The marketplace is somewhat between La Merced and Parque Central. We found it rather sleepy, but still alive enough for purchase of some fruit. Part of the pleasure of Comayagua is simply walking around the narrow colonial era streets.
Located on the plaza of it's name, this church was built in 1550 when Comayagua gained its status as a capital of the region, and for over a century, this mission style church was the bishopric. Sadly for us, the church was closed, so we couldn't see the locally made altar.
The other important and actually much older plaza is at Parque La Merced. Many of these historic structures has been saved and restored for businesses. The historically important La Merced church appears in some need of restoration, however.