 6 - 13 , 2007. It turned out to be miserable. 1. DIRTY: Not only did the room...

• Le Centr'Hotel

7 Rue Republique, Marigot, 97150, Caribbean

Satisfaction: Terrible

Good for: Business

• Le Royale Louisiana

Rue du General-de-Gaulle, Box 476, Marigot, St. Maarten/St. Martin, 97055, Caribbean

• Sunseas Vacation Villas

10 Rue Du General De Gaulle, Marigot Saint Martin, Marigot, 97150, Caribbean

Marigot Restaurants

by grandmaR Written Dec 3, 2005

I took these pictures, but did not partake of the coconuts which I might have done had I had more time.

Backstage at the Coconut Juice House
    • Beer Tasting

by Waalewiener Updated Nov 29, 2002

This is a general tip , a map of restaurants on
    Orient Beach.
    We did not go to any restaurants.
    Time was too short and the Beach and water were too nice.

Map Restaurants Orient Beach

• Marigot Hotels

7 Hotels in Marigot

Marigot Transportation

by grandmaR Written Dec 3, 2005

We had a regular big bus for our tour, and did not take a taxi or bus. However, it looks as if the taxis and buses are similar to many other Caribbean islands.

The government regulates taxi rates. Fixed fares apply from normal destinations like the Juliana International Airport and the Marigot ferry to the various hotels around the island. There's a taxi service at the Marigot port near the tourist information bureau.

An additional 25% is added to the base fare from 9 pm (2100) until midnight; 50% is added to the base fare from midnight to 6:00 in the morning. There are no meters, so inquire about the fare in advance.

The island has approximately 200 privately owned licensed buses; many are eight-seat Toyota vans. At a flat rate of $1 to $1.50 (as high as $2 after 8 PM), payable when you get out, buses are the island's best bargains.

They operate casually but frequently between 6 AM and midnight They leave every hour from Grand Case and travel to Marigot, Cole Bay, Simson Bay, Mullet Bay and other major towns on the island. There are also Marigot-Philipsburg, Orleans-Philipsburg, and French Quarter-Philipsburg connections. Buses connect towns but don?t generally serve the island?s beaches.

There are only a few official stops: just stand beside the road and flag down the vehicle (the license plate says "BUS").

Taxi and information stand in Marigot Small bus Bus on a hill in St. Martin

Marigot Shopping

by Waalewiener Updated Nov 28, 2002

The market is located near the harbour of Marigot.
    It is a very colourful area and eveywhere you look around there is beauty, an old fort on top of a big hill with the French Blue White & Red Flag looking out into a Bay with many boats anchored.A large seawall with large rocks adds to the beauty of the area .
    A plaza in the centre with a large blue & white Pavillon, Just a beautiful market place.

What to buy: This market has a variety of clothes and footwear. Beachwear T-***s Souvenirs Towels etc.

What to pay: Don't pay anymore than what you think it is worth, they will start out with a high price but you can deal with the vendors.

Just a small section of the market.

Marigot Off The Beaten Path

by grandmaR Written Jan 25, 2010

I had one goal today and that was to get back to the lighthouse that I saw on the first visit.

When I got to the end of the pier I went to look at taxi tour rates as Bob was absolutely against renting a car. Had I done a rental on the internet it would have been at least $45 for the day. It looked like a tour out to Marigot would be $18 each if there were two people and quite a bit less if there were three or four. I asked the man who was selling the tours about seeing the lighthouse, and he denied that there was any such thing. He said there were no lighthouses on the island.

If I had looked on the Lighthouse Directory page, I would have seen that there were two lighthouses - one on a fort on the Dutch side and the one I had seen on the French side. But I hadn't done that. So we went out to the taxi rank and I asked about going to Marigot and Grand
    Case because the lighthouse I had seen was between them. They put us in a cab with two other people who were going to Marigot. As before the traffic in Phillipsburg was terrible. The cab driver had the sniffles which made me want to tell him to blow his nose, but I
    didn't.

Eventually we got to Marigot on the French side, and the other couple got out, as soon as we rounded the corner on the way to Grand Case, there was the lighthouse, which the cab driver confirmed was indeed a lighthouse. Triumphantly, I got out and took a few pictures and then we drove back to the ship. He charged us $50.00. I figured that was $18 each for the drive back to the ship and about $6 each for the ride out.

Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 4 s, white, green or red depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round conical tower painted white. No lantern. Roger Theriault has a photo, another closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located across the road from the base of the breakwater mole of the harbor of Marigot, the principal town of the French portion of the island of Saint-Martin, on the northwestern coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS STM-001; Admiralty J5658; NGA 14732.

• Architecture

Marigot Favorites

by Waalewiener Written Nov 28, 2002

Favorite thing: There is no question about it the market in Marigot was nice,the shopping areas were nice the restaurants were nice but when Willem our Taxi driver drove us to Orient beach, that did it for me, what a beach, they say sometimes life is a beach,and it is.
    We saw it all the yacht far away ,the Para-sailers, the jet ski's the sail boats , an enormous trampoline in the water , a para-surfer (somebody please correct me if that is wriong) a dog drinking salt water, and then licking its lips after. It was Paradise.

Fondest memory: Of course it is Orient Beach that I missed the most ,Lori says she agrees with me as much as she likes shopping ,the Beach was her favorite also.
    I forgot to mention that Orient Beach has two areas seperated buy a pile of rocks
    You pass those rocks there will be a sign that says Nude Beach or Place Naturist.
    That shows that Orient Beach has it all.

Just one pic of a great Beach

Instant Answers: Marigot

Comments

Marigot Travel Guide
Map of Marigot