Fun things to do in Haiti

beach
    beach
    No diving sign

Most Viewed Things to Do in Haiti

• ArenJo's Profile Photo

Cite Soleil

by ArenJo Written Jan 19, 2014

All I have to say is go with someone that is Haitian and that you can trust.
    This was once considered to be the worst slum in the world.
    You still need permission from the gangs to be able to get out of the car there. And people do get very angry if you are taking pictures, so watch what you are doing.

Selling their goods Water area Market Police station Building that the UN shot up in the past

Hammock Time

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

Find me a hammock and I'm there. No matter where we travel lately; I manage to find a hammock. Nothing is better than a relaxing swing or nap in a hammock. My wife and i enjoy having our hammock time while listening to the crashing surf.

Buccaneer Children's Park

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

Labadee had a large children's playground called the Buccaneer's Children's Park. This is where a majority of the kids gathered on the island. The big draw seemed to be the water activities and the pirate theme...I can understand that..I love Pirates.

Relax on the Beach

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

A relaxing day on the beach is always good in my book. Our day at Labadee began with some relaxing time on a lounge chair under some Palm trees enjoying the water views. I really enjoying being able to truly forget about work and get into vacation mode. After the first ten minutes on the beach I was feeling so good and ready for a little nap; which I took for some time before heading into the water with my wife.

Taking a little nap on the beach My wife and I being lazy on the beach Liz realxing after her swim The view Shady palm trees

Take a Dip in the Crystal waters

by cjg1 Updated Jan 11, 2012

The water of Labadee was quite nice. One side of the island was calm clear water and the other side had the same clear water but with a crashing surf. We enjoyed swimming and relaxing in the calmer waters. The surf side was better for relaxing on a beach chair; enjoying the sound of the waves. It was a nice time just being with my wife.

My wife enjoying the calm waters So crystal clear...

• sherrillbland's Profile Photo

Visit an Orphanage

by sherrillbland Written Aug 14, 2009

I was part of a mission team in Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti and I spent my time helping to build bunk beds for the two mission homes that host missionaries. I also shared duties at a mobile clinic in a nearby town for over 100 people seeking medical attention. But the best part for me was visiting the children's orphanage in the small town of Croix des Bouquet. Although we spoke different languages, the children certainly made it easy to communicate. They want to hold your hand, touch your skin, play with your hair. Their smiles are unbelievable and will melt your heart. They share their games with you, I played jacks...but with stones, not a bouncy ball which I found makes it really difficult, but they were good at it! There are definitely some major league soccer players there and they totally enjoyed making us look like we were standing still on the soccer field! And they LOVE cameras....they want to pose and then want to look at the pictures you took! The worst part is having to leave. I think it's harder for the visitors than it is for the kids. When you do finally leave, you know you've been changed....for the better.

This little lamb and I become fast friends Richard is a kid magnet.
    • Religious Travel

• melosh's Profile Photo

Hiatian Art

by melosh Written Jun 22, 2009

Art is to Haiti what music is to Jamaica. It permeates its recent history. You can see it in the religious traditions and local festivals. Terms like "primitive, naive and self-taught" are used to designate the freshness found in some of the best of Haitian art. There is the full spectrum of works from craft copies or imitative copies to originals from people who have made a name for themselves with their creativity.

The activity of trying to discover Haitian art is still one of most exciting things you can do. Despite the recent economic struggles of Haiti there are still a good number of extensive galleries in Port au Prince and Petainville. At some point you will face the issue of what is art and what is just craft. The largest collection of cheap art craft is on one side of the main plaza in Petainville. There is also a fairly large selection on a plaza near the US embassy.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Get out and walk the roads.

by Beausoleil Written Feb 15, 2009

We took public transportation to Kenskoff and then walked through the market and all around the town looking at the lovely colonial architecture and the mountain views from the roads. I caught this photo of women walking to market with their wares in baskets on their heads.

This is a pretty common sight and you wonder how they manage to keep everything balanced so neatly on their heads but I've never seen anything fall, even with very young girls.

Women walking to market in Kenskoff

• Dreaming-of-Italy's Profile Photo

Keep a Journal

by Dreaming-of-Italy Written Jun 7, 2008

While in Haiti, or any other country for that matter, keeping a journal of what you have done there or what you have seen and explored is a great idea. I did it and enjoy looking back at it every once in a while.

• Horseback Riding in Milot, Outside of Cap- Haitien

by soloexit Written Jun 7, 2008

The Northern side of Haiti is my personal favorite when in Haiti. The great beaches like Cormier Plage, and Labadee are surreal. Visiting Milot is a must just for the scenery and horseback riding up to the Citadel. When in Milot you get the real peaceful feeling of the provinces outside the Capital PAP and get to mingle with the very friendly locals. Unfortunately there aren't any formal dining restaurants and hotels as of yet, and the road condition is terrible. But besides these minor setbacks I highly recommend a day trip to Milot.

• Horse Riding

• lisa42088's Profile Photo

Baptist Mission

by lisa42088 Written May 2, 2008

The Baptist Mission is a really cool place to visit. It is a church, clinic, restaurant, zoo, school and store in one. It is located in Fermathe which is up in the mountains above Port-au-Prince. The church service is really long and all in Creole, but a neat experience. The food at the restaurant is all safe to eat. The salad was really good (especially because they are not big vegetable eaters there)! And the store has "Haitian vanilla" which is like vanilla extract but really strong. It tastes really good when you cook with it, so I recommend buying some to take home with you! The store also has a lot of crafts and artwork to buy.

• Religious Travel

• captainkidd79's Profile Photo

kayaking

by captainkidd79 Written Feb 11, 2007

$35 usd dollars and a very cool little trip. the guide will take you along the haitian coast telling your about local customs and some general country info. when they take you to shore to get off the kayak don't get off. hang out in the water and wait for them to be done. its a trap and they have u beach your kayak and the locals bring your kayak ashore then they demand you to buy something for them helping you with the kayak. i think its a good idea to help them becuase there avg. annual salary is $225usd. but be aware if you don't wanna be pressured into buying stuff.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

Labadee Historic Walking Tour

by KarenandCory Written Dec 31, 2006

The Historic Walking Tour in Labadee was the most interesting and fascinating of all exursions I took during my Royal Carribean Western Carribean cruise.
    The first thing our guide did was draw a map in the sand of where we were, making sure we all knew we were in Haiti. On his last tour there were 7 people who had no idea they were in Haiti. After all, Royal Carribean advertises "Labadee" as a private island in Hispaniola. It's actually leased by Royal Carribean and is part of mainland Haiti.

Once we all knew where we were, we were off for our relaxed paced walk. We learned about the history of Haiti and heard tales of pirates and bucaneers.

Most intriguing of all was learning about the prevalence of Voodoo in Haiti. Our guide told us about an ex-girlfriend of his who kept a towel that they had used during a lovemaking session in her closet. When he found out after they had broken up that she still had the towel, he thanked her for not using it against him.
    I got the sense that some of the people on our tour did not care for this story. One guy asked in an amused voice about zombies-- our guide was visibly annoyed that some did not take the voodoo seriously and the tour quickly concluded here. The group of 4 that I was with could have talked about the subject all day and I was disappointed not to hear more.

You are in Haiti

• haitiangirl's Profile Photo

eat season fruits

by haitiangirl Updated Apr 19, 2005

It's mango season now (in April). Take the time to discover our many mango varieties.

Actually I would suggest you try out as many varieties as possible until you find one that you really like. The season has just started and we have the tastiest mangoes in the world, really! :))

Most varieties (not all) turn, at least partially , either yellow/orange or a reddish color when they are ripe. Look and touch them to feel if they don't have damaged spots or holes(!). Caracteristics may vary depending on the variety of mangoe but in general they aren't supposed to be either too soft or too hard (unless you want to keep them for a few day before you eat them).

It's probably superfluous but I will add that you must wash them carefully before you eat them for they get dirty on their journey from the tree to your hands.

• Work Abroad
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• dunearn20's Profile Photo

Hotel Oloffson

by dunearn20 Written Dec 11, 2004

This great Hotel is now only a shadow of its own , but at least it is still there! Known from Graham Greenes Novel "The Comedians" it is an architechtural beauty, now also famous for the concert of RAM every Thursday night.

Hotel Oloffson
    • Architecture

Haiti Hotels

• Moulin Sur Mer

Tropical paradise . . . This is more than a hotel. It's a resort with a wonderful beach. The bar...

• Kaliko Beach Club

Cote des Arcadins, KM 61, P.O. Box 1670, Gonave Bay, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Caribbean

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Business

• Hotel Cyvadier

This hotel is beautiful and private, very well kept and clean; the staff and service is amazing. The...

Top Haiti Hotels

Jérémie Hotels
Cayes Jacmel Hotels
3 Reviews - 14 Photos

Instant Answers: Haiti

Comments

Haiti Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Haiti things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haiti sightseeing.
Map of Haiti