Kingston Restaurants

Menu at Chilito's Mexican Restaurant

Most Recent Restaurants in Kingston

• Sweetwood Jerk Joint: Some of the best BBQ I've had

by mcbuckley Written May 11, 2012

A local on the street told me about this place, that was crowded with locals, and I seriously ate every single meal there until I left Kingston after eating here. Very simple place, order at one window, and pick up food wrapped in tinfoil at another. They've got their meats slow roasting covered over fire. The jerk rubs on the pork and chicken are so good, and it's seriously some of the juiciest chicken I've ever had. Pork is sort-of tough, not pulled, but still really good; more of a steak texture. Great sides too.

Favorite Dish: jerk chicken, festival, and roasted breadfruit.

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

Island Grill: Jamaican Fast Food

by RudoElCojonudo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Island Grill. Real Jamaican Jerk.

It's sth like a jamaican McDonald's. They cook the tipical menues, I mean, miniburguer, chips and soft drink, but you can also find things like roasted fish or jerk chicken with rice and beans.
    It's not the restaurant I would choice for my wedding but it isn't such a bad choice.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Chilito's Mexican Restaurant: Great choice for lunch

by toonsarah Updated Jun 11, 2008

Chilito's Mexican Restaurant, Kingston

After our visit to the Bob Marley Museum we voted to try out this small family-run restaurant, which had been recommended to Dave but he had not yet had a chance to visit. It was a great shout! Brightly painted, and set back from the road in a flowery garden, it appealed to us all right from the start, and the friendly service and tasty food lived up to our expectations. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a fancy spot to dine, but if you’re in the mood for fresh ingredients and hot Mexican spices, this is a great place to come for lunch or a simple dinner.

We all chose from the various lunch combos on offer, which all come with a choice of sodas and tortilla chips. Chris chose the chicken tacos while I went for the veggie burrito, each of which was US$7. We sat on the shady terrace to eat, but we could also have chosen the comfortable sofas inside (see photo 2) or one of the tables set in the garden. The food was delicious, and the large selection of hot sauces meant that we could all have it just as spicy as we liked.

We learned that the restaurant had been opened a couple of years ago by a brother and sister (half-Jamaican, half-Mexican) who had spotted a gap in Kingston’s restaurant market: there are plenty of ethnic restaurants such as Indian and Chinese, but as far as they could see no one had thought to open a Mexican one – so they did! They seem to be doing well and with good simple cooking like this, I can see why. Do check it out if you’re in the area and feel like a change from local cuisine.

• Cuddyz: eat whilst celeb spotting

by martincadogan201 Updated Mar 25, 2007

Having been working out here for the past 5 weeks, for the cricket world cup. I've sampled a number of eateries. Cuddyz for those of you with little knowledge of Jamaicas' national game of cricket, is the restaurant/bar of Courtney Walsh, a giant of a man who was a fantastic W.indies bowler, before retiring and setting up his business. The ambience is friendly and relaxed with sports showing on over head screens along with sporting memorabilia. The food is well presented they have a good variety at a reasonable price, I haven't had a bad meal there yet, and to top it off was introduced to him the other night which was a highlight for me!!! I eat and drink with a work colleague and it's never cost us more than J$2000 shared bill, and that's with plenty of red stripe for both!! I'm not sure of directions to it but it's not far off the main street of new kingston, if you ask EVRYONE knows where it is.

Favorite Dish: All the dishes have a sports theme, but I enjoyed the steak sandwich, which was very tasty.

• Adventure Travel

• planxty's Profile Photo

Gwong Wo, Kingston.: A very decent Chinese

by planxty Written Apr 10, 2005

Gwong Wo restaurant, kingston.

I was generally quite surprised by the numbers of Asian people in Jamaica, both Southern Asian and Chinese. This has led to there being a decent selection of Asian restaurants on the island.

I particularly like the Gwong Wo in Kingston. It is set upstairs in a particularly unprepossessing building (it looks like an office block) and the interior decor is pretty sparse, but the food is very good and the service, by Jamaican standards, not bad. It appears to be run by an Asian couple with Jamaican waiting staff.

take-away is available.

My only slight complaint is that the restaurant closes at 2100, quite early really.

Favorite Dish: My favouriite dish is the Malah pork at $420J. It is a spicy pork dish. I must admit, I have never seen dishes described as Malah before, but I saw both Malah pork and chicken in Jamaica. Perhaps it's a corruption of Malay pork - I don't know, but a google search fails to find anything for malah pork. Whatever it is, it's very tasty.

The hot and sour soup is also very good.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Juici Patties: Jamaican fast food

by Dabs Written Feb 16, 2005

We had spent a lot of time out at Lime Cay and poking around Fort Charles so it was already late afternoon by the time we discussed lunch and we decided to go for the quick option of patties which we had eaten on our previous trip to Jamaica.

This is a very inexpensive meal, patties are 40-45 Jamaican dollars ($60 JD to $1 USD).

Favorite Dish: Patties are a pastry shell filled with meat and vegetables, sort of like a pot pie that you eat with your hands.

I tried a chicken pattie and a lobster pattie, the chicken pattie was fairly spicy but I finished it off but by the time I got to the lobster pattie, my taste buds had worn out. My husband tried a meatloaf which was a pattie with thicker bread so I swapped with him and ate part of that. Two patties was more than enough for me.

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

Jamican Rum

by RudoElCojonudo Written Oct 13, 2005

It gives me powe!!!

Jamaican cane rum is one of the best rums of the world, so what else could I say?
    Don't come back home with out a pair of bottles of Appleton rum!!

Instant Answers: Kingston

Comments

Kingston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kingston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kingston sightseeing.