Puerto Cortez Travel Guide

View from my hotel
    by Srechko
    Cleaning the fish - feeding the pelicans
    Fresh fish

Puerto Cortez Transportation

• Finally something exciting - boat to...

by Srechko Written Feb 8, 2007

The reason why I got into Puerto Cortes was to find the boat that goes to Belize. I was extremely lucky as I accidentally arrived to town on Monday, and the boat to Belize goes only on Tuesdays - weekly. Finding the port was a challenge (as everything else in Honduras). As my receptionist said, the port is located 1/2 hour away by walk from the center. As I walked in the port direction, I saw nothing resembling an international port. For some reason, I expected to see some signs directing me towards the port or that I will see boats that will be an indication I am in the right place. Of course I saw none of that (when will I learn) - but I saw an interesting fish market. As I was looking around and smelling the fish, one guy approaced me and asked if I wanted to go to Belize. How did he know???? Well they always do in Latin America - they read me like a book. Anyway he gave me all the info, and I was at the same place at 11am tomorrow. The boat did not leave until 1pm but I did not care as I had fun there, looking at fisherment bringing all kinds of fish and talking to locals and other passengers.

Boat finally left at 1pm, ride was phenomenal, in 2 hours of speedy ride we made it to Belize - unforgettable experience!!!

On the boat to Belize Waiting for boat to Belize Waiting for boat to Belize Waiting for boat to Belize

Instant Answers: Puerto Cortez

Comments

Puerto Cortez Travel Guide
Map of Puerto Cortez