Isla de Roatán Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Isla de Roatán

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Andrew, TaxiMan Extraordinaire

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 11, 2004

Since we checked ahead on what to do on the port, and found CSI Roatan, we checked in with their directors and found out that for $10 USD a day we could basically have a personal driver during our whole time. Andrew was a personal tour guide, driving us to great shopping, dining, and beach activities throughout this huge island!

I would highly recommend his services! The easiest way to reach him is to just print out this tip with his picture, or go off the pier and ask for him!

• retiredjack's Profile Photo

TACA or Take A Chance Airlines

by retiredjack Updated Apr 27, 2004

The plane from Miami to Roatan

The best itinerary I found was American Airlines from Montreal to Miami then Taca from Miami to Roatan Honduras at $1200CDN. How simple can it get? But when I landed in Roatan My green suitcase was not there. After locating an airline representative (he was well camouflaged as an ordinary local – no uniform) he noted on a scrap of paper where I was staying, the phone number, a description of my bag and the baggage check ticket number.
    Having arrived on Sunday and calling the airline company every day until Friday to get only I don’t know, mañana or simply no answer, I paid the $40US return taxi ride from West Bay to the airport to claim my bag which I found out by the same Taca representative that it had been there for 3 days and they thought I would pick it up on my way back.
    The first thing I did when he handed my suitcase is to take out my sandals and a fresh Tee-shirt because I was barefoot, unshaven and pretty grungy looking. Then I left without being offered any compensation or even a “We are sorry”.

• UWCAVEMAN's Profile Photo

Taxi's and cruise ship days

by UWCAVEMAN Written Dec 26, 2003

From my house Taxis are pretty easy to get if you walk a few hundred yards down the road. Costs vary a lot depending on whether there are cruise ships there or not. Ask someone familiar with the Island what Taxis should cost before overpaying for a ride. We prefer to rent a car while there just because we are so used to be able to go where and when we want. Roads can be pretty bad at times. Be carefull if you do rent a car.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Cruise on into Roatan

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 11, 2004

NCL Sea

Roatan, to the dismay of the traditionalists of island travel, and to the excitement of cruisers will soon be overrun by more tourists as cruise lines realize how wonderful this port is.

I loved my time there, however it will be sad to see the small port town grow exponetially with cruise traffic. Luckily, the dive communities of West End and Half Moon should remain safe as the cruisers will not find this as easily!

We came in on Norweigan, but also saw Radisson Seven Seas there.

TACA Airlines

by TinKan Written Oct 10, 2003

Nice flight

TACA is the national airlines of Honduras and flies every day to and from the mainland and to many places in Centeral America and the United States.

TACA uses some small airplanes for the short flight to the main land and we found it to be loads of fun on the smaller aircraft. The windows were very large and the plane flew low so we were able to get some great views of the island.

Drive at your own risk

by UWCAVEMAN Updated Jan 5, 2005

Thankfully the truck still fit

If you are stopping by for a day from a cruise ship I would recomend just using a Taxi to get around, there are many waiting for you at the dock and you will be able to work out a very good price.
    Now if you are there a little longer and/ or more adventurous then the rental car is the way to go but please be very careful. Walking is a main mode of transportation so you need to look out for the people, cows, and horses that share the road. Also beware that the road that was fine in the morning may be very different after a heavy rain. Mud can be quite deep as well and there is no AAA auto club to come tow you out of a mess. I have included a picture of a surprise we met on the way to our house this last trip. Something we really never thought about.

Airport info

by TinKan Written Apr 1, 2003

RTB airport

When it get to be time to leave paradise make sure you get to the airport early so that you can check your bags and site in the waiting room.

The Resorts around the island take all of their guest to the airport around the same time so when it is busy it is real busy.

• Luxury Travel

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Private Car and Driver

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Theris and Enry Dixon with Karen

Knowing that we would only have one day on the Island of Roatan, and wanting to see as much as possible, Karen and I went online before departing on our trip to see if we could find a local guide. We discovered the website of Theris Dixon, a young woman, native to the island, who operates a small business: Roatan Day Tours. Theris promised us a car and driver for the day at a reasonable price. We made all of our arrangements with her by email.

When we disembarked at Coxen Hole Theris was there to meet us, and introduced us to Enry, her husband, who did an excellent job of showing us his island. Enry previously worked on cruise ships for about eight years and speaks very good English. We also found him to be very knowledgeable about things to see and do on Roatan.

It so happens that our day on Roatan was our fifth wedding anniversary, and I can't imagine a better way we could have celebrated it. We certainly do not hesitate to recommend Theris and Enry to others who are planning a visit to Roatan.

How to get around

by TinKan Updated Mar 9, 2003

Rental truck

The Island is easy to navigate by car, but please drive the roads in daylight before you drive them at night.
    There are several rental car agencies on the island -- including :
    Sandy Bay Rent-A-Car (504-445-1710)
    Toyota Rent-A-Car (504-445-1166).

Drivers are required to show a valid drivers license and a cash or credit card deposit.

The truck in the picture cost 65$ for the day.

There are also taxis and buses -- you should always negotiate the price for a taxi before leaving for your destination.

Most resorts will arrange transportation to and from the airport.

• Eco-Tourism

New Luggage Rules

by UWCAVEMAN Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just a note for those who may have traveled to Roatan or other areas aboard TACA Airlines. They recently changed their baggage policy and have new weight restrictions. Used to be 2 bags 70 lbs per person. Now is Max Weight per bag is still 70lbs but combined weight cannot exceed 100 lbs so if one bag is 70 the other can only be 30. It is getting more difficult for divers with camera equipment to travel. See link below to Taca info.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Roatan International Airport (RTB)

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 24, 2007

Roatan Air Traffic Control Tower

Although we arrived in Roatan by ship, it is also possible to fly to the Bay Islands. The Roatan International Airport is in Coxen Hole.

Direct flights are offered between Honduras and cities in North and Central America by TACA, LACSA, Delta, Continental Airlines, and Air Costa Rica. Direct flights to Roatan from Miami, Houston, and New Orleans are provided by TACA weekly.

Domestic air service from the Honduran mainland to Roatan is provided by Islena. Also, a new airline is currently being formed which will provide daily direct flights to Roatan from Miami and Houston, as well as providing domestic air travel.

• ChrisRJ's Profile Photo

Newark To Roatan - DIRECT!

by ChrisRJ Written May 22, 2008

Every Saturday (only) Continental flies one flight direct from Newark to Roatan, with no stop overs or plane changes. This is a huge plus when you look at all the layovers you may have to normally do getting to this part of the world. Big Plus!

• LaraAnn1081's Profile Photo

Local Bus Drivers

by LaraAnn1081 Written Feb 2, 2007

Watch out so that you don't go careening over a cliff! The local drivers zip around one lane roads that overlook the ocean, with no guardrails! There are frequently goats and cattle in the road. I was waiting for an accident. I can not describe my relief at still being alive!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Try the Magical Flying Beach Chair

by joiwatani Updated Oct 1, 2011

The Magical Flying Beach Chair is a fancy name for a lift that brings people to the Mahogany Beach for $12.00! I rather walk to the beach but what the heck, I tried it anyway. It was fun and besides, the view is spectacular!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Getting Around Roatan

by Jetgirly Written Feb 14, 2008

Walk This Way

There are several ways to get around Roatan. Most of the time, you should be able to get around by foot. Towns like West End only have one road (and it's not even paved!). To travel between towns, you can take a taxi, share a taxi or take a bus (which is really a minivan). Taxis are comfortable but fairly expensive, and on certain routes (like West End to the ferry terminal) they literally will not let you wait around for someone to share with. On most other routes, you can listen for the sound of a honking taxi to identify which taxis are open for sharing. These taxis cost a fraction of the price of a private cab, but significantly more than a bus. Busses run between the main towns on the island. As I mentioned, they are actually minivans and you need to be prepared to be sharing the van with up to TWENTY-FIVE other people!

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Isla de Roatán

Comments

Isla de Roatán Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla de Roatán transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Roatán sightseeing.

View all Isla de Roatán hotels