Nebaj Travel Guide

Houses on the road to Nebaj from Chahul
    The market of Chahul
    by metteks
    Houses on the way to Chahul

Nebaj Transportation

by metteks Updated Oct 7, 2005

From Xela I took a bus to Huehuetenango where I changed to another bus that took med to Sacapulas. From Sepulas to Nebaj there aren’t many busses to Nebaj, so I got a ride with a pickup truck. (Pick-ups run frequently as they are many peoples only mean of transportation). The ride from Sepulas to Nebaj took 1½ hours, and it was a very cold trip, since we sat outside, on the back of the truck. As the pickup drove up through the mountains, it got colder and colder, and I was glad that I had bought a woven jacket and gloves.

by metteks Updated Oct 7, 2005

My guidebook writes: “the road east of Sacapulas is one of the most beautiful, and roughest mountain roads in all Guatemala, with magnificent scenery in the narrow valleys. Truck to Cobán … seven hours, if lucky, usually much longer”. (Footprint; Mexico and Central America 2000).
    Even though I had read this, I still went on this road. We considered to take another route, but it would be a detour, and we didn’t mind a rough trip. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We started out from Nebaj, by catching the bus to Sacapulas (1½ hour). It was full so we had to stand up most of the way. Then after waiting ½ hour, we got on a bus to Aspantan, this trip took 2 hours. After lunch here, we got a lift with a pickup to the next village, and after walking to the edge of this village, we got a lift with a truck, that drove all the way to Cobán (4 hours).
    The whole trip took very long time and it was late as we arrived to Cobán. We were tired, hungry and dirty. Since the road all the way had been dirt road, it was a very dusty trip, especially the last long part, where we sat back in an open truck. The truck that took us up, where owned by a family and they were heading home after visiting some relatives. Some of their kids also sat in the back with us. We also picked up other people along the way. This way the family earned some money for the gas (we paid around 10 quetzales for the trip with this truck).
    The roads were very poor, and at some point we drove 30 kilometers in two hours! Looking at a map, it only looks like the route is 100 kilometers long, but it takes very long time, but I think it is worth it, as one really get to see beautiful landscape and meet the locals.

On the truck from Nebaj to Cob��n

• Nebaj Hotels

0 Hotels in Nebaj

Nebaj Off The Beaten Path

by metteks Written Oct 8, 2005

From Nebja to Chahul we first got a ride with a truck to an intersection. Here we got of and walked on a poor dirt road to Chahul (took around 1 hour, I think).

In Chahul we felt like the monkeys of the Zoo. They obviously don’t get that many visitors here, as they stared at us very much. We were invited into private homes in small dark houses, to admire (and preferably buy) some of their handmade clothes with beautiful embroideries. They couldn’t really understand that I didn’t want to buy one, and that we don’t wear that kind of clothes in our countries. Then we walked to the market, it was a very local one, with no of those tourist things that one can see on markets in Guatemala.

In Chahul it was great to see all the woman at the market dressed in their beautiful traditional clothes.
    Going back to Nebaj we got a ride with a truck all the way (going another and longer way than the one we walked). On the way to Nebaj the truck got full of people, bringing all sorts of things in big bags, farm equipments etc., but it was a great way to see the life of the locals.

Houses on the way to Chahul The market of Chahul

Instant Answers: Nebaj

Comments

Nebaj Travel Guide
Map of Nebaj