Dunn's River Falls, Ocho Rios

4.5 out of 5 stars 33 Reviews

The bottom of the falls near the beach
    by 807Wheaton
    Enjoying a stop in the pool
    Watching the climbers
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Dunn's falls

by solopes Updated Jun 9, 2014

Dunn

It's the top attraction of Ocho Rios, and maybe of Jamaica. Advertised as among the most famous falls in the world, we must be aware that it comes from the fun of climbing it, and not for its spectacularity.

There is no comparison for instance with Niagara or Iguaçu falls, but along its 180 meters there's always people laughing.

The water is cool (cold for Fernanda, but she risked to go), but you'll soon forget it.

The entrance for foreigners is US$15 but prepare tips for the guide, the guy that offers to carry your camera (and take pictures if you ask him), five dollars to rent the inevitable shoes, negociate a crazy film they will make with your group and... have fun

• Adventure Travel

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Climb Dunn's River Falls

by 807Wheaton Written Apr 28, 2012
    The bottom of the falls near the beach

There is a stairway that goes through the rainforest all the way down to the end of the falls. At the bottom is where the climbing can start. Although, when taking the stairs back up, there are places to stop and frolic in the water. It's COLD!
    Special shoes are needed to keep a grip on the river bottom - and the climbers go in tandem, in a human chain. There are always guides to take the climbers up to the top.
    At the bottom there is also a lovely beach with plenty of sand for sunbathing and safe swimming.
    There is also a craft market here and a picnic area so it is easily an all day place to visit.

• Birdwatching
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• malianrob's Profile Photo

by malianrob Updated Apr 10, 2009

So after you put your things in a locker you can start going out to the entrance of the river. You actually walk out to the beach then things got alittle confusing. I dont know if the entrance fee included a tour but we didnt buy any tour. The guides were telling us to hurry up and get together with the tour. We joined a group of about 12 other people. Our group was fun and quickly everyone makes friends and helps eachother go up the falls. Some parts are very slippery.
    We stay with this group the whole way up. There are two guides, one in front and one in the back. They also take pictures of everyone and video in case you want to purchase it later. The video on CD is $40 USD.
    After your first trip up you are on your own if you want to do it again.
    I think for little kids it might be a little dangerous or stressful. Like I wouldnt take my five year old here but the 12 and 13 year olds would be fine. There is a little area where the younger kids can hang out with a parent but I wouldnt recommend the falls for them. They can also hang out at the beach.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Dunn 's River Beach and Falls

by malianrob Written Apr 10, 2009

This was one of the first trips we took while in Jamaica and it was great. It was a bit of a drive from Negril but we made a few stops along the way and did some sightseeing so it didnt seem too bad.
    We were told to avod this place when the cruise ships come in because prices go up and it is incredibly packed with people. I dont know if we came on a day where there were no cruise ships but the majority of the people here appeared to be locals. There were some tourist but mostly locals I would say.
    As soon as you go in you can store your belongings in a locker. You can bring your own water shoes or purchase them there. You will definitely need some because as you climb the waterfalls there are alot of rocks. I did fall a few times but it wasnt too bad. It was alot of fun and when you reach the top you can go back and start again.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Dunns River Falls

by MikeBird Written Nov 7, 2008

Going up the Falls

The falls themselves are really very nice indeed. I went on a Sunday - significant because the cruise liners don't dock on Sundays - so it wasn't too crowded. Nor did I go with an organised tour so we had to pay for everything. I thought the entrance fee was quite high, but then there was the non-slip footwear (essential), the locker to store your stuff, the guide, the obligatory photo, the guide's tip, the photographer's tip and that was without buying any additional souvenirs in the craft village.

However I really did enjoy climbing up the Falls, sploshing around and chatting to some of the other visitors. The lush vegetation, the humidity and the rushing, cascading water really does give a tropical feel to the place and I'm glad I went to experience the Falls.

You go up from the beach - after having had your photo taken - no escaping!
    Encouraged to hold hands to help you steady yourself it is good fun and I was surprised to find that most people managed it to the top. I'm glad I hired the non-slip shoes though. The rocks did feel quite slippery. You climb up the Falls at quite a leisurely pace and it didnt feel as though we were being forced up there too quickly. Once at the top you get changed and then walk back to your coach/bus/car/bike etc through the craft stalls not forgetting to buy your photo on the way.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Dunn’s River Falls - beach & other facilities

by toonsarah Updated Mar 27, 2008

Beach at Dunn's River

When we tired of watching the falls we headed to the small beach at their foot. Admission to this beach is included in the cost of admission to the falls, and there is no other access to it, so consequently it was fairly quiet and quite pretty. I enjoyed cooling off in the pool at the foot of the falls and also had a swim in the sea. There is a cordoned-off area for the latter, to separate swimmers from the jet-skis that operate here. The water temperature in the sea varied greatly, from warm to quite chilly to warm again in the space of just a few strokes – I imagine that this is caused by the cold rushing water from the falls pouring into the much warmer sea water, but it made for an interesting swimming experience!

If you want to swim or to climb the falls there are a few wooden changing cubicles down near the beach, and others at the top of the falls to change in when you climb out – although the warm sun should dry you quite quickly. Other facilities include hair-braiding and ice-cream stalls (we had a lovely chocolate frozen yoghurt). Nearer the entrance is a cluster of food stalls where we bought some refreshing Red Stripe beers – there’s also jerk pork and chicken, patties and other snacks available.

Between the falls and this area is the infamous craft market – we had been warned through tips elsewhere on VT, as well as by Elise at the Blue House, that hassling was a real problem here, but we didn’t find it so. Perhaps the stall-holders are more laid-back on a Sunday (see photo 4 for a good example of laid-back!), perhaps they’d just had some good sales from other tourists (though it seemed fairly quiet that day) or perhaps our firm but friendly “We’re not shopping today thanks” was enough to deter them – whatever the reason, we had no problems at all.

Admission to the falls is US$15 per person (adults) and US$12 (children 2-12 years).

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Dunn’s River Falls - the falls

by toonsarah Updated Mar 27, 2008

Dunn's River Falls

This is the best known, and arguably the most hyped, tourist attraction in the Ocho Rios area. However, the falls are well worth a visit and the development has thankfully failed to mask their attractiveness, despite what appear to be considerable efforts to do so!

The “done thing” here is to climb the falls. A group of tourists, usually bussed in from a cruise ship, lines up hand in hand at the base of the falls and is led up from ledge to ledge by an experienced guide. It can be slippery but is quite safe, providing you wear the rubber shoes that can be hired or bought (or take your own if you have them). We were in two minds whether to join a group for this activity however, and in the end decided against it – partly because I’m not the most agile of people, partly because Chris is not very keen on getting that wet, and partly because the cattle-train approach to shepherding people up the falls seemed somehow out of keeping with the beauty of our surroundings. So we contented ourselves with enjoying the various views of the falls from the wooden steps and platforms along the edge – and, I must confess, with laughing at the struggles of some of older ladies, in particular, who found it hard to stay on their feet in the swift current (see photo 2)!

The surrounding gardens are nicely maintained and the vegetation is lush; the overall effect is very pretty despite the commercialisation. As well as the falls themselves, the colourful tropical flowers and a very large spider (see photo 4) kept my camera clicking happily for some time.

Continued in next tip

• siver's Profile Photo

Dunn's River Fall

by siver Written Feb 27, 2008

we did not buy the excusion from the cruise. And found out that the local tours all having fixed price on this, $8 per person for the transportation-round trip between terminal and the park, $15 park fee per person, ($12 for kid younger than 13), you may also need to buy or rent water shoes if you did not bring your own, and $5 for a locker.

overall, it is a bit much for just climbing the fall, but it is fun, also considering this is the only attraction in ocho rios.

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

Dunn's River Falls Walk

by mstinawu Written Jun 17, 2007

This was the best part of our trip to Jamaica. You basically climb your back up a huge water fall that ends in the ocean. There are lots of little crevices and fun places to explore on your way up. Don't forget your swim suit and water socks!

Tip: Don't take the guide because they will make you go in one straight line one after another--just explore your own way up the falls; it's more fun that way!

• LeslieFun's Profile Photo

Climb the Falls!

by LeslieFun Written May 3, 2007

Entrance to the park.

Dunn's River Falls is beautiful! 10 of the 13 of us climbed it. Two of them were in their 60's. Everyone enjoyed it and they did use a guide and were thankful they had as it helped them navigate better. A tip was asked for and given at the end, but he really was very helpful and nice.

We were supposed to take a sunset cruise on a catamaran but it was booked for a wedding party. I have heard great things about it though!

The beach was very nice at Dunn's River and not too busy when we were there. This must have been an off season as at times we felt as if we were the only tourists except for a Thursday when a cruise ship pulled in.

Be warned as you leave the park, you must go through the craft stands. We were pressed for time and knew our driver was waiting, so we felt a bit bombarded by the crafts people. Again, there weren't many tourists there that day. They tried to "give" us a free gift and then tried to get money from us but when it wasn't what they thought it should be, they tried to get us to give them more. Finally, they could see our frustration and offered to take it back. If I had more time, I wouldn't have minded just talking with them and looking around, but just felt overwhelmed. Some of our group got out a bit before us and were able to find some nice souvenirs and good deals.

• National/State Park

• chingay's Profile Photo

Dunn River Falls

by chingay Written Apr 29, 2007

Dunn River Falls is one of the premier attractions in Ocho Rios. I highly recommend going. The only downside is that it tends to get too crowded because all the tourists want to go. I have heard that the best day to go is Sunday because there are no cruise ships at port and therefore there are fewer visitors.

The vendors are kind of aggressive. Just walk fast and do not make eye contact if you are not interested in buying anything. If you respond to them then they won't leave you alone.

• jennwerner's Profile Photo

Climb Dunn's River Falls

by jennwerner Written Apr 10, 2007

It is a short ride to the Park which the falls are located in. The cost for admission for Americans is 15 bucks for adults and 12 for children. Our admission was paid through the shore excursion on the ship. When you arrive at the falls,. You can either rent for 5 bucks water shoes or buy a new pair for 15. I suggest if you can pack your own that way you don’t have to rent or buy theirs. Once you get your watershoes you are then taken to the locker area by your guide. The guides are fabulous. The cost to rent a locker is 8 Bucks. You get 3 of it back at the end of your journey. The guides offer to take your camera up the falls for you so you can get some shots. At first we were hesitant as we had just shelled out 200 bucks for a new camera but in the end we were glad we did. He got some great shots.
    You are led to the restrooms and warned that the water is cold. I honeslty didn’t think it was that cold. Then you are led to the falls. You join hands and begin the ascent up the 950 ft falls. IT is amazing and fun. Things to watch for are slippery rocks, holes in between rocks, rushing water. The force of the water in some spots is really strong. They take several photos on the way up and give you some info about the falls. It was a blast I am so glad we did this. We saw some scary looking spiders and webs and even a little crab out for a stroll on the rock ledge. We also saw a cool looking bird. At the end of the trip the guides tell you they work for tips. We tipped 30 american cause we were pleased with the pictures they took. You are also offered to buy a dvd of your climb for 40 bucks. You can and should negotiate this price. We got them down to 20 bucks. We didn’t buy it though. Another thing when leaving the park the people selling stuff are obnoxious. Just don’t look at them and keep on waling and they wont bother you. They handed my nieces and nephew a turtle and my sister had to take it away cause they wanted too much money for it. All in all a must see and a must do…

• Water Sports

• Dunn's River Falls

by timmo99 Written Mar 7, 2007

Take the tour and climb the falls that lead from the beach up a hillside to teh top fo the falls. The falls are especially cold and make sure you are into your fellow man since when you climb the falls everyone is in a line and holding hands.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

Dunns River Falls

by KarenandCory Updated Feb 3, 2007

One of the most popular things to do while in the Ocho Rios area is climb Dunn's River Falls.
    You can climb the 6oo feet falls with a group, holding hands as you go. I would have preferred being able to climb on my own, using my hands to balance. The rocks are slippery and you most likely will fall. I backed out of the group and waited on dry land with my pregnant sister-in-law. If I was on my own with no pressure to keep up with a group, I would have done it. But with my back problems and fear of heights/falling I was happy to just watch and take pictures.
    A cruise ship was in port and it was also a holiday so many locals were here. I would like to visit the falls when there are less people. They are quite pretty!

You can rent water shoes (another fact I didn't like...uncomfortable, toe-fungus filled shoes) or wear old sneakers. Be sure to bring a water proof camera- you will get wet!

• Dunn's River Falls

by clumsi Written Nov 26, 2006

Dunn's River Falls

One of Jamaica's most famous visitor attractions is the stunning Dunn's River Falls. Many visitors climb the waterfalls from the beach right to the top, stopping on the way to enjoy the cool plunge pools formed naturally in the river rocks and the waterfalls.

We booked a tour with Phil Lafayette and had a wonderful time. www.phil-lafayette-tours.com

*Remember to bring watersocks if you're doing the wet climb*

• Cruise
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Ocho Rios

• May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Dunn River Falls is beautiful but beware. I slipped on a rock almost fell over a stranger grabbed me around my waist, he saved my life. Also, i was wearing water shoes. Next time I will admire the falls from the steps.

Other Things to Do in Ocho Rios