Mirador Travel Guide

Stelae
    Mask, You Can See The Eye

Mirador Things to Do

by canuckmike Written Sep 21, 2008

When arriving at El Mirador from the hike this will most likely be the first set of ruins you will come across. Nowhere near as large and spetacular as the other pyramids and sites here but at least it's easy to see and not completely covered in trees. From what I saw there are only 2 ruins here and is nice little rest stop for 20 or so minutes. From what the guides were saying was that this place got it's name not from something that happened thousands of years ago but from the 1980s when a couple of people died here. Whether thats true or not, I don't know.

Grupo Muerto

by canuckmike Updated Sep 16, 2008

Leon Pyramid is not as popular as El Tigre, La Danta and Los Manos but it still is a big pyramid. To get some time to myself and maybe hoping to something mystical (there were rumours about floating balls of lights on top of La Danta). As I started to walk down the path I saw some large birds that quickly disappeared into the jungle. So I walked some more and I came to this pyramid and I was like oh, cool. What got my attention was a spider monkey high in a tree. He didn't seem like he was happy with me getting close to his pyramid. The monkey would make monkey noise at me and shake branches. So I would jump around, grab a tree and shake it while making monkey noises (evolution huh). The monkey would jump on branches towards me and we would go back and forth. Then another spider monkey comes along and they start to try to surround me. I decided to leave.

The Sign The Pyramid

• Mirador Hotels

0 Hotels in Mirador

Mirador Off The Beaten Path

by canuckmike Written Sep 11, 2008

This was an unexpected surprise. Since there is ongoing excavation here, there are parts where tourists are not normally permitted. I got to go here for two reasons I believe. The first was that it was just hours before my birthday. The second and most important reason is that I brought a bottle whiskey for the guards. I understand whats it like to be in a remote area for extended periods of time.

The guards unlocked the door into the tunnel areas. We walked around a couple of corridors then got to go into a tighter corridor. Inside there was a giant mask built into the wall. The picture is not so good because the area was a bit tight and all of a sudden my camera batteries died. It was quite fun to walk around some Mayan tunnels that aren't open to the general public at night time.

Mask, You Can See The Eye

Mirador Favorites

by canuckmike Written Nov 8, 2009

Favorite thing: Stelae are common to many of the Mayan sites and El Mirador is no different. Stelae are generally stone slabs that commemorate something and are I believe supposed to taller than they are wide. The ones I saw here are no where near as grand as the other ones at other Mayan sites but still are worth a breif look. One thing I did enjoy is that you would be walking along the path and there would be one just off to the side.

Stelae

Instant Answers: Mirador

Comments

Mirador Travel Guide
Map of Mirador