Parque Nacional Tikal Transportation

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

We Snag a Mini-Van

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 29, 2007

Our Driver & Translator

When we opted for our impromptu trip to Tikal, with no Spanish to fall back on, we were not exactly sure what to expect. However, with lots of tips from other travellers at our Trek Stop stay in Belize, we decided to give it our best shot. By 7 AM we were standing on the highway headed for the border when a 'share cab' stopped to pick us up (US$3). As soon as we arrived we were set upon by money changers, in both Belize and the 'no man's land' between border stations. Planning only a short trip, I changed a minimal amount of BZ$300 (US$150) into 1050 Quetzales and got on with the border formalities. Things went well, US$37.50 to exit Belize and ~US$3 to enter Guatemala. Between border posts, we had been approached by a taxi driver, who pointed me to the proper immigration forms for the Guatemalan side. Once we were through, he and I discussed how we were going to continue our journey, since practically everyone else was already attached to a pre-paid tour of some sort. The going rate for a 'taxi' ride to Tikal had been US$60 but had recently been reported as raised to US$75 from our information, so when the driver offered to take us both for US$40 we accepted it after a bit of haggling (after all, we only had one night to play with so did not have a lot of time available to be waiting around!) and we were underway by 8:30 AM (continued next Tip).

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Road to Tikal

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 8, 2006

'Crocodile's Head' at Lake Petan Itza

The road from the Belize border was unpaved and undergoing extensive repairs for the first ~30 miles, but it was not overly rough and we made relatively good time - the countryside was nice too but you could immediately tell the lower economic standard as compared to Belize. We soon hit pavement and bombed along quite nicely until we pulled over for the scenic shot shown here near El Remate, where the road forks between the town of Flores and Tikal National Park. We paid our US$14 entrance fees (for two) as we entered the outer boundary of the Park and soon covered the remaining 20 miles (30 km) to the Temples, arriving at about 10 AM.

Our transportation guys helped us sort out our accommodations and offered to come back the next afternoon at 2:30 PM to take us back - for the same price (after a bit of bargaining). When they did come back, they had brought a couple of young American customers (from San Igancio) on a day-trip, so we had to wait until these people had finished their touring at ~4:15 PM before we actually headed 'home'. All went smoothly and we were back across the border by 6:15 PM, from where we took a 'share cab' back to our accommodations at the Trek Stop (whose owners had kindly allowed us to leave our large backpacks in our chalet at no charge while we stayed in Tikal with our day-packs!). Our taxi van was operated by ASETUR out of Melchor de Mencos, Peten District and we saw another couple of their vans while in Tikal - no complaints!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Our flight to Flores

by toonsarah Updated Jan 5, 2011

Our plane to Flores

We flew to Flores from Guatemala City Airport (Aurora International) with TACA on a small twin prop plane. I really love flying on these but nervous flyers should be prepared for something that looks and feel very different from your average modern jet. Unfortunately our flight was an evening one and it was dark throughout its brief 50 minutes, so we couldn’t see anything of Guatemala below us. Despite the shortness of the flight however, the cabin crew found time to serve a snack – an empanada and fruit juice.

On landing in Flores we collected our bags which were quickly delivered to the hatch at one side of the tiny terminal, and were met outside by the representative of STP who was to drive us to our hotel, Miguel. Like all the STP employees we met, he was friendly and informative, and we were pleased to hear that he was to be our guide the next morning.

After about an hour's driving we arrived at Tikal, where Miguel paid our entrance fees and handed over a map so that we could see a little of what the next day was to bring. We arranged to meet after breakfast and he headed off home to Flores for the night, leaving us to check into the Jungle Lodge.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Avoiding the Beaten Tourist Routes

by atufft Updated Apr 3, 2006

A lot of people fly in to Tikal because of it's remote location--a sinful way to avoid the hard realities of real life in my opinion. But, then the routes from Guatemala City are heavily trafficked as well. The problem is that the roads between the Mexican Yucatan and Guatamala's Mayan ruins are rarely traveled even by the locals, and are largely fit only for a 4x4 vehicle--a costly rental alternative. On my Flores and Sayaxche pages, I recommend lodging and routes that connect to Tikal fairly handily, and so I recommend reading those pages. These routes also have the advantage of access to the Mayan highlands, so that mixing ruins and cultural adventure is quite feasible in a short trip. These areas of Peten are low on tourism even during high season, and yet regular bus transportation available. Better take these routes before the asphalt ribbon is complete.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

TACA versus TAG in flying to Flores to see Tikal

by jumpingnorman Updated Mar 14, 2013

Small plane from Guatemala City to Flores-Tikal

I just booked my flight from Flores (nearest airport to Tikal which is about another hour way by driving) to Guatemala City just through a travel agent. But it did seem to me that there are two major airlines flying to Flores. The bigger one is TACA airlines and I later learned that TAG is the smaller company. And one of my co-tourists who is also Guatemalan (but living in Germany) said that TAG is how the “Guatemalans Fly” because of the small plane.

Going to Tikal (November 2009) my plane had only 34 passengers but it did have a steward and drinks were given for the hour long flight. It did not seem too small. But on my return, I was in a plane that had only 10-15 passengers and it is so small, lol. There’s no flight attendant and there was a bottle of mineral water waiting for you on your seat. I actually sat in front of the plane and there is one seat on one aisle and two on the other (I shared with a nice older lady). But the man beside me was bit claustrophobic and he was panicking and so I just tried to joke around him. The heat in the plane also did not help.

The passengers are separated from the cockpit by a curtain and if I extended my legs, my foot would be in the cockpit. But the engines started to roar and it is very very loud. The flight fortunately is less than an hour, and these pilots are really very well-experienced and well-trained. Other than the cramped situations and loud engine, it was tolerable.

But if you do have claustrophia, I suggest you make sure you ride the bigger TACA planes or if you are with TAG, make sure you specify that you need to be in the plane that at least seats 30 people.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

In 2012, there was talk of the end of the world!
    (which did not happen of course,
    otherwise you would not be reading this)
    So I made a little video of my short trip to Tikal, haha
    Hope you like it:

JUMPING NORMAN IN TIKAL, GUATEMALA!

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo

Grupo Taca

by Ken_Weaver Written Mar 2, 2003

Grupo Taca Airlines

Flight 972 to Flores from Guatemala City leaves at 6:30am and gets you to Flores at 730am. Make arrangements with your hotel to pick you up. This will give you a full two days to tour Tikal with just one night in the hotel. Rate round trip economy 3/03 is US$128

• NitnyLeo's Profile Photo

Pretty Fly For A Small Guy

by NitnyLeo Updated Sep 13, 2002

The Plane...The Plane!!

I absolutely, positively HATE flying. But, this little plane got me from Belize City to Flores Airport in Guatemala (and back) on remarkably smooth flights. (2 screwdrivers + 4 bloody marys to Flores; totally exhausted back to Belize). We flew below the clouds with the snake infested jungle always in sight below.

The plane only holds 10 people - one pilot and 9 people who don't know diddly about flying. Seating is bench style (about the size of a small sedan)...there are no aisles - center or side.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Fly In/Out of Flores

by grandmaR Updated Nov 18, 2005

The nearest airport to Tikal is in Flores. We had a voucher for a flight from there to Belize City so we could catch our flight back to the states.

The problem was - the airline we were supposed to fly on seemed to have no office in the airport other than a small booth which was less impressive than the average science fair exhibit. And it was not staffed at that hour in the morning anyway.

It was difficult to find anyone who spoke enough English to figure out what our problem was and how to solve it. Eventually after several false starts, I tracked down a lively lady in a bright yellow dress who found that the flight we were supposed to go on was oversold, and also overweight (these were small planes that took between 5 and 7 passengers). She apparently bullied the people on another airline who were taking the excess luggage from the first airline into taking us and our luggage too.

So we went to the waiting lounge (there was a metal detector which was not working), and I obtained the customs documents I needed by looking at what other people had.

The plane looked like a former military paratrouper plane, and the window was somewhat blurry to look out of because the engine was spraying a bit of oil.

For additional pictures see Lagu Tikal. I had hoped to see Tikal from the air, but either they didn't go that way or I missed it.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Bus, Van, Car

by grandmaR Updated Apr 25, 2003

Road from the air

About the only way to get to or from Tikal is by road. At the time we went (early 1998) none of the roads were paved. We came in a small van/bus on a tour. We were driven to the airport in Flores by van in a somewhat ad hoc arrangement by Gilbert who was at the hotel. He charged us about $30 to drive the two of us and our luggage to the airport.

There is also bus service to Flores which brings the park workers in among other things, but we were leaving too early for the first bus.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Travelling to Tikal

by easterntrekker Written Mar 6, 2007

Flores from the air

The easiest way to make the journey to Tikal is by plane . We flew from Guatemala city to Flores and then travelled by cab ( about a 30 min. ride) to El Remate . We decided to base ourselves here as it is twice as close to the park as Flores. We flew with Taca Air , making our reservations before we left home . It was about $200.00 return.

• RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo

SHUTTLE SERVICES TO TIKAL

by RAZOR-REN Written Dec 23, 2006

THERE ARE TRAVEL AGENTS AROUND ANTIGUA AND FLORES WHICH ARRANGE TRIPS TO TIKAL BY SHUTTLE SERVICE. BECAUSE ANTIGUA IS MUCH FURTHER AWAY FROM TIKAL, I'M NOT SURE HOW THEY'D WORK BUT HOWEVER, IF YOU BOOK A SHUTTLE SERVICE IN FLORES THEY WILL PICK YOU UP FROM YOUR HOTEL AT AN ARRANGED TIME TO TAKE YOU ON ABOUT AN HOUR'S TRIP TO TIKAL.

ON THE TRIP BACK, YOU CAN TAKE ANY SHUTTLE YOU WANT (WHICH LEAVES EVERY HOUR) SO JUST SHOW THE DRIVER YOUR TICKET. BE WARNED, THE LAST SHUTTLE LEAVES AT 6PM.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Shuttle Bus to Tikal

by Babzz Written Jul 20, 2006

Any of the Tour Agencies in Flores will be happy to arrange transportation to the park. Buses leave starting early in the morning and the last bus returns shortly after the park closes at 6 pm. Be forewarned, you probably won't catch the sunrise even if you take the earliest bus: buses are never on time in Guatemala, and the ride to the park is long.

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Crossing the border

by Foundryman1 Written Jan 9, 2005

La Frontera

The Belize side of the border has a new building,Very tidy ,Very Efficient. on the Guatamala side there was a casual air with money changers and food stands.
    You will soon realize that while you are safe ...You're not in Kansas anymore.
    There were some textile stands that we promised ourselves we would see on the way back but were too tired.

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Transport guide

by gfinesilver Written Mar 17, 2008

Flores - regular shuttles will pick you up in the morning at your hotel starting at 4am. Book round trip ticket and come back whenever you want.

To Belize - shuttle or some bus to Puente Ixlu/El Cruce 2 km past El Remate. catch bus heading to Melchor and the "frontera". After completing Guatemalan and Belizian customs, catch a Taxi to Benque or San Ignacio.

From Belize - After completing Guatemalan customs, cross the bridge and find a minivan going to Flores. Make sure locals are boarding also or else you'll pay for a private trip. Get of at Puente Ixlu/El Cruce and walk to El Remate or hope for a bus or van.

Uaxactún - to go to some ruins deep in the jungle there is a bus that goes here. Probably around 4pm but you'll have to ask.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Flight between Guatemala City & Tikal

by Babzz Updated Apr 4, 2011

Flights heading for Tikal leave from both International (TACA and Tikal Airlines) and National (the rest) airports. Departures are commonly early in the morning 6-7am and just over an hour if I remember correctly, which I may not... Return flights are late in the afternoon/early evening 4-6pm. The airport at Tikal is actually a few kilometers outside of Flores, a popular town to stay in during your visit to Tikal. Taxis shuttle passengers between the Flores airport and the town.

We took a TAG flight and paid arround $80US each. It was a small plane, but the service and overall experience was better than some international flights I've been on! We received a small snack and drink, and the seats were really spacious.

Travel agencies in virtually every tourist hotspot sell plane tickets to Tikal. Just shop around for the best deal. Note: The bigger airlines eg TACA are more expensive but have bigger planes.

Instant Answers: Parque Nacional Tikal

Comments

Parque Nacional Tikal Transportation

Reviews and photos of Parque Nacional Tikal transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Parque Nacional Tikal sightseeing.

View all Parque Nacional Tikal hotels