Language Schools, Antigua Guatemala

by RavPadfoot
  • guatemax's Profile Photo

Spanish school Antigua Guatemala

by guatemax Written Mar 10, 2014

I've studied Spanish several times along with my wife in recent years in Antigua Guatemala. We fell in love with the city the first time we saw it; a small pedestrian-friendly colonial town at the foot of a giant volcano. We were never bored in Antigua. There are dozens of ruins of museums, along with a cultural center to visit. If you like to party, the town is full of bars with live music. I lived 10 minutes from the central park; I often came home late at night with my wife without any problems. Antigua is one of safest cities I know of in Central America. We studied at Spanish School Don Pedro de Alvarado; our teachers were all excellent and professional. I studied six hours per day each time, with two separate teachers. The first four hours were in the morning, and then two hours in the afternoon after lunch. After my coursework was finished each afternoon, I worked as a volunteer in the school project teaching English. The school has sponsored ten poor children from the ages of 9 to 12 years old. They eat their lunch every day at the school, followed by homework help and English lessons in the afternoon. The school are always looking for volunteers to help teach French and English, and help the kids with their homework. The school offers a discount on Spanish classes of $20 per week for students who volunteer. Don Pedro has great host families where students and families gather for meals; this encourages students to practice their Spanish while they are eating. We lived in a large house; our room was very comfortably furnished and had a private bathroom. Our host family always ate with us, and spoke Spanish during the meal. I am 65, and I appreciated the fact that my host family was only a ten minute walk from the school. The family we chose was the most expensive at $275 a week for two people sharing the same room, but Don Pedro Spanish School has several plans for family homestays. The least expensive one is $75 per week per person, which includes room and full board. The administrative staff are all very professional, flexible, and helpful .They have free activities every day; for example they sponsor a lunch on Tuesdays and a dinner party on Thursdays which include music and salsa dancing. Afternoon visits include excursions to museums, local craft markets, and coffee fincas. I heartily recommend this school. You will not be disappointed either by the coursework or by the volunteering opportunities Here is their email: donpedro77@hotmail.com

• Don Pedro de Alvarado Spanish School

by alynnho Written Jan 26, 2014

After reading numerous positive reviews for this school I contacted the management about studying at the school and living with a local family for one week- I spoke with the manager Leticia several times by phone and even went into the school to meet with her in person once I arrived in Antigua to make sure the school was the right fit for me (I visited 5 other schools as well). Because of the positive reviews I had read online I decided to go with this school. I asked to be placed with an interactive family that would only speak Spanish with me at all times for full immersion, I also requested an experienced teacher who knew about Latin American history, culture, and who would be highly interactive as well.

Unfortunately on my first day I was placed in a home that was essentially a hotel, there was NO family living there-- only a single male owner of the home who although nice was more like a hotel manager and immediately began speaking English with me even when I spoke to him in Spanish. I was very surprised as I had specifically emphasized the importance of being placed with the a family for "Spanish Immersion" several times over the phone AND in person. I called the school after realizing the situation and thankfully they immediately switched my accommodations to live with an actual family that would speak to me in Spanish. I was very surprised that the school overlooked my multiple requests and emphasis on living with a family for Spanish Immersion. It was a terrible oversight.

However, the largest oversight was the teacher I was given. Again, I spoke with management several times over the phone and in person about the importance of the type of teacher I needed for my skill level. I was VERY clear and beyond specific about my needs. I had already been studying in several other schools in other parts of Guatemala- Xela (Celas Maya, Utitlan) and in San Juan Lago Atitlan for over 2 months. The teacher I had at Don Pedro de Alvarado was the worst teacher I have had in all my studies in Latin America-- and I have had a total of 5 in different schools/cities in Guatemala and in Ecuador as well. While attending the school, I heard complaints from 2 other students who had my same teacher and either requested to change instructors or were too polite to do so (and this was just in one week). I made a small complaint before one class, and she seemed to be more attentive that day, however the next day it was like I was alone studying a workbook, I could have been at home or learning Spanish on youtube. It was a huge waste of time and my money.

For the great reputation that the school seems to have online, it's shocking that the level of instruction myself and others received via this teacher was as bad as it was. I would recommend that they put such instructors through a more thorough training program.

To be fair, most of the people I met at the school liked their teachers and were quite happy.
    I am just disappointed that after several conversations with school management about my very specific needs that they could not deliver my clear and basic requests. From my experience, I would never return to this school and would not recommend this school to anyone.

• Freequebec's Profile Photo

Spanish school in Antigua Guatemala

by Freequebec Written Nov 4, 2013

My favorite school in Antigua is the Don Pedro school : http://www.donpedrospanishschool.com . I have studied there six times over the course of the last few years. The first time I chose this school was because they asked for payment only one week at a time. It is not the cheapest one if you study four hours per day, but if you study six hours with two teachers, then it is a good value. Most of the time, I know in Guatemala it is not always the case, but in this case the price reflects the quality of the education. While I have never had a bad teacher at Don Pedro, I do highly recommend four particular teachers: Helida, Corina, Betty and Rosa. The school offers a lot of fun and free activities each afternoon after classes. The students can participate in a group lunch on Tuesdays and Fridays and a group dinner on Thursday evenings for anyone interested. This is a great way to get to know more of the teachers and students. They also had excursions and opportunities for volunteer work, and volunteer placements were free. Some schools ask for a fee for volunteer placements.

Don Pedro offers good family homes where the hosts eat with you during meals and encourage students to practice Spanish while they eat. I asked to have a host family with few other student guests and located very close to the school; I am older and don't like to walk too far to get to the school. I lived in a traditional colonial house where I had cable TV, wi-fi in the room, and a private bathroom,. It was very comfortably furnished. I found that watching television in Guatemala is an excellent and enjoyable way to improve my listening skills in Spanish. My family always ate with me and always spoke Spanish during the meal; we had some very interesting conversations. I very appreciated that the family was five minutes walking distance from the school.

The reason that I prefer Antigua is the good weather, security, safety, cleanliness, quiet, and the small size of the city. All these things make it a more desirable place to be, in my opinion. It is a small city; everything of interest is within walking distance. Antigua is a cultural center, and there is always something going on there; even after 6 week of study there it is difficult to be bored whatever your age. There are many restaurants and bars, live music, theatre, art...Antigua has it all. The city is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and has many connections with history and many small museums to visit as well. The ambience of Antigua is very charming.
    Of course everything I say is my own opinion. There are many good schools in Guatemala; choose the one that best suits your needs, your philosophies and your budget. Remember that no one school is right for everyone. On this site you can find the majority of addresses of the Spanish schools in Guatemala. Good luck, and good study!

• Freequebec's Profile Photo

Spanish school in Antigua Guatemala.

by Freequebec Written Nov 4, 2013

My favorite school in Antigua is the Don Pedro school : http://www.donpedrospanishschool.com. I have studied there six times over the course of the last few years. The first time I chose this school was because they asked for payment only one week at a time. It is not the cheapest one if you study four hours per day, but if you study six hours with two teachers, then it is a good value. Most of the time, I know in Guatemala it is not always the case, but in this case the price reflects the quality of the education. While I have never had a bad teacher at Don Pedro, I do highly recommend four particular teachers: Helida, Corina, Betty and Rosa. The school offers a lot of fun and free activities each afternoon after classes. The students can participate in a group lunch on Tuesdays and Fridays and a group dinner on Thursday evenings for anyone interested. This is a great way to get to know more of the teachers and students. They also had excursions and opportunities for volunteer work, and volunteer placements were free. Some schools ask for a fee for volunteer placements.

• Mundo Spanish School - The Best School in Antigua

by Patrick0123 Updated Sep 17, 2013

An ideal combination of excellent classes, and fantastic teachers and persons at Mundo Spanish School in Antigua! I have taken classes abroad and in the U.S. at many different schools – and I really believe that there can't be any better Spanish school!

In my experience of taking classes at these other schools, many simply hire instructors because they speak Spanish-- not because they know how to teach Spanish--- and then the students at many of these other schools practice the same exact repetitive exercises, the same phrases, etc. etc. (that they could probably just do themselves). Mundo uses a wide variety of printed materials, exercises and conversation – they will tailor your classes to you in a 1-on-1 manner - we all have different strengths and weaknesses (whether it be certain areas of grammar, speaking, listening, etc), and they focus on the areas where you need help, and teach in both a creative and practical manner so that you really enjoy being there and learning. You just can't go wrong here.

My experience was just simply excellent - not only in terms of advancing my Spanish a tremendous amount more than had been the case at other schools (which is the most important thing obviously because this is a "results" business), but also doing in a manner that was engaging, receptive always to what I wanted, and in which I thoroughly enjoyed. My teachers, both great, were Felix and Rodolfo – but speaking with other students it seems all of the teachers are experienced, personable, and all students were very much as satisfied as me. Also, Lilian the School Director will always work with you if you have any questions or problems (she wants to please the customer as they realize the benefits of keeping their students happy and satisfied).

The school is in an ideal location (near all of the cafes/coffee, restaurants, internet cafes, etc) – and the school itself is beautiful. You can study outside in the setting of avocado trees, flowers, fountains, volcanoes in the background, etc - or inside in nice classrooms in a large renovated colonial home. There are also always many other students from other parts of the world – so the school has afternoon and weekend activities, volunteer work, etc. if that is an interest.

For all of the reasons above - simply an all-around great experience and I would wholeheartedly recommend Mundo Spanish School to all!

• annemarie56's Profile Photo

Don Pedro de Alvarado Spanish School

by annemarie56 Written Sep 10, 2012

Salsa Lesson Don Pedro Spanish School

I can highly recommend Don Pedro de Alvarado Spanish School is by far the best place to study Spanish in Antigua Guatemala. The school is rated with 5 stars on www.123teachme.com. It is one of the oldest and most established schools in Antigua; it boasts very professional, experienced, sympathetic teachers and is centrally located next to the church of La Merced, a famous landmark of Antigua. The highly regarded, friendly administration at Don Pedro Spanish School can arrange accommodation for you with a local family while you study, and services also include provision of a shuttle to and from the airport at a very reasonable price. The host families provide many amenities such as private bathrooms and wi-fi, and they are all within walking distance of the school. The school provides activities for their students every day; these include hiking and climbing the local volcanoes, visits to coffee fincas, trips to local markets, salsa dancing lessons, cookery lessons, and a weekly fiesta which includes a delicious lunch for all students that is excellently cooked by the Director, Caty, and her staff. If you wish to learn more about Don Pedro Spanish School, their website is www.donpedrospanishschool.com. They also have a really good Facebook page that has many student recommendations and photos of the school. There are video's to see about the school on YouTube as well. I attended Don Pedro Spanish School this past summer for seven weeks, and my Spanish improved dramatically over that that time. I can highly recommend this school.

• Festivals

• agcw's Profile Photo

Don Pedro de Alvarado language school

by agcw Updated Feb 4, 2011

I chose this school on the advice of a friend and it is working out very well. It is relaxed with 1-on-1 tuition and happens at tables under awnings or in the garden. The individual tuition allows one to choose exactly what and how one wants to study. The school offer 4/5/6 hours per day. As a beginner Spanish learner, I chose 4 hours per day - it is plenty and the homework will take up a couple more hours (if you decide to do any!).

Twice a week the school puts on an "event": dinner with salso dancing and practical tortilla making.

They will also arrange collection at the airport in Guatemala City and your accommodation. I chose the "Level B" type of accommodation and it is fine provided you are not expecting anything fancy. Also, the cost of the shuttle from Guatemala City is considerably more expensive than you could arrange on your own.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Work on your Spanish?

by flynboxes Written Dec 17, 2010

Living in Los Angeles it would be rather pointless to do so since I just have to go a few miles inland to do it but for those of you will teenage kids or other who live in cities where Spanish is not a amjor second language then Antigua is a good place to start. There are schools around every other corner that handle this..so it seemed. There are even organizations that specialize in foreign nationals from specific countries ie: Germany..and can often place you in smaller cities for further immersion. Check with your embassy for good recomendations.

• Adventure Travel

• RavPadfoot's Profile Photo

Nonprofit Language School

by RavPadfoot Updated Aug 30, 2010
    Studying Spanish at Probigua

I would like to suggest that if you're looking for a language school that you might consider Probigua (Proyecto Biblioteca Guatemala). Unlike a lot of the language schools in Antigua, Probigua is a nonprofit organization. The money the school earns from tuition goes directly back into the communities in Guatemala, providing libraries, computers and books to rural villages throughout Guatemala.

While we were studying at Probigua, we had the opportunity to take the "Bibliobus" with our tutors to San Miguel Milpas Altas, a small village close to Antigua. The bus stopped at a public elementary school and several classes took turns visiting the bus. It was wonderful watching the students get on the bus and get excited about the books they could read. We had the opportunity to read to some of the kids (and they also read to us). In Guatemala, there are no public libraries. The libraries that exist are privately owned, which makes the bibliobus all the more meaningful.

As far as classes are concerned, the school divides students into beginner, intermediate and advanced. Classes are one on one with a tutor with the exception that advanced classes can be in a group if there are enough interested students (for a slightly lower rate). The price was reasonable and when we went (August 2010), it was $125 per week for four hours a day. I was told that the teachers are all university trained but I can't confirm this. My tutor was excellent. Rigoberto, the founder of the school, only hires women as tutors because he believes that women in Guatemala need as many opportunities as they can.

• Study Abroad

• Escuela de Español "Cooperación"

by jbtraveling Written Feb 28, 2009

I spent 3 months studying at Escuela de Español "Cooperación" (Spanish School Cooperación) in Antigua, Guatemala and I highly recommend it. Here’s why.

First, the teachers are great and have a lot of experience. Jorge Mario basically runs the show although he occasionally teaches classes as well. I communicated with Jorge Mario via email before arriving and he was very helpful. We arranged for him to pick me up at the airport but the day I arrived he was quite sick with the flu. Still, he sent someone in his place and still came out in a terrible rain to meet me at the school and then took time to quickly walk me through town and show me some things. I also did some activities with Jorge Mario (whose nickname is “El Sapo”) and always enjoyed spending time with him.

My teacher was Milly and she is very professional and experienced – I think one of the most experienced in Antigua, actually. She has a teaching system with materials she developed herself and in my 3 months I started at the beginning and made it through all of the materials, getting a very solid grammar foundation with plenty of time to actually have conversation in class. I don’t think I am especially good at language but I met many students from other schools and with only a couple of exceptions it seemed that I had learned more in a shorter time. I also never met anyone who had a better study of the dreaded subjunctive than I had with Milly. But, Milly isn’t just a great teacher, she is also a great person who is easy to talk with. She also knows a lot about Antigua and you can learn a lot besides Spanish from talking with her.

The school is one of the more reasonably priced schools and they are flexible in terms of scheduling. I didn’t need much flexibility but some of the other students did and I saw that they were accommodated every time. You can also start pretty much any day of the week and study for pretty much any duration you can manage.

The Cooperación is a small school which has its pluses and minuses. You get great attention and all the teachers are experienced and professional. But, if one of your goals is to make a ton of friends with other students, there will obviously be less opportunities at a smaller school. Still, I met wonderful people from Norway, Germany, Ireland, France, U.S., Canada, UK, etc.

The only aspect of the school I can’t talk about from direct experience is the homestay as I chose to stay for 3 months and got my own apartment (which El Sapo helped me find). But, it seemed that others students at the school who stayed with local families did have a good experience.

So, there are a lot of school choices in Antigua and I am sure you won’t go wrong with many of them. But, if you aren’t decided yet on a school, I recommend you check out the Cooperación.

• Spanish School in Antigua Guatemala

by turbokaos Written Apr 30, 2008

Have you thought about traveling to Guatemala with your family to learn Spanish? Well you aren’t alone. It is a great way to introduce your child to a new country and immerse them in a foreign language.

But before I provide you with a first hand recommendation of a language school in Guatemala, let me tell you a little about the languages of Guatemala. Although Spanish is the official language, there are over twenty-one Mayan languages spoken in Guatemala. These languages are part of the Mesoamerican linguistic group and are spoken by the Mayans of Guatemala. Many of the Mayan people do not speak Spanish at all.

Now back to learning Spanish in Guatemala. I recently read a recommendation for a language school posted by a mother we will call Mrs. Smith. For two weeks she, her husband and her two daughters (aged eleven and seven) attended the Academia Colonial in Antigua, Guatemala and had a great time.

The instruction in this school is one-on-one, and each of them had their own instructor. The teachers follow a certain methodology, but the classes aren’t unnecessarily structured. After doing an initial assessment the first day, they create an individual learning plan for the student. They also incorporate games, field trips, videos, cooking and enjoyable activities. Mrs. Smith reported that the teachers were terrific and made sure that the children had age appropriate classes and activities.

And what does this all cost? A program of four hours per day costs $100 per week.

Regarding accommodation, Academia Colonial has a “family stay” option where students live with a local family and get lots of immersion in the Spanish language. The family stay is $80 per week per person, and that includes meals. Mrs. Smith stayed with a family that had two children so her kids had other children to play with. The house was very clean and they enjoyed staying there.

Mrs. Smith highly recommends this Academia Colonial Spanish School in Antigua Guatemala and I thank her for providing this helpful information.

• Study Abroad

• escuela cooperacion, soon master of a new language

by anne-catherine Written Feb 22, 2008

I am from Switzerland and was many times in Antigua for longer and shorter periods where I have seen several bigger and smaler language schools. The nicest school of all those I visited was „cooperation“ and I have returned there often. The school is serious and you learn a lot, but the school is also able to organise a party or excursion if the students like it and it is appropriate.
    I had a great time there and speak fluently Spanish now.
    The school is small and is organised as a coopertion of teachers. You learn Spanish in private lessons that means every student has his own teacher. You get from the school teachingmaterial about the language in general or about the special subjects you ask for. Every teacher has a university degree, is flexible and very friendly. You can take lectures in the morning or in the afternoon. The students can stay in a hotel or in a guestfamily if you prefer. The teachers will help to find a good family to stay with. The prices are adequate compared to other schools. In the afternoon you can participate in different activities like excursions, cooking or dancing salsa and many more. Go and have a look at the homepage of the school or speak with Jorge, write them a mail and you will get soon an answer in English. Try it out, you will have a lot of fun and be soon master of a new language!

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• Go to a Spanish school, but don't commit too soon!

by cajeba Written Sep 8, 2007

I spent one month studying at the Spanish School Cooperacion in Antigua. Like any school, there are good teachers and not-so-good teachers; some students were very happy with their experience, and others were not. My advice: whatever school you choose, tell them that you'll just stay for one week, and don't pay for more. By the end of the first week, you can book for longer if you like you're happy; if you're not crazy about your teacher, you can either try to change teachers or switch schools. It's pretty much impossible to get a refund from anybody.

Although this school is much cheaper than others in town, a drawback is that it does not have much of an activity program - because it's so small (generally only 5-10 students at any given time, versus dozens at other schools), the most you'll get it a weekly salsa class and maybe one extra excursion. There's a trip every Friday morning, but that's in place of language class.

• rstanton's Profile Photo

Don't Miss this Spanish School!!!

by rstanton Written Feb 26, 2007

If you are looking for a great Spanish school in Antigua, Guatemala, go to Escuela Cooperacion.
    Its a cooperative of teachers and everyone there is paid fairly and is happy to be there. You have the option to customize your studies and can study for as little as one week or a few months. The teachers are very flexible and want to help you to learn. It is a great value and includes the option for homestay (yummy food). The price for a week also includes a daily field trip to local attractions. We went to the market, a nearby town, the cemetary and a macadamia nut farm. It is a great place weather you are looking to learn a few key phrases or to speak and understand Spanish.
    You study one on one with a teacher for 3-4 hours a day (more or less if you want) on a beautiful terrace in the sunshine. Our teache Milly even took us out for a day at the hot springs!!
    The owners of the school are sooo friendly and they also teach Salsa lessons (they are GOOD!!)
    I can't say enough great things about Escuela Cooperacion. Its location very near the plaza central is also quite easy to find.

• Business Travel

• nancyw's Profile Photo

The best Spanish school in Antigua

by nancyw Updated Jan 11, 2007

Thousands of tourists come to Antigua each year, many to study Spanish. I'm no exception, and based on the recommendation of a fellow couchsurfer (www. couchsurfing.com), I signed up for two months of classes with Escuela de Espanol "Cooperacion". Boy, am I glad I took her recommendation. I signed up for classes at the school with Jorge Mario, director of the school, while on vacation in Antigua in December.

I was worried about finding an apartment over the internet (I'd seen a couple while on vacation which didn't suit me) but Jorge Mario promised to find something for me that I'd like. He worked with local contacts and visited a variety of apartments before finding one he thought I'd like and sending photos and a description. He also arranged to pick me up at the airport in Guatemala City.

My first day in Antigua, enjoying the wonderful apartment Jorge Mario arranged, I met Mily, new maestra. That day we didn't have class. Instead Mily helped me shop for basics and showed me around, answering questions and making me feel like I'd moved to a town where I already had a local friend.

The teachers at the Escuela de Espanol Cooperacion each have more than ten years experience and terrific resources to make learning Spanish both easy and fun. Classes are tailored to each individual and involve traditional practice, along with conversation, games and "field trips". The quality of teaching and support materials is excellent (and as a former teacher, I'm not easy to please!)

Whether you'll be in Antigua for a week for a month, I strongly recommend you try the Escuela de Espanol "Cooperacion". You'll still have plenty of time for all the standard tourist stuff - but will have the inside track, thanks to Jorge Mario, Mily and the other teachers at the Escuela.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Antigua Guatemala

Comments

View all Antigua Guatemala hotels