Tegucigalpa Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Tegucigalpa

• Mailo's Profile Photo

Thieves

by Mailo Written Feb 3, 2008

Delincuency is normal all around the world natiosn, so here you better watch your pockets, cameras, and wallests, pick pockers are waiting in the area near the popular markets, on the public transportation buses, and at nigth in dark an lonly streets and places. My advice.. just don't take any risk.

• Sininen's Profile Photo

BE AWARE!

by Sininen Updated Dec 14, 2005

It was late afternoon, bright daylight still when I decided to look for the typical restaurant my guidebook recommended. It was not too far from my hotel, in a side street, so I thought I'd walk there. When I was walking that street a man came towards to me and said "Buenos Dias" and gave his hand. At the time I didn't think anything strange about it because shaking hands is a typical way of greeting people in Central America. Only later I realised that he reached for my LEFT hand. He pressed my hand very hard and kept pressing harder until his nails broke my skin. I got very angry and could feel adrenalin rush through my veins! I wasn't thinking rationally and forgot all the advice I had ever read. I just knew that the man was hurting me and I had to protect myself. So I hit him with my right fist as hard as I could (not very hard I would imagine) and he let go off me. I think that my reaction surprised him so much that he just walked away. Only then I saw that the band of my watch was open so he was trying to steal it from me. It isn't a valuable watch at all so losing it wouldn't have been a big loss. I have always known that if somebody attacked me I would fight back even though I know that in some cases it is not the wisest thing to do. Anyway that incident managed to spoil my mood and I was quite nervous after that and kept to the main streets with lots of people around.

• Photography

• Sininen's Profile Photo

BEING STUPID!

by Sininen Updated Dec 5, 2005

This is not really a warning in Tegucigalpa as this happened when I was crossing the border from Honduras to Nicaragua in Las Manos. When entering Nicaragua you are supposed to pay $2 and I knew it. I had read the warning in my guidebook about customs men trying to earn some money, but I wasn't feeling well at all (no reason to be stupid though) and just wanted to get through as soon as possible, so when the man asked for $7 I paid it like a fool and didn't even suspect anything, when he showed me with big smile a stamp in my passport, which nobody else had done before that. Only on the bus to Ocotal I looked at the receipt I got from him. It said that I had paid $2 entrance fee!!! You pay for your stupidity my mum used to say and her words were proven right! Five dollars isn't that big money but cheating like that makes me feel really mad and it gives bad reputation also to people who don't deserve it and makes one suspect everybody.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Tegucigalpa

Comments

Tegucigalpa Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tegucigalpa warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tegucigalpa sightseeing.