Isla de Roatán Restaurants

by Jetgirly

Most Recent Restaurants in Isla de Roatán

• Eagle Ray's: Great meal in beautiful setting

by apierce718 Written Mar 27, 2008

just got back from roatan, stayed in west end and ate at Eagle Ray's twice -- seems little known and we loved it! the salads were super fresh, as was the fish. the whole fish was great, and the seafood kebab was amazing - huge pieces of lobster and fish, lots of shrimp, all sizzling from the grill. compared to a lot of the overpriced options in west end, i thought their prices were really reasonable, especially considering how enormous the portions are. easily sharable.

when the power was out, we ate by latern and had fast, great service. they don't do a good job of letting people know that they still serve dinner when the lights are out, but as a result, we had their beautiful deck over the water all to ourselves.

To top off a great meal (and really strong cocktails!), we even spotted a huge eagle ray swimming around the restaurant! so cool.

• The Fish & Chips Cart: Don't Go There

by Jetgirly Updated Feb 10, 2008

Don't Do It!

No matter how badly you crave fish and chips in West End, don't eat at the fish and chips van that parks in front of Woody's grocery. I will admit that I was drawn by the promise of mushy peas and ended up purchasing an entire order of fish and chips, most of which I did not eat. However, later, on TWO separate occasions I heard locals discussing the fact that the van turns off its generator at night and the food sits there all night without proper refrigeration. Don't risk it.

• Sundowner's: Drink- Don't Eat!

by Jetgirly Written Feb 9, 2008

Sundowner's is a popular restaurant/bar that becomes much more popular when the sun actually goes down. Right on the beach at Half Moon Bay, they have fantastic views of the setting sun from their sunchairs (hint: don't forget the DEET!). I went there once at night and had a great, strong cocktail called a Monkey La La (a local favorite)... one of these guys after a day of diving put me straight to sleep. I returned a few days later for a quick lunch before a dive, and ordered a veggie quesadilla. The thing that arrived at my table may well have been the grossest piece of food I have ever seen. The quesadillas were filled with what appeared to be neon orange liquid cheese from a squeeze tube, then topped with canned tomato saucy salsa. Vegetables? They'd never been within a mile of that dish. I literally could not pick up a piece without liquidy cheese dripping everywhere and weird tomato sauce that wasn't really salsa getting all over my hands. I requested a knife and fork, but even that didn't help much. Really, it was just a mess.

Come to Sundowners as the sun is settling, get nice and drunk, then be on your way. Eat elsewhere.

• Beaches

• Pura Vida: Pseudo-Italian Fusion?

The Restaurant

I think that Pura Vida aims to be an Italian restaurant, but tourist demographics mean that they're opting to veer all over the culinary map in order to make a quick dollar. The food isn't bad but it isn't great, and the menu lacks a unifying theme.

The first time I went to Pura Vida was for dinner on one of my first nights in town. It was a quiet night in West End and I wasn't having much luck using the old "eat where there are lots of people" trick. I opted for Pura Vida because there were two other couples there. The menu had some pizzas, pastas, salads and sandwiches, but few vegetarian choices. I selected the vegetarian panino, and because I thought it didn't come with any sides I asked for some fried plantain chips on the side. When the food arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the sandwich came with a small side salad. However, the panino itself was a disappointment. The bread was much too thick for the small amount of vegetable filling, resulting in a very dry, chewy sandwich. The plantain chips were also on the dry side, and would have benefitted from some dipping sauce or something.

My second visit to Pura Vida came on my last morning on the island. I had been hoping to go to Rudy's for banana pancakes, but I found they were closed (I think it was a Saturday). Instead, I decided to give Pura Vida a second shot and chose their chocolate pancakes. Again, the pancakes were a little bit dry, but the smoothie (papaya-melon) was AWESOME. I think it may have been more of a sugary milkshake than a smoothie, but who cares? Anyone who can make fruit taste that good deserves a gold star in my opinion.

In short, visit Pura Vida for a smoothie/milkshake and choose another place for your food. There are lots of much better choices in West End.

• Study Abroad

• Argentinian Grill: A Great Spot for Everyone!

Grilled Vegetables

As a vegetarian, I didn't have very high hopes when I sat down at my hotel's restaurant, called The Argentinian Grill. The menu offered me several salads and two vegetarian mains: a grilled vegetable and rice platter or vegetarian lasagna. Dreaming of the superb grilled vegetable dishes I used to eat in Italy, I opted for the former. Immediately after placing my order the power went out, and we sat in the dark for the next ten minutes with only the light of the grill to illuminate the restaurant. In the dark, I was treated to their wonderful homemade herb bread, which was soft and chewy and perfectly flavoured. I was very surprised when mere moments after the power came back on I was served a massive plate of freshly grilled vegetables, thoroughly coated in high-quality olive oil. The vegetables (onions, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes and corn) were delicious and arranged perfectly around a little tower of white rice. I asked for a side of their delicious homemade chimichuri sauce for dipping.

I heard through the grapevine that they had a to-die-for dessert, so I returned to the restaurant several nights later for a light dinner: their house salad and their famous crepe. The salad was bigger than it looked, with a great variety of fresh vegetables. However, the crepe was truly a stand-out, stuffed with fresh coconut and topped with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream (and, possibly, caramelized goats milk... I'm not sure if that was really part of the meal or if I'm just having caramelized goats milk fantasies).

No matter how you look at it, the Argentinian Grill has great choices for everyone (even vegetarians), very friendly staff and a great, candlelit atmosphere (check the photos)! I would highly recommend it.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• Casa Calico: Decent Breakfasts - Sneak in Your Laptop!

Island Breakfast

Casa Calico is a hotel on the outskirts of West End (midway between Posada Las Orquideas and Posada Arco Iris), with a little restaurant that is only open for breakfast. Honduras Tips suggested that it was a must-visit breakfast locale, so I checked it out on one of my last days on the island. I chose the island breakfast, which came with eggs, cheese, beans and plantains. While the beans were good, everything else was decidely mediocre. My eggs were partly overcooked and partly undercooked, the plantain was a bit soggy, and the cheese was borderline inedible. It looks like the hotel has wireless internet for guests, and I think you might be able to log on to if you sneak your laptop in for breakfast. Casa Calico's kitchen is open from 8 to 11 daily.

• Bite on the Beach: Dining in the Sun

by Jetgirly Written Feb 9, 2008

Bite on the Beach is somewhat famous on Roatan. The previous owner, Dian, now runs Dian's Garden of Eat'n between West Bay and West End. The new owners are doing a great job, and while the food may not be particularily unique or exotic, it is very good. For lunch, I had a dinner-sized salad that was loaded with tons of fresh vegetables and came served with homemade dressing. It was one of the better salads I ate in Honduras, and it was DEFINITELY one of the better views. Bite on the Beach lives up to its name, located on the end of West Bay beach. You don't even need to put on shoes to get there (I went barefoot!), but covering up your bathing suit with a shirt and shorts would be appropriate.

• Le Bistrot: Vietnamese and Thai on Roatan

Jumbo Vegetarian Spring Rolls

Le Bistro is located on the second floor of a building with great sea views, right beside Tyll's Dive Shop. The menu features Vietnamese and Thai specialities, and the food is as authentic as you can get with the limited resources on the island. My meal started with vegetarian spring rolls, which ended up being HUGE and could have been a meal in themselves. The dipping sauces left a bit to be desired, but the rolls themselves were great. After my spring rolls I realized I had forgotten to take my malaria medication, so I paid for my entree in advance so that I could run back to my hotel and eat my medication as soon as my meal was over. The staff seemed a little confused, but they were accommodating (really, why wouldn't they want to take my money?). My main course was a vegetarian green curry, which was great. I couldn't identify all of the ingredients, but I didn't have to because it was so good. It wasn't overly spicy but the flavours were very rich and had a great depth. Overall, it was a very good vegetarian meal and I would say that if there are two restaurants you must check out in West End, Le Bistro would be the perfect second choice (after Ooloonthoo).

• Cannibal Cafe: Enormous Portions of Tex-Mex via Honduras Classics

Chimichanga

If you haven't eaten in a week, make Cannibal Cafe your first stop. This restaurant in the heart of West End serves up gigantic portions of Tex-Mex classics, such as burritos and chimichangas, all touched with the limited ingredients found fresh on Roatan. Expect lots of green peppers, onions and tomatoes, and not so much corn, squash or fresh herbs. Despite the rather repetitive ingredient lists, the food here is actually good. The burritos are monstrous, and the restaurant has a little deal going on: eat three of their huge burritos in an hour, and they're all free! The chimichangas are even "worse" - they're essentially just deep-fried versions of the popular burritos (no eat three, eat free deal here though)!

While you're there, check out the freaky rodent kept in a cage at the back of the restaurant, and pose for a photo with the scarecrow-like character perched at the front of the restaurant.

• Rudy's: Heaven-Sent Pancakes

by Jetgirly Written Feb 9, 2008

Banana Pancakes (and my textbook for school)

Rudy's opens at some insanely early hour like 6:30 am, just to start dishing up their famous pancakes to divers heading out on the morning boats. There is a reason people flock to this restaurant long before the sun even rises: BANANA PANCAKES. Simultaneously light, fluffy and as filling as a brick, these pancakes are the whole reason God invented breakfasts. As you'll see in my photo, I opted for an accompanying mango-papaya smoothie (served without so much as a rolled eye, despite mangoes being out of season [see my tip re: Monce's]) that came in a cup about ten sizes too small.

This is Honduras we're talking about, and Rudy's is pretty much an open-air restaurant (GREAT hummingbird watching), so be prepared for a few little bugs crawling around on your table and chairs. They are definitely not enough to detract from the pancakes, though!

• Monce's: Perfect Breakfast Smoothies

Monce's

Something about Monce's kept me coming back. It might have been the owner's eye-rolling at my request for a mango smoothie ("mangoes aren't in season, dear") or her frustration with my paying with 100-lempira notes for 55-lempira smoothies... or it might just have been the kick-ass fruit smoothies she dishes up on demand. You have your choice of SEASONAL fruits (and some vegetables, like carrots) made into juice or a smoothie. Take the smoothie route and choose whether you want milk or water, and sugar or none. Ask for a dash of vanilla if you like things a little sweeter. Get your smoothie to go and drink it on your beach chair (if you're staying at Posada Arco Iris) or on your beach towel (if you're staying elsewhere). Monce's also has light breakfasts and lunches.

• Ooloonthoo: "The Best Indian in the Western Hemisphere"

Ooloonthoo

If you eat only one meal on Roatan, make it at Ooloonthoo in West End. The newspaper in Vail, Colorado calls it "the best Indian in the Western Hemisphere" and it's also been mentioned in the New York Times. Run by a truly friendly couple (she's from India, he's from Canada but studied cooking in India), Ooloonthoo dishes up Indian cuisine using fresh local ingredients and secret blends of imported spices. The night I was there, every single person in the restaurant was eating the vegetable thali. That must say something!

The waitress/hostess/owner came out at the beginning of our meal and talked to us a bit about the vegetables that they had selected for our meal. According to my notes, my thali contained the following vegetables: curried cauliflower and peas, grilled eggplant in a tomato sauce, curried potatoes, cabbage cooked almost to caramelization, a carrot slaw with mustard seeds, homemade yogurt, sweet tomato chutney, spicy pineapple chutney and curried ooloonthoo (black) lentils. The yogurt was out-of-this-world, and every single one of the vegetables was cooked and seasoned to perfection, with a unique spice blend (no two curries were the same). I had mine with a glass of delicious vanilla lemonade, and on my second visit I treated myself to the chocolate bread pudding as well (good, but it would have been even better served warm). The total cost for a non-alcoholic drink, dinner and dessert was about $45.

My two dinners at Ooloonthoo rate as two of my Top Ten most memorable meals ever. I can't recommend the restaurant and it's friendly staff enough. Really- you'd be missing out if you chose not to check it out. Currently, Ooloonthoo is open Monday to Friday from 6 to 9. They suggest making reservations, but if you're there right at opening you should be fine. Oh, and watch out for geckos on the ceiling!

• Luxury Travel

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Socrefice Restaurant & Bar: Island Mom's Cooking

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 17, 2007

My Lunch at Socrefice Restaurant & Bar

We were on the remote north shore of Roatan when it our stomachs told us it was time for lunch, so I asked our guide to recommend a place. He took us to one of the only restaurants in the area , Socrefice Restaurant and Bar. For us, it was a winner - both for it's authentic island atmosphere and the delicious food.

It is a very basic eatery - just six tables in an open sided dining room with six chairs and plastic chairs. The metal roof is held up by open 2x4 wooden rafters and a single bare frosted light bulb hangs from the ceiling. The views out over the Caribbean are awesome.

At the time of our visit the only customers besides us were two young couples for Italy.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the fried fish and plantains. It was well presented (head still on the fish) and served with a cool fresh salad. The price was reasonable but a little more than I would have expected for a place that didn't even have running water. Still we rate our lunch there a great experience.

• UWCAVEMAN's Profile Photo

Ooloonthoo: Very good Indian food

by UWCAVEMAN Written Apr 25, 2007

A great place run by a husband wife team, Last time there was behind Woody's in west end but I heard they will be moving slightly toward Sandy Bay on the main road.

Favorite Dish: All have been good but beware if you do not like spicy, they can tone it down if you like

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Dian's Garden of Eat'n: Caribbean tasting food with an Asian flare

by TinKan Updated Nov 20, 2005

Dian's Garden of Eat'n

Dian’s Garden of Eat’n is located in the town of West-End which is on the north-west part of the island. People come from all over the world just to eat here and to meet with Dian. The food is FANTASTIC and you will not find any place like this in the world nor will you find any one like Dian any place in the world.

When you go here (and it is a must) you need to say hello to Dian and check out her new furniture shop next door to the restaurant.

Dian’s is open Monday to Saturday 5 pm to 9 pm with Sunday being a rest day like it is on most of the island. It is located in West-End.

Favorite Dish: SEAFOOD SEAFOOD SEAFOOD!!!! need I say more.

Instant Answers: Isla de Roatán

Comments

Isla de Roatán Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isla de Roatán restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Roatán sightseeing.

View all Isla de Roatán hotels