La Tigra Travel Guide

La Tigra Things to Do

by Sininen Updated Oct 28, 2007

I followed the instructions and turned left and ended to a small house. The family came to see what was happening when their dog was barking madly and found me in the garden. I explained that I was looking for La Cascada and they told me how to get there. I understood perfectly well but maybe I looked lost and they asked their daughter, who was about 8 years old, to lead me there. I wasn't happy at all because I didn't want a guide, but they didn't listen to me. So I followed the girl, who climbed like a mountain deer and had to stop to wait for me all the time. We arrived in the sight-seeing point and stopped there to enjoy the view and had some water. Shortly we continued and I was getting really annoyed, because she nearly run and I would have liked to walk slowly and admire the surroundings and take photos in peace. We came to a small waterfall and I told her that she could go back home and she admitted that she was tired and bit hungry, so I gave her the remains of the yesterday's pizza I had taken with me and which was supposed to be my lunch. I thanked her and off she rang happily.

I came to what I thought was La Cascada, though till today I am not sure, and knew that I would not go any further. My feet refused to take another step and I still had to go back 3 km to the gates, 4 km to the village and 2 km to the mainroad. The falls were nice but not anything spectacular. I sat and had my feet in the water before I head back. It was mostly downhill and I was pleased about it for a while.

If I hadn't been so tired and if the trail hadn't been so rocky and going up and down all the time, which meant that I had to look at my feet most of the time, I would have enjoyed the cloud forest much more. It was amazing and I was thinking of all the wild animals, which could hear and see me though I had no clue where they were hiding. Pumas for instance. I really would ahve loved to see one of them!

by Sininen Updated Jan 29, 2006

With lots of information and advice from the receptionist in my hotel I left for La Tigra. Bus took me near to a little village of San Juancito, a walk of 2 km downhill from the junction. Weather was perfect, warm but not hot and wherever I looked at I saw breathtaking views. Rolling hills, which were covered with thick vegetation, bushes in bloom, little river running through the village and pretty whitewashed houses with red brick roofs. The man in the reception had told me that I could either walk to the gates of La Tigra or phone from the village to a German who would take me there in his 4W. I decided to walk to be able to enjoy the scenery more. Before the climb I however went to the local shop to buy some orange juice. I had 10 lempiras note but the man didn't have enough change so I could only buy a small one.

by Sininen Written Jan 29, 2006

Soon enough I realised that it was more difficult to walk down. I came to the small falls, then the the view point and soon after that I was lost again. I walked and walked and the road was nearly covered with grass so no cars were driving often there. I saw coffee plantations and houses down in the valley, but I knew I had not been there before. I just took one step after another and refused to panic, though I could imagine myself walking until dark and after that. Finally I saw two men working on the road and went to ask them where I was. They were surprised to see me. They showed me the way to the gate which I had passed but from the direction I came from it was easily missed. I finally arrived to the gates and was so happy. I sat there and talked with the girl. She still didn't have the change for me and was really upset about it. It wasn't much money and I could have let her have it, but I didn't want to make her feel that she owed me. Finally she shyly asked if I would accept a bottle of water as change and I did. I still had to walk to the village and it was painful. Every step sent waves of pain to my knees and I nearly cried. Yet there was no other way so with guts I kept going. Down in the village I felt really great. I went to the same shop as in the morning to buy orange juice but he still didn't have change! He couldn't believe that I had actually walked all the way up to the gate and back to the village. The walk to the main road was easy. I sat in the bus stop waiting for the bus when a pickup stopped and asked if I needed a lift, so in I went and they took me to the hotel and didn't even take any money from me. That night I was no good for anything. I had a hot showed, massaged my feet and legs and took it easy. But I felt so good - I had done it!

Instant Answers: La Tigra

Comments

La Tigra Travel Guide
Map of La Tigra