Getting Around Antigua Guatemala

Most Viewed Transportation in Antigua Guatemala

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Horse drawn carriage

by flynboxes Written Dec 17, 2010

Have that special someone with you and want to impress them or create a memory then check out the carriage that is available for hire in Central Park. On the other hand you could just be tired or walking around the cobblestone streets and still want to see more of the city. Whatever the excuse this is a creat way to see the historic city.

• Architecture

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Journey to Antigua

by toonsarah Updated Dec 11, 2010

There are (at present) no direct flights from the UK to Guatemala, so you’ll need to change planes somewhere. Most people choose, as we did, to travel via the US. This has the advantage of plenty of choice, and relatively reasonable prices, but the disadvantage of the lengthy customs and immigration procedures at US airports, which you are obliged to go through even if you have no intention of setting foot on US soil.

We used British Airways for our transatlantic flights and their partner American Airlines for the flights between the US and Central America. The BA service was good, with reasonable in-flight meals, a good choice of films and entertainment to pass the time, and friendly cabin crew. But we were less impressed with American Airlines. Staff were off-hand (one to the point of rudeness), and gave conflicting information about immigration requirements. And while we’re quite used these days to having to pay for food on shorter flights, it would have been good to be able to choose between more than just potato chips or cookies for lunch.

Eventually we reached our destination, Guatemala City’s Aurora International Airport, which we found to be modern, quiet and easy to navigate. There we were met by a representative of the local agents, STP, for the transfer to our first hotel in Antigua, 45 minutes away. It was dark by now, so unfortunately we couldn’t enjoy the scenery as we would have liked, but there was plenty to see close to the side of the road. As we left the city it was lined with a string of shopping malls and fast food restaurants, and looked somewhat disappointingly like the outer edges of a US city, but as we started to climb out of the hollow in which the capital lies we could look down on its lights and start to feel at last that we were in a new and rather different country. Glimpses of village houses through the darkness, palm and other tropical trees, a winding road climbing ever higher ... then over the top and down to Antigua below us. I expected another stretch of outer city sprawl but almost immediately it seemed we were into the historic centre, bumping over the cobbles to arrive at our posada.

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

Avoid these buses/coaches!

by crazyman2 Written Oct 16, 2009

We had booked a ships tour from Puerto Quetzal to Antigua. The long journey (2 hours?) was awful because the coach had poor ventilation in the back. We complained, twice. The guide did nothing about it. We complained for a third time and he moved his things from an unused seat at the front so that we could sit there. Wow! Fresh air!
    So, it was only a problem at the back of the coach.
    The yellow coach was run by the 'Rutus Orientales' company.

• girladventure's Profile Photo

Group Shuttle to the Guatemala Airport

by girladventure Written Sep 17, 2007

If you're on a budget and don't want to take a private shuttle, you can go to one of the many tour operators in town. They have a shuttle that will take you to Guatemala Airport (they have specific times of the day) for less than $10. Just make sure to book your seat ahead of time.

Departure tax

by easterntrekker Updated Mar 21, 2007

There is a 20-30 Q flight tax payable before you get on every flight...even domestic. We thought it would be only on international flights. I guess the real warning is its not $20.00-30.00 ...money was hard to come by and I hated tuling away cash that I could have spent!!

• Singles

Shuttles

by easterntrekker Updated Mar 21, 2007

You can get a shuttle from the airport to Antigua for about $10.00 . We paid $25.00 for 2 people and had our hotel book the shuttle with the driver waiting outside arrivals. We are very cautious travellers

• Singles

Trip from Airport

by easterntrekker Updated Mar 21, 2007

The one and a half shuttle ride from the airport took us over three hours . This was due to traffic and raod constuction . We arrived at 2PM on a Friday and traffic was at a standstill. This was in a shuttle ...buses would be much longer!

• Business Travel

• From Guatemala city to antigua

by funkaddict Written Mar 20, 2006

When we got to Guatemala airport we went to the tourism desk right away and she tadvised us to go to Antigua and that there was a shuttle that was going to leave immidiatly that was $10 per person. It was a little bus/ van service. When we got there we got in touch with the other tourism desk that was there to fix our transportation for the rest of the trip. There was a man waiting outside that does his own tours an we went ahead and did it with him. It was kind of hard to find a hotel. but we just walked around and looked for one

Antigua Guatemala Hotels

Casa Encantada
Latest: Feb 22, 2014

Instant Answers: Antigua Guatemala

• Aug 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Just want to warn folks about a company called Goto-Guatemala.com. They are thieves. I contacted the company about getting transportation during my trip to Guatemala. They contacted me back asking for the addresses of where I needed to be picked-up and dropped-off. I sent addresses back and then they confirmed my addresses and asked me to pay. I paid. Then, about 1 week before my trip they contacted me and said that they could not pick me up or drop me off at my locations. I had no choice but to cancel services with them and I asked for a refund. They would not refund me because I had already paid and all payments are nonrefundable. They are thieves for taking my money and not being able to provide a service to me. They are awful awful people.

Antigua Guatemala Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Antigua Guatemala locals.
Map of Antigua Guatemala