What to pack for Haiti

by melosh
  • What to Pack
    by globetrott
  • on of the paintings I bought in P.o.Prince
    on of the paintings I bought in...
    by globetrott

Most Viewed What to Pack in Haiti

• melosh's Profile Photo

Are you going on a mission to Haiti?

by melosh Written Apr 4, 2013

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: This is a country where certain toiletries and medical supplies you may be comfortable with or need in an emergency may not be easily found. So enlarging you travel "medical kit" makes sense.

Miscellaneous: Share a Haitian story with Haitian children.
    Are you going where you will have contact with children? (It is hard to imagine that this would not be the case.) Then contact me about taking copies of my book SWAT that is written in English and Kreole. I probably can get you at least one copy free. For more, I would need some help with the shipping.

• Work Abroad
    • Religious Travel

• sherrillbland's Profile Photo

Spend the money....it's worth it

by sherrillbland Written Aug 14, 2009

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Get thee to a doctor, health department or passport health office for the necessary innoculations/pills before traveling to Haiti, it's worth every penny you'll spend on disease prevention...malaria, tetnus, etc. Also, stock up on over the counter meds for diarrhea and don't forget 40% deet insect repellent! I'd suggest a neckerchief soaked in cold water to wrap around your neck to help keep you cool....it's very hot there.

• Religious Travel

by globetrott Updated Apr 17, 2003

Miscellaneous: This Mahagony - statue was a souvenir I bought in Cap Haitien from one of the many children on the local market.
    One of my collegues from the cruise-ship M/S Sagafjord argued about the prize of this statue until the young man from Haiti agreed to the prize of 10,- US-$.
    And then he decided, he did not want the statue at all.
    When I saw the sad face of that kid, I decided to buy the statue myself.
    This statue serves me now in many ways, as it helps me to remember things, I would forget otherwise.
    Normally this statue is located in my living-room.
    But whenever I have to remember something important, I simply put the statue on one of the stairs in my home, and when I come home and meet that wooden friend from Haiti, I will remember again...That's why I call it WOO-DOO !!!

• Packing List

by eric.ri.usa Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Luggage with Locks and a backpack are a must.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Shorts, shorts, shorts. Old sneakers. A hat and sunglasses and a bandana for wiping the sweat.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Any and all, you'll have a hard time finding them there. Trust me.

Photo Equipment: You won't find batteries and you may have a hard time recharging anything. But do bring a camera. Definitely.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Backpack, water bottle, one of those portable fans (you know the ones that take one or two double A batteries, you'll thank me for this one.), pocketknife, flashlight, and anything else you would need to rough it.

Miscellaneous: Learn some Creole. It is not very hard and is much like French. The people are very freindly for the most part and love it when you greet them in their language.

by globetrott Written Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: This mahagony-dish is the smallest - and therefore it was not too big for my scanner - of plenty of pieces of that kind ,I have bought in Haiti. It has the form of a tropical leave and makes a great bowl to put in fruits or crackers of different sorts.

by globetrott Updated Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: The statue shows a man smoking a pipe. He has a scyth in the other hand.
    This is not a photo, but I simply put the statue into my scanner and left the top open.And the scanner had one of it's really rare great moments - and scanned it ! ( WOO DOO again ? )

by globetrott Written Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: ...plenty of children offer the tourists at the gangway of the cruise-ships, to help them with the shopping, carry home their goods, just for a small tip. - I first tried to avoid this, but it is practically impossible to go a few steps without beeing asked again, and again, and again...
    Better take someone nice, who is not talking tooooo much - they always have done their 'job', and never argued about the tip they finally got.

by globetrott Updated Apr 17, 2003

Miscellaneous: This mahagony turtle is now used to have peanuts served at the table...

It makes a great surprise, whenever I have new guests

by globetrott Updated Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: Mahagony-carvings like this fish are to be found in a big variety. Carving and selling these souvenirs is the main income for many families, who otherwise would have no chance at all to survive.

by globetrott Updated Aug 25, 2002

Miscellaneous: This mahagony-turtle is one of my favorite souvenirs. I actually bought 4 of them and have given all others to members of my family as a present. This turtle is used as a dish to serve peanuts.

Haiti Hotels

Delmas Hotels
Cayes Jacmel Hotels
3 Reviews - 14 Photos

Instant Answers: Haiti

Comments

Haiti What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Haiti what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haiti sightseeing.
Map of Haiti