La Campa Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do

La Campa Things to Do

by calcaf38 Updated Jul 26, 2009

The San Matias church was built in the late 1600s, and renovated in 1938. Sparkling white under the azure skies, and with a patch of cloud forest in its backyard - complete with a quick-flowing creek - this church could stand as the very essence of Western Honduras.

by calcaf38 Written Jul 26, 2009

La Campa is tiny, and if you take a few steps in any direction, you are in a beautiful natural environment. I found a path behind the San Matias church that was quite pleasant.

by calcaf38 Written Jul 26, 2009

There are 400 inhabitants in La Campa, and you can see the whole village in one hour. It is possible to find a bottle of water and a bag of snacks, but not much else. Allegedly, some pottery is produced in La Campa, but I couldn't find any trace of it.

La Campa Transportation

by calcaf38 Updated Jul 26, 2009

During my short time in La Campa, I was concerned that I would not find a ride, and would have to walk the 10 arduous miles back to Gracias. Honduras does not observe Daylight Savings Time, and night falls early there, so there was a strong chance I would have to hike back to town after dark.

However, I saw a bus in La Campa, and asked the driver if he was going to Gracias. He replied that he wasn't but pointed to a pickup truck nearby. I asked the pickup driver, and he nodded, so I climbed in the back where there was a young girl and a spare tire which made a fine seat.

Although I had already seen the landscape two hours earlier through the open windows of the bus from Gracias, it made much more impact when viewed from the back of the pickup truck. Once in town, I tapped on the roof of the cab to be left off. The cost was the same as for the bus: 20 Lempiras, a fraction more than a US Dollar.

by calcaf38 Updated Jul 26, 2009

In Gracias, I tried to find a ride to La Campa by positioning myself at the start of the (unpaved) road to La Campa. But there was no traffic at all, so after half an hour, I gave up.

I went to the bus station where I was told that the bus to La Campa would depart at 2:00, and that there would be no return bus to town that day.

La Campa is only 10 miiles from Gracias, so I decided I would find a way back to town, no matter what.

The bus was a very hot US school bus, and the ride took almost one hour, for approximately one Dollar.

• La Campa Hotels

0 Hotels in La Campa

Instant Answers: La Campa

Comments

La Campa Travel Guide
Map of La Campa