Guatemala City Restaurants

The Pork Chop. It's a bite of heaven.
    by daydayxvi
    A wonderfully light apple crumble.
    by daydayxvi
    The spicy chicken chipotle.

Best Rated Restaurants in Guatemala City

Hotel Posada Belen: Meals Served on Demand

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 20, 2008

Dining Room at Hotel Pasada Belen

Hotel Posada Belen has a dining room and the staff at the hotel will cook and serve your meals upon request - whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. On the evening I stayed at the hotel I chose to eat dinner at a nearby restaurant, partly because I wanted to experience more of the city and also because I thought the price at the hotel was a little steep at $13 US for either lunch or dinner. However, the only other people staying at the hotel on that night, a couple from Colorado, did order a late dinner and I had a soft drink and visited with them while they ate.

The next morning I ordered breakfast from the hotel. The same man who had checked me in the evening before took my order and cooked and served my breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, refried beans, fried plantains, cheeze and orange juice. It was a good way to start the day.

The dining room is a pleasant spot, with many museum type artifacts along the walls and windows opening into a breezy courtyard.

Subway: Quick Lunch near the Bus Station

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 22, 2008

This Subway Restaurant is located a few doors down from the Tika Bus Station and was a welcome place to grab a quick lunch while I waited for the bus.

My Bus from Guatemala City to San Salvador was scheduled to depart at 1:00 p.m., but I arrived at the station at 11:30 a.m. to be sure I got a seat since I did not have a reservation. This was the only restaurant I saw in close proximity to the station. The menu and service was essentially the same as that which one would find in a Subway in the United States. The prices were slightly lower.

Subway has more than 29,000 restaurants in 86 countries of the world.

Los Cebollines: Authentic Mexican Food

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 19, 2008

My Enchiladas at Los Cebollines

For dinner my first night in Guatemala City I chose Los Cebollines, simply because I passed it on the street nor far from the Main Square on Avedina 6. I learned that this restaurant is part of a small chain of Mexican eateries with 8 locations in Guatemala and a few others in Honduras and El Salvador.

The restaurant was clean and simply but tastefully decorated. The service was good, but a little show, as is usually the case in Central America.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the chicken enchilada platter and found my food to be well prepared and well presented. It was an enjoyable and satisfying meal.

San Martin: Good breakfast

by acemj Updated Feb 5, 2006

This place in Zone 10 was a great option for our last meal in Guatemala. We stopped in and had a nice breakfast here before heading to the airport.

Favorite Dish: I had a good cup of coffee, a glass of delicious fresh-squeezed Mandarin orange juice and a great croissant egg, mushroom and cheese sandwich. Yum.

Sushi Itto: Sushi!

by acemj Updated Feb 5, 2006

Our new friends Monica and Ana Lucia recommended that we go to Sushi Itto, which turned out to be a very good choice. The service and atmosphere were both great and the sushi was surprisingly good (hey, I just don't think of sushi when I think of Guate!).

We had a very large sampler platter which offered up all kinds of raw fish along with a couple drinks each and the bill came to 380 Q (just over $50 USD). Not bad for four people with drinks.

Tre Fratelli: Italiano

by acemj Updated Feb 5, 2006

This is a popular chain in Guatemala City. The food is mostly northern Italian with a good selection of Italian and California wines. On a nice day, the outdoor seating will be popular. We stopped here and had some good coffee and a light salad, but the menu was packed with really good sounding pasta dishes that I would have loved to try had I had the appetite.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

FRIDA'S: Mexico, Art and Good Food

by gordonilla Updated Jan 28, 2005

Mayan Imagery

The restaurant was themed with the work of Frida Kahlo, who was married to the Mexican fresco painter Diego Riviera. She took up painting during convalescence follwoing a horrific car accident.

The walls were covered in pictures, prints and other Frida memorabilia.

The food was excellent, and there was lively Mexican Music. The bar was well stocked, and we were all encouraged to drink Mexican beer and a rather interesting two tier tequila slammer. Our youngest and oldest members of the party indulged in the slammers.

Favorite Dish: During the visit I thoroughly enjoyed my tortilla soup with chicken followed by chicken fahitas (excuse my spelling), coffee and both a Mexican and Guatemalan beer.

• daydayxvi's Profile Photo

Edoya Sushi: Unpretencious Sushi

by daydayxvi Written Oct 15, 2007

Edoya is this great little sushi restaurant that is too easy to drive right past. Now, I'm not much of a sushi expert, but I grew up eating fish. Thus far, this has been my favorite. Wonderful atmosphere, excellent service and some damn fine sushi. It lacks the flashy gimmicks that you will find in most sushi places, edoya sushi gives you the opportunity to eat well and be comfortable. I loved the smoked salmon sushi as well as their very popular "dragon roll". The inclusion of fresh, crisp asparagus or eel sauce in some of their rolls make my mouth water as I remember.

Where you really feel the lack of things such as glass walkways, stone archways, snooty waiters and excessively...let's say creative....sinks is when you get the bill. Expecto to pay $10-15 per person if you order an appetizer.

So far my favorite place to get sushi.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite dish was the smoked salmon roll. But that is most likely due to my very specific and highly demanding taste buds (a.k.a. picky eater). I just love the taste of the smoked salmon with fresh crisp asparagus and lack of any kind of cheese which is included in oh so many rolls. Not withstanding, most everyone I talked to is crazy about the "Dragon Roll", and it's very understandable. A tempura roll with shrimp, salmon, asparagus, cottage cheese, sesame seeds and eel sauce is very tempting, especially when all the ingredients are as fresh as they are here.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

La Estancia: Good Steaks

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 25, 2011

This is a great steakhouse with a great location.....it{s next to the American Embassy in the trendy Zona 10 section of town. The portions of food were great and the prices were excellent by Central American standards.....

Favorite Dish: La Parillada....a plate combination o steak, susages, different cuts of beef.

• Business Travel

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

La Acienda de los Sanchez: WoW

by jlanza29 Written Jun 16, 2004

Considered the best steakhouse in Gutemala City, it's reputation is well earned. Large steaks with incredible flavor are the main atrraction here. Try the house specialty, and you won't be disappointed !!!!! The service is cordial and professional, and the prices are excellent for the American traveler, somewhat expensive for locals, but very much worth it !!!!! Spent $100 US for dinner for 6 with plenty of beers !!!!

Favorite Dish: Try the house specailty sirlion steak.......it melts in your mouth.....outstanding steaks

• Business Travel

La Crepe: Crepes gallore

by la_beba Updated Feb 22, 2005

Crepes, French and International. Specialties: Large variety of Crepes, both entree and dessert, Salads and Soups, Vegetarian and dietetic food, ice creams, Wines, Beer and a large variety of beverages.

Favorite Dish: Crepe with a touch of "national flavour"...... the "black bean and sour cream" crepe features one of the main dishes of Guatemalan's nutrition: black beans (as it also is corn = the mayans!)

La Cabaña Suiza: Some "Swiss" flavour

by la_beba Written Feb 22, 2005

At only 20 minutes away from Guatemala City, up in the mountains on the road to the Colonial City of Antigua Cabaña Suiza Complex is located at 5,900 feet high over sea level (1,900 mts.) and aside from a natural atmosphere known like a one of the best climates in the world; it’s a Swiss family-run descendent establishment.

It's a real Swiss Café in Guatemala that offers a Select variety of original Swiss pastry and Swiss gourmet, also options of healthy and natural food, and a piece of local specialties with the accent on the Swiss culinary style under high standard of quality.

Bologna Pizzeria: Best pizza in my whole life

by la_beba Updated Feb 22, 2005

There is a certain something, a very particular flavour that evoques a small restaurante in Italy... the toasted bottom of the dough on their pizzas... I don't know what it is! but it's the best pizza I've ever ever had!!!!!!!

• la_beba's Profile Photo

Kloster: Fondues and beer!!

by la_beba Updated Feb 22, 2005

La Zona Viva offers tons of different restaurants where to chose from, my very own favorite though would have to be 'Kloster Restaurant' (located at 13 calle 2-75, Zona 10, Guatemala City) They're open from 12:30 noon until midnight every day. They offer a delicious experience within a rustic and friendly atmosphere, this restaurant opened 21 years ago, and it has become the best of its kind. They specialize in 'fondues'.... and serve you beer by the yard or by the half a yard.... mmmmmm

Favorite Dish: Swiss Cuisine. Specialties: Steak Fondue with cheese and mushrooms, Shrimp Fondue, Cheese Fondue with wine, Marseillaise Fondue (cheese and shrimp), Chocolate Fondue, Carmel Crepe and Crepe Suzette.

Go for the yard beer served on a long glass held by some wooden artefact and served on the floor (because a yard is rather long, can't serve it on your table) :o)

• daydayxvi's Profile Photo

Restaurante Saúl: Good old new restaurant

by daydayxvi Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The Pork Chop. It's a bite of heaven.

Restaurante Saúl is an interesting new little restauran part of the Saúl E. Méndez chain. There is a fascinating mix of international cuisine. The food is wonderful and they have incorporated an interesting added value of asking you your name when you arrive and thereafter always address you by name.

Favorite Dish: So far my favorite dish is the Pork chop. I never knew that pork could be so flavorful and juicy. It is served with slices of apples and grapes with a delicious semi sweet sauce.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Guatemala City

Comments

Guatemala City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Guatemala City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guatemala City sightseeing.

View all Guatemala City hotels