Tela Local Customs

Don Virgilio's recovery
    by staindesign
    Soldiers in the parade
    by Pieter11
  • The fire guards in the parade (I think...)
    The fire guards in the parade (I...
    by Pieter11

Most Recent Local Customs in Tela

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Independance Day

by Pieter11 Written Jan 17, 2008

A young girl in the parade

Like everywhere in Central Amerika, the national Independance Day in Honduras is celebrated at the 15th of September. This day in 1820, all the Spanish colonies in the area got their independance. And still, every year this is celebrated with festivals all over the country, in every country in Central America.

At the 15th of September in 2007, I was in Tela. There I saw the way they celebrate it here. An enormous parade that walked through the streets of the town, with every group of people that have any position in the social life represented: the army is there with some of their soldiers carrying the flags of all the Central American countries. All the schoolclasses in the area are present, all dressed in white and blue suits and all making their own music and marshing on it.

And then there are many more groups: the police, the fireguards, the sportsclubs etcetera. The streets are quickly filled with people when the parade comes by and it really is a nice thing to see. When you are in the area at the 15th: definitely make time to see the Independance Day festivities!

• Festivals

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Lazy days...

by staindesign Written Dec 7, 2006

Don Virgilio's recovery

I found this great picture of the father of my friend. I saw many people relaxing in Tela. It is so hot that you have to spend a good amount of time recovering. In his case, he likes to party and this was him recovering from too much beer!

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Public Pools

by staindesign Written Sep 21, 2005

They have 2 public pools in Tela. One at a hotel close to Telamar and another at a Teacher's resort. But i saw this sign and I thought it was really strange. Not to pee anywhere but the bathroom seems obvious to me, but hey maybe they have a problem with that. I was told by some locals they put the signs up because people just apparently pee where ever they want? hahahaha!

• Water Sports

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

FOLK DANCING

by kiwigal_1 Written Mar 27, 2003

Folk dance Costume

When I was in Tela I attended the Triunfo de la Cruz High School. A school friend was a member of the local folk dancing group. Here is a picture of her, myself (in school uniform) and my friends. Folk dancing wasn't something I saw very often during my time in Tela but was interesting nonetheless.

• Festivals
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Tela

Comments

Tela Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Tela local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tela sightseeing.