Places to eat in Antigua Guatemala

Most Viewed Restaurants in Antigua Guatemala

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Cafe Condesa: Good food & a good story

by JessieLang Written May 31, 2010

The Café Condesa is in part of a building that was originally the home of the Count of Gomera, who was governor from 1609-1623. His successors also lived here. A story says that one of the counts came home at the wrong time and found his wife with the butler, and that he buried the butler alive. The story got some credibility after the 1976 earthquake—workers found a skeleton standing up within the pantry wall. The house was exorcised in 1992.

Favorite Dish: The quiche was excellent.

• Mono Loco: Nachos as big as your head!

by grandmababsy Written Apr 23, 2010

The Mono Loco is listed in 80 Bars Around the World as the best bar in Guatemala----and there is no doubt about that! What a fun place to come to meet friends, locals, and travellers alike. It has great atmosphere, wonderful food, strong drinks, lively music, happening sports, and terrific service. I had a blast there drinking the local Gallo beer sharing a huge plate of nachos (best I have ever had anywhere) with my traveling companions. I can't wait to go back to Antigua for another Mono Loco experience!

Favorite Dish: Order the nachos or the big-ass burrito. Unbelieveable. Extremely affordable with generous portions.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Restaurante Las Palmas

by MalenaN Written Dec 22, 2009

I had just read the menu outside Restaurante Las Palmas and had decided to go inside when someone handed me a piece of paper where it said I could change it for a glass of vine at the restaurant. It tasted good with wine so after the first glass I ordered another. While I was waiting for my meal I got nachos with dip to eat. It was on the house. A glass of vine, a bottle of water, lasagne and tip was 127.50 quetzales (July 2009).
    The service was good and it was a quiet and nice restaurant.

Waiting for lasagne

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Da Gusto: Eat Where Bill Clinton Did!

by jumpingnorman Written Nov 26, 2009

My guide brought me to the Da Gusto Restaurant which is famous for being where Bill Clinton ate in 1999, as well as for its good food – so okay, let’s go have lunch!

It’s located near the museums and the reception was warm and friendly and there is middle courtyard, a second floor where the restrooms are, and an inner dining hall. We ate in the latter.

We both ordered steaks, and I ordered one with the combinations such that I also had chorizo and plantain and I think my guide ordered one which was a little spicier – PUYAZO. But my dish (Asado Chapin Puyazo) was really good and I finished it!

Then my guide suggested we try the Mole which is a plantain dessert bathed in chocolate. I tried it and it was good, not as sweet as plain regular plantain (although I really like sweet things, hehe).

My bill was about 330 Quetzal, tip included --- about US$60

Favorite Dish: Asado Chapin Puyazo and the plantain

Eat Where Bill Clinton Did! Da Gusta, Antigua Da Gusta Restaurant, Antigua, Guatemala Da Gusta Restaurant, Antigua, Guatemala Da Gusta Restaurant, Antigua, Guatemala

• Rainbow Café: Best atmosphere in town

by jabslammer1 Written Sep 28, 2009

Hands down the best place we found in Antigua, we liked it so much we came here nearly everyday of our visit! They have great healthy food at remarkably cheap prices considering its Antigua we are talking about (my favourite was the falafel). They also had live music everynight, a good secondhand bookshop, talks given by local charities every Tuesday etc.... but the thing we like so much about Rainbow was the atmosphere, the staff were soooo friendly and helpful and the artwork and comfy lounge area made for a great experience everytime!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the falafel although the Greek Chicken was pretty special too! I liked the falafel so much because it came with a delicous tahini sauce, hummus, pita bread and salad... and the price was about half what other restaurants were charging and it was nicer and more plentiful!!

Music! A talk by Educarte The artwork! Talk by Sue Patterson founder of Wings
    • Music

• Te Quiero: Great Tapas

by veblen Written Jul 26, 2009

This tapas restaurant is interestingly decorated, the back room includes interesting antique colonial furniture. The owners are a friendly couple who are full of information about Antigua -Karla, a Guatemalteca who also runs a salon upstairs and Scott, a young American expatriate. There is music Fridays and Saturdays; we heard an acoustic guitar performer who sang in English and Spanish, sometimes one verse in Spanish and the next in English.

Favorite Dish: This is a great tapas restaurant with fabulous variety. We asked for non-meat tapas and were surprised at the variety, taste, and price. For a little less than $8 US we had a great dinner of tapas for two.

• aztraveler2's Profile Photo

La Fonda de la Calle Real: Authentic Guatemalan

by aztraveler2 Written Mar 21, 2008

Even though partly famous because Bill Clinton ate here (there are several framed photos in the restaurant), the food is the star. The most popular dish is Caldo Real (caldito real is a smaller portion). It is a chicken soup with rice and cilantro and other ingredients and is delicious. This makes a nice starter.
    There are several entrees from which to choose, ranging from Gallo Chincha (rooster in a sauce), chiles rellenos, steaks and much more.
    For dessert, try the fried bean and plantain medallions (can't remember the name), they were awesome.
    The restaurant is reasonable, too. Four of us had starters, entrees, one dessert, and several beers and glasses of wine. It set us back about USD20 each, including tip. Not too bad.

Favorite Dish: Caldo Real

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Doña Luisa Xicotencatl: desayuno

by gfinesilver Updated Mar 16, 2008

Best breakfast in town. Also a bakery with great smelling stuff.
    In a big old colonial house with lots of seating, this place is great and quite inexpensive comparatively.
    Local dishes, great smoothies and coffees and pastries all available.

Favorite Dish: Huevos Rancheros

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Mercado Municipal, Santa Lucía and elsewhere: mercados

by gfinesilver Written Mar 16, 2008

To get good local food go to the market and try things you haven't heard of. I like hilachas and tamales and pollo en jocón.

In the Southeast of town at the Santa Lucía church in the courtyard there is a lady who does good local food every day for lunch. It's worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood or checking out the church.

Favorite Dish: Hilachas. She makes this traditional beef stew really good.

• Bistrot Cinq: Great dining in Antigua!!

by graysonzoe Updated Dec 9, 2007

We visited this restaurant on a trip this weekend----great experience---food and wine was outstanding. Our server was great and took very good care of during our visit. Come to find out the restaurant was created by a famous American chef, Robbin Haas. We will be going back to Bistrot Cinq soon!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Our favorite dish was the roasted chicken---a simple meal that was prepared perfect! We also shared the short ribs that we great-----and finished with the Vanilla Bean Crème Brulée-----what an amazing meal!!!

• Wine Tasting

Sangre: Wine Bar and Tapas

by Hopkid Written Nov 26, 2007

Walk through the small boutique that fronts 5a Avenida Norte to get to this stylish wine bar that serves tapas, those small dishes of appetizer creations so well known in Spain. The decor will remind one of being in a trendy bar in NY or LA and is a nice change from the colonial atmosphere that is prevalent in Antigua. Service is good and friendly and the dishes are simply done and tasty. We only had a couple of plates (antipasto plate with olives, goat cheese, tomatoes, and crackers...forgot what the other one was) and I had a nice glass of Gascon Malbec from Argentina. We sat at the bar and had a nice conversation with the bar tender.

Good atmosphere with friendly staff and good eats.

Favorite Dish: Gascon Malbec, tapas

La Fuente: Nice Setting, Mediocre Food

by Hopkid Written Nov 26, 2007

We were starving and looking for something inexpensive. We found what we needed at La Fuente which takes up a side of an inner courtyard that surrounds a pretty fountain, stone walkways, and greenery. The remainder of the courtyard is taken up by a nice assortment of shops that are worth browsing through. The food was inexpensive and wasn't overly impressive although it served its purpose. Burritos, wraps, and vegetarian dishes. I wasn't totally thrilled when I saw that some dishes had American cheese. But to relax in such a setting is quite a nice experience. Just don't come here expecting fine dining.

Favorite Dish: None

The sparkling lemonade wasn't bad.

Cafe Condesa Express: Fresh Coffee and Baked Goods

by Hopkid Written Nov 25, 2007

A stand-up/take-away coffee shop arm of the restaurant, Cafe Condesa Express, is located next door to the Libreria Case del Conde bookstore and is open early each morning for those in need of a caffeine fix. They also sell pastries, cookies, and croissants. A perfect spot to get energized when out on an early morning stroll or photo shoot.

Favorite Dish: Espresso

Cafe Condesa: Eat in the Courtyard

by Hopkid Updated Nov 25, 2007

Located off the Parque Central on the opposite side of the cathedral, Café Condesa has a nice courtyard dining area that is beautifully landscaped. Seating on stone benches is made more comfortable with cushy pillows. A big highlight of the café is their freshly baked bread. Any sandwich ordered is worth it just for the bread. I had The Count which was a standard roast beef sandwich but was great because of the bread. I also had a slice of their raspberry apple pie which was delicious. The other highlight of our visit here was the rather large earthquake that occurred. Luckily there was no damage or injuries.

To get to the restaurant you need to walk through Libreria Case del Conde book store and past two small shops that lead to the inner courtyard and the restaurant. A stand-up/take-away coffee shop arm of the restaurant, Cafe Condesa Express, is located next door and is open early each morning for those in need of a caffeine fix. They also sell pastries, cookies, and croissants.

Favorite Dish: Raspberry apple pie

Courtyard portion of restaurant Go through the bookstore to get to the dining room

Pollo Campero: Guatemalan Fast Fried Chicken

by Hopkid Written Nov 25, 2007

Best described as the Guatemalan version of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Pollo Campero serves varieties of fried and roasted chicken in a fast food setting. The food is actually very tasty, health benefits notwithstanding. Two main differences between Pollo Campero and KFC:

1. If you're going to eat in, don't stand in the line at the counter. Simply take a spot in the dining area, peruse the menu on your table and a waitperson will soon be by to take your order. Very nice!

2. If there is a woman sitting on the ground outside the restaurant entrance, it is likely that she's not panhandling but selling fresh tortillas to go with your meal. Do yourself a favor and purchase a few tortillas from her.

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken

San Jorge Hotel
Hotel Casa Azul
Casa Encantada

Instant Answers: Antigua Guatemala

Comments

Antigua Guatemala Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Antigua Guatemala locals.
Map of Antigua Guatemala