Lago de Atitlán Favorites

V awaiting the morning sun
    by VinTolucci
    The lake and the Toliman Volcanoe
    by filipdebont
    beautiful flower
    by filipdebont

Most Recent Favorites in Lago de Atitlán

xk'ap

The typical xk'ap

Favorite thing: The most remarkable headdress I did see during my trip through Guatemala was in Santiago Atitlan, a small village at the borders of the Atitlan Lake.

There still few women were an xk’ap. This is a band of red cloth (it must be about 10 meters long), wrapped around the head.

I must say that I did only see one lady with this headdress, our guide told us that it is going out of use, and you’ll probably only see it at fiestas and on market days worn by the older ladies.

And when we returned to the boat, I asked a local young girl where I could find a lady wearing such red band. And she told me, that she had one and she was willing to put it on for me, to make a picture for a few quetzals. Of course I said yes, it would be a pity to leave Santiago Atitlan without a picture of an xk’ap.

Colorful dresses

what a cute girl

Favorite thing: During our stay in Panajachel, at the border of Lake Atitlan, we did make a boat trip to some small villages on the other side of the lake.
    Each village had a different dress code, the colors of the clothing were different each time.

Fondest memory: The colorful people we met.

A great place to stay

The lake and the Toliman Volcanoe

Favorite thing: As it was the first place we stopped during our Guatemala trip, we al wandered a bit what Guatemala would be. As for me, I did not really know lot about this country, so I was pretty curious to discover it.

And the first place we visited was already a shot in the bull’s eye. I had a splendid time during my stay here in Panajachel, near the Atitlan Lake.

In fact this lake is surrounded by three big Volcanoes: San Pedro Volcano, Toliman Volcano and the Atitlan Volcano.

On this picture you see the Toliman Volcano; you can’t see the Atitlan Volcano because it is located just behind the Toliman Volcano.

25 Centavos

25 centavos

Favorite thing: On the Guatemalan coin of 25 Centavos, you can see a picture of the traditional xk'ap. So this head-dress can be seen in the village of Santiago Atitlan.

Great Nature

beautiful flower

Favorite thing: It was great to wander around the Lake Atitlan. The landscape was very green, and there were also several beautiful flowers.

Instant Answers: Lago de Atitlán

Comments

Lago de Atitlán Favorites

Reviews and photos of Lago de Atitlán favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lago de Atitlán sightseeing.

View all Lago de Atitlán hotels