Puerto Barrios Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Puerto Barrios

• watch the local youths gather...

by mirahdel Written Oct 5, 2002

Favorite thing: watch the local youths gather in the park on sunday evenings, guys playing basketball to impress girls sitting on benches watching- central america at its most intense! go to livingston in the old big boat, go to punta palma (especially if you manage to hit la semana santa) and watch the sun set over amatique bay!

Fondest memory: Discovering that che guevara spent quite a long time here before going to mexico.Sitting in los coquitos owned by a lovable mexican couple, surrounded by parrots and eating tortillas de harina con fajitas de pollo con chile verde! Or walking down the parque to the old colonial hotel del norte imagining what pto barrios looked like before united fruit company moved out. strolling around the market listening to music coming from every tiny stall and feel the ┬┤place thrive with life.

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: I have been to Puerto Barrios twice now, and it is a neat place. I think it was here that my father and I, and two other friends of ours, on a beautiful, blue evening, were invited to the house of a local doctor. Our friend, and missionary in Punta Gorda, Belize, Larry, had probably told this doctor we were coming, and the doc, who probably wanted to meet us anyway, invited us to his house for dinner. We had arrived in Puerto Barrios earlier that day, getting off the boat in the heat of the day, and walking to our hotel with all our bags. We had stayed at this particular hotel on a previous trip (see Travelogues) and I, personally really liked it. We left our room, heading for the doctor's house in someone's car. Maybe it was a taxi, I don't know. We got to his rather nice house, and went in. As we walked in, he or his wife said, 'Mi casa es su casa,' the first and only time I'd ever heard that outside of Spanish class. We sat down at the table and ate and ate and ate until I eventually had to leave the table, feeling rather sick from overeating. It was worth it, though, probably the best food I've had in Guatemala! After the evening of eating and talking was finished, we went back to our hotel as we had to get up early the next morning to head up the Rio Dulce.

Instant Answers: Puerto Barrios

Comments

Puerto Barrios Favorites

Reviews and photos of Puerto Barrios favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Barrios sightseeing.

View all Puerto Barrios hotels