Isla de Utila Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Utila

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

ATMs in Utila - always get a receipt

by CEP1863 Written Feb 24, 2014

There are only two ATMs on Utila Island. Both are located on the Main Street, one is at the Banco Atlantida and the other is yards away near to the pharmacy.

Both machines accept a wide variety of cards. Make sure that you always go for the option that gives you a receipt. At busy times it is possible for the ATMs to run out of money. This happened to me. There was no warning on the machine and my transaction went through as normal except that I did not get any money. My bank account was however debited with the withdrawal. Luckily I had asked for a receipt and I was able to use this to reclaim my money once I had returned home.

ATM on Utila

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Sand flies - hungry little biters!

by CEP1863 Written Feb 14, 2014

I really love Utila but I found that the sand flies were a real problem as they see humans as a walking meal. They are particularly nasty at dawn and dusk and unfortunately they do not confine themselves to the beach. The only thing that seemed to keep them at bay was insect repellent with a really high DEET content. I am normally not too bothered by bites but I found that the sand fly bites were quite nasty. If you are planning to go out for a meal around sunset then I really would recommend wearing a long sleeved top and lightweight pair of trousers.

Sand fly bites

• CulturalCompetence's Profile Photo

Photos for PADI certification

by CulturalCompetence Written Aug 18, 2004

If you are planning to complete a PADI certification while you are in Utila, work on getting your photo on your first day. You can get a photo at a reasonable price at Howell's Internet, however it takes several hours for them to process the photos (we are accustomed to 1-hour service at max.). Beware of wearing your sunglasses when you have the photo taken (the lady at Howell's told us to keep them on). PADI will not accept photos with hats or sunglasses. We ended up having to e-mail digital photos from home (which delayed our certification).

• Beaches

• CulturalCompetence's Profile Photo

Sand Fleas (no-see-ums!)

by CulturalCompetence Written Aug 18, 2004

Many people complain about the sand fleas (commonly known as "no-see-ums!"). You can avoid the sand fleas by visiting Utila during July or August when there is a nice breeze. The insects aren't around when there is wind. If you are there during a time when it isn't windy, you can douse yourself with Deet....

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Isla de Utila

Comments

Isla de Utila Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla de Utila warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Utila sightseeing.

View all Isla de Utila hotels